PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Transmission Oil Level

Redteg
18-11-2003, 01:19 PM
Now guys, I believe I'm mechanically inclined, and I've changed the oil in my Teg's automajik tranny before, but, does anyone have any trouble measuring just how much fluid there is in there? Do you run the car till it reaches operating temperature and then turn the engine off and check? This is the method that has been suggested to me.

It seems as though even when there is the correct amount of fluid in there (3 litres for a partial oil change according to the helms manual) the level does not correspond anywhere between the two dots on the dipstick.

I'm sure its because the fill tube has a few curves in it, but the dipstick just shows oil all over it!

I'm afraid of stuffing anything up by adding some oil so i'm just going to swap it out again. Been a year anyway.

vti-2
18-11-2003, 01:23 PM
Hope this is not too off topic...

Is there a list somewhere that shows how much oil each transmission holds for the various Honda models? For example: how much oil a manual DC2 VTi-R transmission holds and how many litres the owner would need to do a change?

If we can get more info or some sort of list, i'll make this a sticky at the top of the page. :)

Hope that also helps you Redteg.

wynode
18-11-2003, 01:26 PM
Redteg, with auto's after it has reached operating temprature, you sometimes need to move it through the gears (P, R, N D etc) to get the oil filling the various chambers. Do that and then check your level.

As for manual transmission, I don't know how much the box holds, but generally you just fill it till the top :)

vti-2
18-11-2003, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by wynode:
As for manual transmission, I don't know how much the box holds, but generally you just fill it till the top

There must be some sort of guide out there.

Dxs
18-11-2003, 02:29 PM
guys, have u checked your owners booklet?
i think that might have the transmisson oil capicity, i know it has the engine oil capacity..

SiNH
18-11-2003, 02:41 PM
You have to double check this.

If the manual says its needs 5L of ATF then I would be weary.

There are two sumps that holds the oil, the gearbox and torque converter.

The torque converter may take 2L of the 5 and the box takes the other 3L.

So when the manual states its takes 5L it actually means 5L in total if you drained the sump and torque converter.

The dip stick is right, if you go past the dots at operating temp then you have over filled.

wynode
18-11-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by wynode:
As for manual transmission, I don't know how much the box holds, but generally you just fill it till the top

There must be some sort of guide out there.

Who cares!!? Just fill up untill the oil gets to the top! :P

Redteg
18-11-2003, 07:51 PM
Thanks boys,

I went and bought 3L of Honda's finest ATF and swapped my old castrol out. Smoother shifts, holds gears a bit longer, nice and crisp. I think I'll get a new air filter and plugs before Sunday.

Washed it top to bottom today, already waxed the rims, I'll start on the body tonight; it's gonna take a while.