PDA

View Full Version : DC2R springs into a DC2?

dinorider
23-08-2009, 02:28 AM
I'm checking for opinions here.

I just replaced the worn shocks on my DC2 (VTi-R) with KYB Excel-G shocks.

Now I was thinking of lowering the car about 1 inch. Is it possible to fit stock DC2R springs onto the KYBs currentlt in my car and get the 1 inch drop? Does anyone know if the spring perches on the DC2 and DC2R shocks are the same distance apart? Will the DC2R spring rate kill my shocks?

I thought about this because the DC2R sits about an inch lower than the DC2 in stock form, and I'm looking for that same distance to drop..

The American KYB internet sit has stated that the Excel-G shocks have been designed to accommodate slight lowering of less than 2 inches, and will hold up to being used in a car with a slightly lowered stance.

The drop of the King springs is too much for my taste, especially since I have to drive up some really crazy driveway ramp angles. The other firm that makes 1 inch lowering springs for the DC2 is japanese firm RS*R, and I haven't found anyone selling them in Oz.

So will the DC2R springs work for my application?

SiReal
23-08-2009, 10:35 AM
DC2R springs dont really lower that much (1cm at the most), it basically just evens up the front with the rears, whereas on the normal integras, the front is usually higher.

its also stiffer as well. I read on OH somewhere but cannot verify validity that the rates were 4kg front and 2.5kg rear, so imo, shoulnd't be a problem with your KYBs. these are chaep springs for the great characteristics, so i just give em a try regardless. king springs hve great post sales service, but having sat in a king spring'ed car (even on koni reds), they are too soft, sloppy and basically crap for handling. stick with the dc2r springs.

and yes, i'm very certain the mounting perches are same distanced.

the car :

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x229/JeffSiReal/DC2R/mini-IMG_2028e.jpg

dinorider
23-08-2009, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the information, and thanks for confirming for me that King springs are soft and quite useless for what I'm looking for.

I do really like the DC2R ride height. I believe that it's the perfect middle ground between slammed-to-the-floor and higher-than-a-Hilux

This is the stock 4X4 look of my current DC2:
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b191/dinorider02/other%20junk/dc2profile.jpg

It's the factory ride height and I've verified it on the Team-Integra forums. Centre of front wheel to top of wheel arch is 37cm. Centre of rear wheel to top of wheel arch is 35cm. The wheel gap, especially in front, is massive.

The whole DC2 stock ride height (even at the rear) does appear about an inch higher than the DC2R don't you think?

So if the DC2R damper spring perch distance is the same as the DC2's, I'm off to do some shopping for DC2R springs!

akusuma
23-08-2009, 04:53 PM
It won't be an inch, I would say about half an inch or 1cm (at least on EG compared to stock EG springs).
Like said, it is superior than kings in terms of handling improvement.

Front is around 4.4kg linear and rear about 2 - 4.4 progressive.

SiReal
23-08-2009, 09:30 PM
here is a pic of the stock rear

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x229/JeffSiReal/DC2R/mini-IMG_1963.jpg

i dont really have any definitive pics of the stock front cos i never took any photos of it haha but here is the best i have. it does appear to be lower but definitely not 1"

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x229/JeffSiReal/DC2R/mini-IMG_1064.jpg

OMG.JAI xD
23-08-2009, 10:47 PM
I say go for it.

Nice, cheap and effective mod.

dinorider
24-08-2009, 01:26 AM
i dont really have any definitive pics of the stock front cos i never took any photos of it haha but here is the best i have. it does appear to be lower but definitely not 1"

Thanks for the photos. That's the exact wheel gap I'm going for. This just confirms that DC2R springs are exactly what I need.

Sydsyd
29-08-2009, 08:56 AM
DC2R springs will definitely lower ur car by a bit, only 1/2 inch the most...if u want lowered stance, try Tanabe springs...i used the DF variant combined with stock DC2R shocks, they're great...the car's lower by about 2 inches (about 1 finger gap between tyre and wheel arc, depending how fat ur finger is lol) and still clears a lot of speed bumps and quite steep driveways...stiffer than stock but not coilover stiff...

here's a pic for reference:

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m64/SydEG5/My%20Own%20Car/mini-IMG_1192edited.jpg

dinorider
31-08-2009, 12:47 AM
DC2R springs will definitely lower ur car by a bit, only 1/2 inch the most...if u want lowered stance, try Tanabe springs...i used the DF variant combined with stock DC2R shocks, they're great...the car's lower by about 2 inches (about 1 finger gap between tyre and wheel arc, depending how fat ur finger is lol) and still clears a lot of speed bumps and quite steep driveways...stiffer than stock but not coilover stiff...

Thanks for the recommendation, but think I'm perfectly happy with just a 1/2 to 1 inch drop. It's that fine line between lowrider and SUV.

Essentially just low enough to remove the dreaded SUV stance, but still high enough to drive over crap roads, mad speed bumps and a fully loaded car without worrying and stressing about ripping the oil pan and headers.

dinorider
09-11-2009, 01:43 PM
All right boys and girls, I did just what I said I wanted to do to my DC2.

Replace stock DC2 springs with DC2R springs. It worked.

I checked the stock DC2 front wheel arch height measured from centre of wheel to top of wheel arch: 14.5inches

Stock rear wheel height measured the same way: 13.5 inches

With DC2R springs in front, the measurement became: 13.2 inchs
With DC2R springs in rear, the measurement stayed at 13.5 inches

For those needing actual spring rate figures, the DC2 stock front spring is 3.6kgf/mm.

The DC2 rear stock spring is 2.0kgf/mm

DC2R front spring rate is 4.5kgf/mm

DC2R rear spring rate is progressive 2.5-4.4kgf/mm.

All spring rate figures taken from the Integra Hyper Rev book so you can be sure that they're accurate.

All the knackered OEM DC2 shocks were replaced with KYB Excel-G shocks, which are, to quote KYB, "10-15% stiffer than OEM shocks to compensate for worn suspensions".

Well, they work great with DC2R springs too. Ride is smooth, controlled and very well damped. It isn't lumpy, crashy nor have they bottomed out.

Considering the price of OE DC2R springs on the used market versus a new set from any big manufacturer, I'd say this is a great bang for buck minor lowering mod.

Before and after pics to come.

dinorider
09-11-2009, 09:05 PM
There we go. Same car, one pic on DC2 springs, one on DC2R springs. The difference is quite obvious.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b191/dinorider02/b4after.jpg

KofS2s
09-11-2009, 10:39 PM
what parts do you need to put DC2R springs on a DC2?

dinorider
10-11-2009, 09:13 AM
what parts do you need to put DC2R springs on a DC2?

That's the good part. You literally need nothing else. It's a straight swap.

But if you're still on original DC2 shocks they are most definitely knackered from age. Replace them if you can afford it.

Stock DC2R shocks, if of low mileage and still in good shape, will fit but you will need EG/DC2R rear lower suspension arms. And DC2R shocks are very, very stiff. So besides extra cost for the rear suspension arms, you'll also end up with a ride quite unsuited for typical NSW/Vic roads.

So for a smoother day to day ride I recommend just getting other replacement shocks.

The funny thing is, my car is now finally level, and it's a difference you can feel from the driver's seat. In stock form the DC2 has greater ground clearance in front than behind, and there's always a feeling of looking up at the sky from the driver seat. Now that it's level, the driving position feels much better.

KofS2s
16-11-2009, 03:52 PM
ok so i will need rear LCA's.
the stock dc2 springs are too soft..too much body roll.

SiReal
16-11-2009, 07:06 PM
wow thats great dinorider. good to see u post the final product

whats needed? just a set of dc2r springs, some money for a workshop OR a mate, tools and half a day. Some h20 plus kfc would also help immensly.

Rear LCA's are required ONLY if using dc2r shocks. if using dc2 shocks, then your stock lca will be fine.

chunky
26-11-2009, 06:31 PM
DC2R springs dont really lower that much (1cm at the most), it basically just evens up the front with the rears, whereas on the normal integras, the front is usually higher.

its also stiffer as well. I read on OH somewhere but cannot verify validity that the rates were 4kg front and 2.5kg rear, so imo, shoulnd't be a problem with your KYBs. these are chaep springs for the great characteristics, so i just give em a try regardless. king springs hve great post sales service, but having sat in a king spring'ed car (even on koni reds), they are too soft, sloppy and basically crap for handling. stick with the dc2r springs.

and yes, i'm very certain the mounting perches are same distanced.

the car :

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x229/JeffSiReal/DC2R/mini-IMG_2028e.jpg

anymore pics of that car??

tripleuse
03-06-2010, 07:55 PM
About to do the same thing
but was it hard or fiddly to install the springs or did you get someone to do it for u... if so how much?

vinnY
04-06-2010, 05:15 PM
just need a spring compressor and some basic sockets

vtecing
05-06-2010, 07:29 PM
the dc2r is 15mm lower than a standard vtir. straight from best motoring.

vinnY
05-06-2010, 08:36 PM
^ assuming all things equal
remember things age
springs may sag
bushes will wear
different tyre sizes will even change height