PDA

View Full Version : Weight reduction

vtc
11-11-2004, 10:58 PM
Hey guys..

i know everyone talks about weight reduction to go faster down the 1/4 or whatver.. But just how much weight are we talking about? How many kg would eqaute to faster times?

I know some people who dont put down floor mats becasue they want to save weight :wave:

I just want to know roughly thats all and if anyone has tried doing the 1/4 in full trim and then one with various items missing ( back seats, spare tire etc).

I just weighed my sub box today 26kgs! dam.. thats got to go for sure...

joyride
12-11-2004, 06:59 AM
if you strip out over 50-100kgs thats got to be good with the power to weight ratio but i think it would shave off maybe 0.5 seconds off your 1/4 time.

EG5
12-11-2004, 07:57 AM
every 45-50kg u will be 0.2 faster down the quater mile
weight reduction help on your 60foot time.
drag racing is all about power to weight ratio , traction and driving skills.

SPEEDCORE
12-11-2004, 08:56 AM
If it is for drag racing by all means go nuts on the stripping.... if it is for circuit use..... be careful with where the weight is taken off. Overall balance and corner weights of the car can dramatically be affected.

vtc
12-11-2004, 10:25 AM
Thanks guys! Ive just done some extra research and found that the Americans say that for every 100lb ( approx 45 kg) you gain 0.1 off the qaurter mile. Also its about 8lb for every gallon of fuel.

Not much i guess if you dont strip very much. but maybe i can just strip the rear seats, spare tire and sub box for sum better drag times to gain 0.2. Maybe a 17 second car now! no longer 18! haha

Terry
12-11-2004, 10:29 AM
keep your oil tank at 25% full would help....... :D
I never carry full tank of petrol....

egSi
12-11-2004, 11:13 AM
keep your oil tank at 25% full would help....... :D
I never carry full tank of petrol....

me too.

also delet rear wiper and motor, window washer resonior and pump, air con,
rear seats, spare wheel, rear panels, sound deadening etc

roof lining if u r mental.

vtc
12-11-2004, 11:41 AM
Hey egSi.. why dont you sell me one of your books ultra cheap and i'll read what they say and i'll tell you.. haha... or you can just read it for yourself and keep it to yourself.. which would u prefer?

Oil tank at 25%? i think thats a bit too extreme.. i wouldnt mind taking out back seats.. just wonder if it makes it look ultra mean when sumone peeks in.

ekslut
12-11-2004, 12:09 PM
If people are wondering how much things weigh, I have been weighing everything that I have stripped out of my 1988 Civic ED6. Ill put them up so you get a idea:

Buddy Club Seat: 2.0 kg
Front Carpet: 4.0 kg
Rear Carpet: 1.0 kg
Rear Parcel Shelf: ???? kg
Rear Seats: 12.0 kg
Seat Belts: 6.0 kg
Side Plastics: 5.0 kg
Other Plastics: 3.0 kg
Spare Wheel: 12.0 kg
Jack: 2.5 kg
Roof Lining: 2.5 kg
Centre Console: 2.0 kg
Headunit: 2.0 kg
Sound Deadening: 4.0 kg
Rear Winsscreen Wiper: 1.0 kg
Misc Pieces: 3.5 kg
Air Con Unit: 7.5 kg
Power Steering Ass 3.5 kg

(If anyone can find out the weight of a ED parcel shelf it would be greatly appreciated. Sold mine off before I remembered to weigh it. Thanks :D

egSi
12-11-2004, 12:37 PM
Hey egSi.. why dont you sell me one of your books ultra cheap and i'll read what they say and i'll tell you.. haha... or you can just read it for yourself and keep it to yourself.. which would u prefer?

Oil tank at 25%? i think thats a bit too extreme.. i wouldnt mind taking out back seats.. just wonder if it makes it look ultra mean when sumone peeks in.

http://www.d-series.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2420&stc=1

http://www.d-series.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2421&stc=1

this is my eg, i got more to rip out tho......

vtc
12-11-2004, 12:44 PM
Yeah just like what ekSlut posted.. For a car to be stripped so much and only gain 0.1 down the qaurter isnt really worth it i guess.. Do you know how much weight you saved egSi? I might just do what you did with the rear seat. Did that take long or complicated?

egSi
12-11-2004, 01:34 PM
Yeah just like what ekSlut posted.. For a car to be stripped so much and only gain 0.1 down the qaurter isnt really worth it i guess.. Do you know how much weight you saved egSi? I might just do what you did with the rear seat. Did that take long or complicated?

not complicated but not a 10min job. not sure how much wieght i saved but allot coz i used to have sub to

vtc
12-11-2004, 01:48 PM
I know you got an eg.. but did you take off the bottom of the rear seat first.. or do you take out the back? I hope you drive around with your spare.. you never know when shit happens..

OLM-02R
12-11-2004, 04:32 PM
check this out super weight reduction...

http://www.supercars.net/servlets/PW/garagePics/ChevyRocks/55car6.jpg

vtc
12-11-2004, 04:59 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH thats the best thing ever! what car is that anyway? Please dont tell me its a civic, but it sure does look like an EK hatch.. 500kg? haha

integraz
12-11-2004, 05:03 PM
if u want more info on that setup ...up above
its a sentra by the way
it started from a rice car to striped car

http://tsx.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16525

Cyrus
19-11-2004, 03:53 PM
strip out all the sound insulation,...it will safe a bit of weight.....if your car don't have force induction down a strip.......all u can do is strip out everything that you possibly don't need.......taking out the aircon would also help a lot..