PDA

View Full Version : Anyone running HID on stock headlights

hourpung
17-08-2009, 06:31 PM
Just wandering if anyone is running any HID kit on their current headlights.

Im planning on ordering a kit from the US and running on a DC5 Base 2002 stock headlights. Apparently its better than running it on aftermarket projectors headlights.

Dr.k20z1
17-08-2009, 08:54 PM
most ppl do run hids on their normal headlights, unless you are gettin retrofitted projectors, i wouldnt get ebay headlights!

of course its gonna look better with projectors! but hey! its only lights! whatever helps u see better!

DC5-4ME
17-08-2009, 08:57 PM
Just wandering if anyone is running any HID kit on their current headlights.

Im planning on ordering a kit from the US and running on a DC5 Base 2002 stock headlights. Apparently its better than running it on aftermarket projectors headlights.

Mine are on my stock reflector headlights :). There's nothing wrong with them. They're fine. But even if it were aftermarket, a projector would always be better than a reflector housing. The cut off is just so good and you'd never be able to replicate that with a reflector. Light from reflectors are just too scattered.

hourpung
17-08-2009, 09:00 PM
Mine are on my stock reflector headlights :). There's nothing wrong with them. They're fine. But even if it were aftermarket, a projector would always be better than a reflector housing. The cut off is just so good and you'd never be able to replicate that with a reflector. Light from reflectors are just too scattered.

are you guys getting done by cops on the road or high beams from cars from the opposite direction?

I am planning on using stock headlights and if i adjust it correctly it shoudl be fine right?

Not much topic on HID here. I got quoted about 2k for retrofitted projectors and HID. So im gonna go stock.

DC5-4ME
17-08-2009, 09:14 PM
are you guys getting done by cops on the road or high beams from cars from the opposite direction?

I am planning on using stock headlights and if i adjust it correctly it shoudl be fine right?

Not much topic on HID here. I got quoted about 2k for retrofitted projectors and HID. So im gonna go stock.

I personally think retrofitted projectors look ugly and for 2k? You can DIY. HID kits are only about $200-300. I've had mine for about a month or so now and i've occasionally gotten flashed (or that could just be cause my car is sexy). Still need to adjust a little though. But my bf has had his on with reflectors for 3 years and has had no trouble with the cops or other drivers :)

Dr.k20z1
17-08-2009, 09:24 PM

if ur scared about cops then dont modify or anything LOL.. if they really dislike you they will do you for anything.

just adjust the hids downwards so your not annoying other drivers.

definately not worth 2k tho for sure..

hourpung
17-08-2009, 09:35 PM
if ur scared about cops then dont modify or anything LOL.. if they really dislike you they will do you for anything.

just adjust the hids downwards so your not annoying other drivers.

definately not worth 2k tho for sure..

thanks for the info guys. im definately gonna order a kit now.

Should i go 6500k or 8000k? 35watts or 55 watts?

im leaning towards 8000k.

chargeR
18-08-2009, 08:36 AM
DC5 lights spray light everywhere once fitted with an aftermarket HID kit. Be prepared to blind every other poor soul on the road.

hourpung
18-08-2009, 09:05 AM
DC5 lights spray light everywhere once fitted with an aftermarket HID kit. Be prepared to blind every other poor soul on the road.

Sigh. People in the states say that its fine to fit stock head lights with a HID Kit?

TypeS
18-08-2009, 09:06 AM
For the love of god, please don't get Hid's on your stock reflectors. Retrofit some quality projectors yourself. A full kit with projectors is going to cost you only $600 including quality ballasts. PM me I sell them.

hourpung
18-08-2009, 09:20 AM
For the love of god, please don't get Hid's on your stock reflectors. Retrofit some quality projectors yourself. A full kit with projectors is going to cost you only $600 including quality ballasts. PM me I sell them.

just thinking if its really that bad. Im sure the guys from retro solutions would of warn me not to put them in my stock headlights. However, they said that heaps of people are doing it and its fine.

Mr_will
18-08-2009, 09:34 AM
i friking hate people who run HID's on stock housings. think of other road users ffs.

TypeS
18-08-2009, 09:50 AM
just thinking if its really that bad. Im sure the guys from retro solutions would of warn me not to put them in my stock headlights. However, they said that heaps of people are doing it and its fine.

Don't worry too much about people in the states running them, they are mostly 16/17 year olds with nothing but $20 in the wallet.

Just to give you an idea here's what the typical output from reflectors with hid kits is like;

http://www.intellexual.net/hids/5.jpg

Compared with Retrofits;

http://www.intellexual.net/hids/ece.jpg

This is how blinding it is for oncoming traffic, when your running hid kits on stock reflectors;

http://www.intellexual.net/hids/4.jpg

hourpung
18-08-2009, 09:51 AM
i friking hate people who run HID's on stock housings. think of other road users ffs.

Yeah i know what you mean. I hate it as well. But i did mention the exact same problem to retro solutions and this is a quote of their reply.

"Hello.

No problem, that is what we are here for.
1) You can use the H1 kits on the stock headlamps yes. The stock lamps for the Dc5 are very good optics, they do not create much glare themselves. "

iinjektd
19-08-2009, 01:27 PM
Ive got a HID kit on my stock headlights and it is quiet annoying
the amount of times ive been high beamed at..
trust me man, u wont enjoy driving as much at night..
thinking when the next person is going to high beam you..
I wanna get rid of mine.. or fix the problem..
i havnt adjusted them yet.. so that might be the solution..
but i rarely drive my car at night so im lucky, bcos i work at night..
and i drive the work van.. so changing them right now isn't really a priority..

J_Phongsavan
27-08-2009, 08:23 AM
is your 2002 DC5 actually a type S or just the luxury model but the prefacelift? if its the 2001-2004 luxury model, why dont you get DC5 headlights with OEM HIDs? im not sure if its AUDM or JDM factory but i have them factory on my car, no aftermarket HIDs on em on my car.. 2003-2004 i thinks come in standard factory HIDs, correct me if im wrong.

heres an example for sale to see for yourself.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-DC5-Integra-Type-R-HID-Black-Housing-Headlights-RSX_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33710QQihZ016QQitem Z260462639753QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

DC5-4ME
27-08-2009, 10:54 PM
is your 2002 DC5 actually a type S or just the luxury model but the prefacelift? if its the 2001-2004 luxury model, why dont you get DC5 headlights with OEM HIDs? im not sure if its AUDM or JDM factory but i have them factory on my car, no aftermarket HIDs on em on my car.. 2003-2004 i thinks come in standard factory HIDs, correct me if im wrong.

heres an example for sale to see for yourself.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-DC5-Integra-Type-R-HID-Black-Housing-Headlights-RSX_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33710QQihZ016QQitem Z260462639753QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Jason, AUDM DC5's DON'T have OEM HIDs. Your car - the guy installed aftermarket one on. Didn't you know that? You also got them redone at Autojoy because you wanted to change the whole thing, remember? That is also aftermarket, Jason.

A prefacelift model of a DC5 don't come in Type S - only 2005-06 models.

You do know that it's illegal to have HIDs in your car without projectors and washers. And Honda Australia absolutely would not compliance a DC5 with HIDs. Maybe overseas but I'm pretty sure not here in Australia.

Have you noticed some stock cars which have OEM HIDs/Xenon lights have projectors and washers? That way it wouldn't be as blinding as yours.

J_Phongsavan
28-08-2009, 12:56 AM
Jason, AUDM DC5's DON'T have OEM HIDs. Your car - the guy installed aftermarket one on. Didn't you know that? You also got them redone at Autojoy because you wanted to change the whole thing, remember? That is also aftermarket, Jason.

A prefacelift model of a DC5 don't come in Type S - only 2005-06 models.

You do know that it's illegal to have HIDs in your car without projectors and washers. And Honda Australia absolutely would not compliance a DC5 with HIDs. Maybe overseas but I'm pretty sure not here in Australia.

Have you noticed some stock cars which have OEM HIDs/Xenon lights have projectors and washers? That way it wouldn't be as blinding as yours.

1. LOL whats with the harsh sentences everytime julie? as what you mentioned julie, half of it i was sure, but not sure with the factory headlights, thats why i went correct me if im wrong for what i thought, meaning im not even 100% sure myself. i already did the research right after i first post in the thread and realise that it wasnt factory.
2. his profile has this:
Car: Integra 02 Type S
Trade Rating: (0)
already knew that its the base model but i could be mistaken but i wasnt. i had to ask and make sure lol.

bmybny
28-08-2009, 11:47 AM
Hey TypeS

can you explain how the retrofit is done and what comes in the kit.

TypeS
28-08-2009, 10:27 PM
Hey TypeS

can you explain how the retrofit is done and what comes in the kit.

Sure for obvious reasons I can't go into too much detail but the kit includes;

Projectors
Hid Bulbs
Hid Ballasts
Angel Eyes
Projector bases
Wiring harness
Sealant
No-splice wire taps
Waterproof connection seals

Retrofitting accord projectors is a bit gritty and requires a bit of cutting, on the other hand bmw projectors is easier and is bolt on.

Retrofitting bmw projectors requires;

Opening the headlights using a heat gun or oven
Inter-placing the low beam to the projectors , you'll still retain your high beam.
Applying sealant, and heating it all together
Letting it cool
Installing and wiring it all up, wiring will require splicing the OEM connections though
Aligning and enjoying!

Manabir
29-08-2009, 08:16 AM
why does everyone hang shit on ebay projectors?

i took this pix lastnight.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y82/Manabir/P1010062.jpg
left is ebay projectors running 6000K HID (in a 99 prelude)
middle is stock reflectors runnng 8000K HID (98 prelude)
right is factory HID projectors (07 euro lux)

yes the factory projectors are better...but the ones are still very good and sooooooo much better than HID in stock reflectors.

just think...if you were driving, which one would you prefer to see coming?
ebay projectors
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y82/Manabir/P1010064.jpg
factory projectors
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y82/Manabir/P1010063.jpg
or HID in reflectors
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y82/Manabir/P1010066.jpg

please dont run HID in stock reflectors.

vcreation
30-08-2009, 02:42 PM
What's wrong with running HID in stock headlights? nothing wrong with that, it's just lights. HiD gives better wide area light and better reflect on road signs and marks and look better.
please tell me what's wrong with HID running in stock lights
http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx252/vcreation/06082009422.jpg

been using 8000k hid for a year never had problem with cops
http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx252/vcreation/23082009433.jpg

curtis265
30-08-2009, 03:07 PM
8000k is illegal and too blue anyway.
most reflectors were never mean to take the light from HID's

The thing is, for FD civics... in canada they come with HIDs. In Japan, the cmoe with HID's in NZ they also can come with HID's. Howcome not here? It's the same reflector.

Manabir
30-08-2009, 05:37 PM
What's wrong with running HID in stock headlights? nothing wrong with that, it's just lights. HiD gives better wide area light and better reflect on road signs and marks and look better.
please tell me what's wrong with HID running in stock lights
IMAGE NOT QUOTED

been using 8000k hid for a year never had problem with cops
IMAGE NOT QUOTED

ok...have you noticed that dc2/4 tegs use a projector? HID in projector and HID in reflector are totally different storied.