PDA

View Full Version : Running In your new Jazz VTi

Cookieboy1987
17-08-2009, 04:12 PM
Hi All,

Ive just recently purchased my first brand new car, and its a 2008 built Jazz VTi-S.

Cause its my first car, i was wondering if anyone can give me advice on how to run in my car? what i should do and any other handy hints about the Jazz i might need to know.

Also any cool stuff to get to add on the car itself.

Thanks All in Advance !

dyljoy
18-08-2009, 02:06 AM
Jazz is real fun car to run, stylish and fuel friendly, u can read my post about how to build up my jazz, have fun!

twing
18-08-2009, 11:45 AM
congrats on the new purchase.

try to avoid constant rpm as much as possible. Avoid freeway driving if you can.

Cookieboy1987
18-08-2009, 02:52 PM
Cool thanks for that, ill avoid the freeways for the 1st week or so then.

Also ive read many threads about the Fuel.

Everyone seems to be using BP Ultimate, really is there a massive difference between that and Caltex Vortex??

Cause i always use Vortex from my 98 model Corolla and it seems to run quite well..

If BP is better for the Jazz, i will change, but i want to make sure its a difference ull know in the long run, eg maintenance etc.

twing
18-08-2009, 03:11 PM
jazz is designed for ron91, so just use 91 petrol from a good station. Don't use the ethanol blend though.

rossw
18-08-2009, 03:28 PM
jazz is designed for ron91, so just use 91 petrol from a good station. Don't use the ethanol blend though.

Why not? The Jazz is designed to be OK with E10. Helps keep water out of the fuel system too.

All the horror stories you've heard are from people using it in cars not built for it.

Just make sure you get at least a 3% price difference between it and 91RON or you won't save any money.

twing
18-08-2009, 03:43 PM
It won't cause major breakdown on jazz.
I tried the ethanol blend, and confirmed to get less km compare to normal 91 on my civic. Feel free to try it on ur car.

MM89
18-08-2009, 07:29 PM
new cars should be run in hard.
especially with the smooth cylinder surfaces in today's
engines. piston rings need to be heated up so they will
expand and make a good seal; thus no power loss.

rossw
19-08-2009, 06:14 AM
new cars should be run in hard.
especially with the smooth cylinder surfaces in today's
engines. piston rings need to be heated up so they will
expand and make a good seal; thus no power loss.

True enough, but not running for long periods at constant speed or in the same gear, and building up the use of high revs gradually over 1000 km. Also no hard braking for 1000km.

It's not just the engine that runs in, it's the clutch, gearbox, the diff and the brakes also. Yes run the engine in hard, but vary the speed and go easy on the clutch, brakes and gears. Otherwise the clutch will become grabby and the brakes will vibrate.

Mirage
19-08-2009, 11:24 AM
True enough, but not running for long periods at constant speed or in the same gear, and building up the use of high revs gradually over 1000 km. Also no hard braking for 1000km.

It's not just the engine that runs in, it's the clutch, gearbox, the diff and the brakes also. Yes run the engine in hard, but vary the speed and go easy on the clutch, brakes and gears. Otherwise the clutch will become grabby and the brakes will vibrate.

Thats true, for our new car. the dealer told us to give it a bit in 2nd gear to loosen the engine. and take it easy on the other gears.

hoey888
19-08-2009, 01:01 PM
0-1000km.... baby it gentley as mentioned by people above
1000-3000km...slowly start giving it a few ocassional squirts
5000+...thrash it, i personally find that engine braking is benefical, so try do this as much as you can as i read somewhere it lubricates the cylinders better

Cookieboy1987
19-08-2009, 01:11 PM
Cool thanks everyone!!! Thats awesome. Ill hopefully stick by all the suggestions!

UNLS1
19-08-2009, 02:43 PM
dont be a pussy!

drive it like u stole it!

forget all this other light braking crap.

the only thing is try not to use cruise for the first 1000km

rossw
20-08-2009, 01:39 PM
dont be a pussy!

drive it like u stole it!

forget all this other light braking crap.

the only thing is try not to use cruise for the first 1000km
Why you should properly bed in your brake pads when you change them. (http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_bedintheory.shtml) (I presume your new car came with new brake pads?)

LonSkii
21-08-2009, 01:05 PM
congrats on the new purchase.

try to avoid constant rpm as much as possible. Avoid freeway driving if you can.

Just wondering , why avoid freeway driving? . it would save more petrol rather than going thru all the traffic lights?

yourfather
21-08-2009, 01:14 PM
Hi All,

Ive just recently purchased my first brand new car, and its a 2008 built Jazz VTi-S.

Cause its my first car, i was wondering if anyone can give me advice on how to run in my car? what i should do and any other handy hints about the Jazz i might need to know.

Also any cool stuff to get to add on the car itself.

Thanks All in Advance !

remove the seats and get a small type treadmill?

http://coloradoblogging.com/besttreadmill.gif

twing
21-08-2009, 01:31 PM
Just wondering , why avoid freeway driving? . it would save more petrol rather than going thru all the traffic lights?

Quote from other forum:
http://www.hondacarforum.com/honda-3/17859-break.html

Constant rpm set the piston rings and cylinder to wear at that rpm,
making them not as good they should be.

It is also mentioned in my civic manual, to vary the speed during brake in period.
It does sounds wasting a petrol. It is just for first 1000k which should cover 1-2 full tank of petrol.
Small sacrifice for long term benefit.

LonSkii
21-08-2009, 02:36 PM
Thank you very much for the info, i never heard anything like this before. but it does make sense ;)

preludacris
10-09-2009, 04:15 PM
i've heard the best way to break in an engine is to do it hard.

well, always let it warm up properly first. don't go above 75% throttle, and stay 1000rpm or so away from red line. but other than that, go pretty hard

other than that rev it through out the rev range, and through the gears, and do plenty of engine braking.

good place to take it is to yarra blvd or something. can use plenty of 2nd 3rd and 4th gear, plenty of engine braking, minimal disc braking.

samsung001
11-09-2009, 12:53 AM
dun worry too much about the run-in thing. how long you gonna keep the car? 5 yrs ? probably less than that rite ? i believe your car won't hv any problem in 5 yrs as long as you service it regularly...enjoy your new car !

LonSkii
11-09-2009, 11:37 AM
^^^^ true. it has 6 yrs warrenty anyway.

samsung001
11-09-2009, 11:44 AM
yes...Vtec it all the time ......but you won't notice the vtec kickin...don't you? hahaha..

LonSkii
11-09-2009, 11:49 AM
ha ha ha .. very funny .. lucky i can feel g-force on my soup :P

samsung001
11-09-2009, 02:21 PM
nah.....no way....u must be dreaming to drive an EP3R.;)