PDA

View Full Version : 1/3 ride height...

fried
18-11-2003, 01:45 PM
anybody know what ours is? the dc2 i mean....

and then all that other stuff about lights being certain distnace from ground etc?

ps, is dc2 gsi, dc2 vtir, and dc2r all dif in height?

tanghy
18-11-2003, 01:56 PM
gsi is higher than vtir which is higher than R

fried
18-11-2003, 01:59 PM
so whats ride height fro vtir?

ginganggooly
18-11-2003, 02:05 PM
stock ground clearance for GSi and VTi-r is 150mm, stock overall height is 1,335mm.
this will vary over time though....

... and the ITR sits 15mm lower apparently.

b16a_integra
18-11-2003, 02:09 PM
also would depend if youve had alot of weight in the car for long periods of time, the springs would start to compress over time.

fried
18-11-2003, 02:09 PM
slim i wanna see ur car again, and remind me how mine will look AHAHAHAHa!!!!

im going 1.5".....

u missed out on all my stress wiht exhausts etc.... so now ima do suspension first.... lol

ginganggooly
18-11-2003, 02:11 PM
stress?? what happened?

fried
18-11-2003, 02:15 PM
lol [sorry wyn.. off tpoic, i know]

just had soo many questions... coudlnt decide exactly what i wanted to do... was afraid most of all of stuffing up my car.... like doing something and losing performance or soemthing jsut going wrong, and money etc....

rah rah rah....

so springs and shocks it is... just gotta decide if its springs installed and then shocks later... or to wait bit longer and do it together... but i want my ride to look mad NOW!!!! lol....

u reckon i should jsut get cheapo king springs? and konis red / bilsteins.... or get good springs too... like eibachs with the koni reds / bilsteins....!!??!

get on msn man! lol

vti-2
18-11-2003, 02:23 PM
Do it right the first time! I can't stress how much time, money and headaches you will save if you just save and get the best the first time around. :)

fried
18-11-2003, 03:07 PM
eheheh read ur other whats ur budget post.....

okok... so heres the thing i want to do... lower my teg 1.5"

my options ARE to either

1. kings springs installed...... and later (3 months or so) get koni reds or bilstein shocks

2. eibach springs installed ..... and later (3 months or so) get koni reds or bilstein shocks

3.kings springs AND koni reds or bilstiens installed together.....

4. eibach springs AND koni reds or bilstein installed together....

obviously 3 and 4.... will incurr me having to wait a longer period before being able to get them.

i heard that springs are not THAT important, as long as ur shocks are good. becuase springs essentially adjust the height of ur ride, and it is ur shocks that determine stiffness hardness bumpyness of ur ride.

if that is the case, then id prolly go with option 3, because it means i can get it sooner... or even better option one... which would mean i could get it RIGHT now......

budget..... i guess whatever the bilsteins and eibahcs add up to.....
so..... 1300 plus intall hopefully... MAX.....

but obvioulsy, we'd all love to spend the least, without ruining our cars...

vti-2
18-11-2003, 03:38 PM
I'd go with option 4 (Eibach/Bilstein). I've heard Koni's are not bad either. Is Eibach the German brand?

Insolence
18-11-2003, 06:10 PM
Might be also worth getting some kyb shocks priced up. Where quite a bit cheaper for me when i was getting mine done and ive been very pleased with the results.

I would definately wait though and get shocks and springs done together. Sure you may have to wait longer but in the end it will be less expensive and you wont have any dramas with spring and shocks not matching.

fried
18-11-2003, 06:13 PM
see i was gettting them sourced from CIVIC SI on this forum.. theres a MARKET PLACE thread.... so i was thinking if the charges for installation were doubled then id do one at a time, but if it costs bout the same to get both done then yeah...

but good call bout things not matching....

Redteg
18-11-2003, 09:38 PM
We can put the springs in ourtselves fried! Have a suspension meet!

its a piece of cake, save money! I did my own; its good bonding time with the car.

I want to go alot lower these holidays, 3cms is great for handling, but not enough to make the car sexy. I'll get lower springs and shocks, go all out to retain travel and such. Problem is the car is low as, and it scrapes, yet it doesn't look low.

I'm sick of hearing "Really? It doesn't look lowered!"

joneblaze
19-11-2003, 12:16 AM
hey Manuel! good idea man! :P
if other technically minded ppl give the all clear for DIY spring installation id love to be involved :) we can all discuss that more on Sunday. and you have a spring compressor too right? awesome. saving money and learning more bout car = good.

jon

Redteg
19-11-2003, 05:59 AM
ye I have spring compressors, trolley jack, and many tools. I reckon it would take me 1 hour either end now, and it'd be quicker with extra hands.

I've pulled the suspension a few of times on the teg, and really, it isn't all that hard. It could allow us to do a write-up with pics and beer and everything.

Even on my old-ass car all the nuts and bolts came off easily.

Also let me clean and paint the suspension bits easily... its a sickness

one more chance
19-11-2003, 12:35 PM
slim i wanna see ur car again, and remind me how mine will look AHAHAHAHa!!!!

im going 1.5".....

u missed out on all my stress wiht exhausts etc.... so now ima do suspension first.... lol

dont go 1.5" lower...as you will be kicking yourself to why you didnt go lower... i went for 1.5" the 1st time around, then wasn't happy with it, then went 2.5" lower a week later. as vti-2 said, do it right the first time.
i have 2.5" lowered kmac springs and koni adjustable dampers....for everyday driving i have the dampers set to very soft.....so the drive is not bad at all...

fried
19-11-2003, 01:30 PM
i gotta kep it legal man... otherwise i will no longer be covered through insurance.

ALSO, im on stockies (15") mate, so 1.5" closes the gap between the rubber and the guard, which is what will make me one VERY happy dc2 owner.

kekeke

i think it looks great!

thanks for the warning but..... i'll remember ur words with regards when i get them in and regret not heeding them LOL

one more chance
19-11-2003, 01:43 PM
i gotta kep it legal man... otherwise i will no longer be covered through insurance.

ALSO, im on stockies (15") mate, so 1.5" closes the gap between the rubber and the guard, which is what will make me one VERY happy dc2 owner.

kekeke

i think it looks great!

thanks for the warning but..... i'll remember ur words with regards when i get them in and regret not heeding them LOL

fair enough man, yeh insurance can be a real bother....who are you with?
go with justcars as they basicaly have no restrictions on what you can do to your car..... :lol:
as for defects...well that another story! :cry: :oops:

fried
19-11-2003, 02:06 PM
HA... see i guess i could go with anyone who would give me insurance, CEPT most places wnat ALOT of premium from me... nrma wants 8k, justcars wants 5 rah rah rah and the story goes on.....
got an OK premium from GIO but still A heck a of alot. and so they were the cheapest.... but they wont let me do much with my car. so gotta be careful what i do lol

Teggy-Vtir
19-11-2003, 07:43 PM
yeah u gotta bcareful with insurance wen ur on comprehensive
gotta tell dem "every" lil mod u do to ur car.

Redteg
19-11-2003, 07:59 PM
Ye tell them everything or else they may not cover you in the event of a claim. They really are bastards.

Then agan, if you know how to do the work yourself, you can return your car 'back to stock' before the assessor comes out. I have heard of guys going to great lengths doing all nighters with mates to achieve this.

Note: 'Bastard' is an official insurance term :)

luzinit
20-11-2003, 12:10 PM
manuel's idea sounds great, aslong as we have few ppl who have half a clue what they are doing.. btw im still scared of the thought that a spring will fly out and smash my face.. hahah

Redteg
20-11-2003, 06:50 PM
luzinit: It's really a piece of pee, I can't think of anything that can go wrong if you take your time and are careful. I can't wait to get my loooooower shocks and loooooooower springs (or coilovers) so I can do it all over again!

The most important tool to have (and the most frustrating part of the job when you're on your own) is a quality hex key that keeps the shock rod from turning while you undo the top bolt to remove the spring. Also wd40 the bolts you have to remove before you start if you think they will be stubborn.

Front shocks are easier than the rear I found, I had to take off my rear swaybar and lower arms to get enough clearance for everything.

I may begin a write-up of it step-by-step that I can post and others can make suggestions. We can take pics when we lower someone's car or I lower mine more, whatever happens first.

ALSO; once you do go alot lower you end up with quite a bit of negative camber. You have to take into consideration camber kits (the rear is easy to fix), pronounced tyre wear, shortened lifespan of CV's, as well as a possible decrease in comfort and handling.

Low does look very good though.