PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox noise

clutch
20-08-2009, 09:12 AM
Hey all, im having an issue with my gearbox at the moment, its making a rather funny noise, like some sort of power tool, it sorta sounds normal and i thought that cos its a 93 model, but this morning it didnt do it in first gear twice and did it in the other gears like always. So now i know something it up, i cant realy explain the noise but its like a realy realy fast pased dadadadada

has anyone had or have the same issue? Dooes it sound like the oil needs changing in the gearbox? Any ideas are welcome

its a 93 civic eg vti

riruiz_88
20-08-2009, 11:03 AM
does it only happen when the car is cold, and does it go away when it gets to operating temperature?

when was the last time you changed the gearbox oil?

na-118
20-08-2009, 11:15 AM
does it crunch,? bearing?

clutch
20-08-2009, 04:51 PM
ummm, im not sure, but it went away twice in first gear after about 20 mins of driving, before that it always made the noise.

reverse crunches occasionaly, but nothing else.

not sure on oil i just bought the car, i am changing this weekend, i hope its not dry and im doing alot of damage :(

riruiz_88
20-08-2009, 05:46 PM
do you get a whining sound when moving in Reverse gear when the car is cold?

clutch
20-08-2009, 08:59 PM
Not sure will test it out, but duznt reverse make that whine noise as normal? Wat sort of whine are u talking about?

riruiz_88
21-08-2009, 07:43 AM
my bad didnt explain properly, when your in Reverse dose it buzz when you slowly reversing like something is trying to spin but is struggling?
any noises when you press the clutch in?

clutch
21-08-2009, 08:44 AM
umm no the reverse makes the typical loud whine, but no other noises, and there is no noise when I press the clutch in! im changing the fuilds tonight also, will keep you all posted.

blk_shadow
24-08-2009, 09:32 PM
changing the fluid is the first thing to do, and while you drop the fluid, check whether there are metal bits as well or not.

those bits can be from ur synchros and things.

intk20A
31-08-2009, 10:51 PM
Noisey input shaft bearing is your problem

clutch
01-09-2009, 11:48 AM
Gearbox is being switched over today! Hopefuly all goes smoothly!

g_kn
01-09-2009, 12:58 PM
Noisey input shaft bearing is your problem

Correct.. ive got the same problem as well, press the clutch and the noise is there and when released the whirling noise comes back.
Pray that the other box thats going in doesnt have the same problem as your previous box.

Its very annoying .. anyone know if changing fluids will quiet down the noise at least for now ?

clutch
01-09-2009, 01:04 PM
Correct.. ive got the same problem as well, press the clutch and the noise is there and when released the whirling noise comes back.
Pray that the other box thats going in doesnt have the same problem as your previous box.

Its very annoying .. anyone know if changing fluids will quiet down the noise at least for now ?

lol dont worry, ive got everything crossable crossed.

intk20A
01-09-2009, 03:57 PM
I had a mate with 89 crx had same problem, we changed the gear box oil using genuine fluid of course and the noise was much quieter. He has been driving around like this for a couple of years now, but maybe he was just lucky. try this anyway genuine fluid should only be about 15 per litre and you need 1.2 approx if you got a civic or integra.....

string
01-09-2009, 04:03 PM
They take ~2.4L so you'll need to buy 3 bottles.

g_kn
01-09-2009, 09:58 PM
I had a mate with 89 crx had same problem, we changed the gear box oil using genuine fluid of course and the noise was much quieter. He has been driving around like this for a couple of years now, but maybe he was just lucky. try this anyway genuine fluid should only be about 15 per litre and you need 1.2 approx if you got a civic or integra.....

Ill give this a try its due for a service soon anyway..
hope it quiets down a bit.

clutch
02-09-2009, 11:58 AM
Well the second hand gearbox is near perfect and runs well! Only thing is it makes a bit of a noise and knocks slightly everynow and then at high rpm going into third but awell!

Thanks rob at hondwreck in clayton for the good gearbox!

Kuroko
02-09-2009, 07:12 PM
No problems buddy ^_^
Post any thing else you need here I'll search for it when I'm at work and message you back.
Glad to hear the gearbox change over went well :)