PDA

View Full Version : noisy reverse

sw1fty
18-08-2009, 11:07 PM
Hey guys
i just changed all the bearings and seals in my gearbox since 2 of the bearings were pretty badly fked...
anyway after putting it all back in and testing it, the reverse is now very noisy and hard to engage. i havent tested it with load on it yet (just let the wheels spin on the jack stands)

anyway is this a normal problem? will it be resolved after running in?

im positive that ive put the gearsets back in the right way, but this is the first time ive done any work on the transmission... so im not really sure if this is to be expected...

cheers,
Tom.

B18cEG
18-08-2009, 11:58 PM
Hey guys
i just changed all the bearings and seals in my gearbox since 2 of the bearings were pretty badly fked...
anyway after putting it all back in and testing it, the reverse is now very noisy and hard to engage. i havent tested it with load on it yet (just let the wheels spin on the jack stands)

anyway is this a normal problem? will it be resolved after running in?

im positive that ive put the gearsets back in the right way, but this is the first time ive done any work on the transmission... so im not really sure if this is to be expected...

cheers,
Tom.

What type of fluid have you put in it? Honda MTF06?

sw1fty
19-08-2009, 10:14 PM
What type of fluid have you put in it? Honda MTF06?

just put ordinary engine oil in it for now, but the manual says that engine oil is fine

JohnL
20-08-2009, 08:20 AM
Reverse gear is always noisy because the gears are 'straight cut', not 'helical cut'. You need to determine whether your reverse gear is abnormally noisy, keeping in mind that with the wheels in the air and no load on the gears they may well be rather 'rattley' in a way that they won't be when the car is on the ground and actually reversing with a constant load on the gear teeth.

My nephew has a Civic with a rather strangely noisy reverse gear. Most of the time it's 'normal', but sometimes it makes an unusually loud 'grinding / crunching' sound (more commonly on hot days with a hot gearbox). When it makes this noise he has to reverse very slowly (i.e. using minimal torque) to prevent the problem (more like keep it to a minimum).

My best guess as to the nature of this particular problem is that the reverse gear might be moving too close to another gear (an end play problem, so maybe a worn thrust washer?) and in some circumstances lightly contacting the teeth of this other gear.

sw1fty
20-08-2009, 07:50 PM
John,
thanks for the info. ill leave it for a while and see if it persists, and ill take it easy in reverse. it does sound quite a bit louder than before the gearbox was fixed though.

fat_85_civic
21-08-2009, 02:57 PM
if you just did all that work to the box why would you not spend the extra 40 bucks and use real gearbox oil?

sw1fty
22-08-2009, 09:08 AM
if you just did all that work to the box why would you not spend the extra 40 bucks and use real gearbox oil?

im planning to change it once the car is running

on that, how much is honda mtf? and what are the (cheaper) alternatives?

blk_shadow
22-08-2009, 09:49 AM
im planning to change it once the car is running

on that, how much is honda mtf? and what are the (cheaper) alternatives?

Honda MTF 06 is about $17 per litre. I would use genuine fluid.

sw1fty
22-08-2009, 05:47 PM
update: after many attempts to get reverse working, ive come to the conclusion that something is wrong. it wont even engage with any sort of load on it... just grinds.

so im going to take the tranny out again tonight... :(

ECU-MAN
24-08-2009, 05:16 PM

there is nothing wrong with using engine oil in the gearbox

sw1fty
30-08-2009, 09:12 PM
so i found out what the problem was, the reverse idler gear was in the wrong way around!
didnt seem like it would make a difference but apparently it does...
anyway pulled it out again and put it back in in under 10 hours so wasnt too bad.
works fine now but im gonna get some MTF soon as shifting requires much more force with the (thicker) engine oil in it

ECU-MAN
31-08-2009, 09:07 AM
if you notice on the revers idler there are shamfered teeth on on side to help the gear mesh. put it in the wrong way and you will crunch when selecting revers.