PDA

View Full Version : new to bikes, things i shud know (QLD)

Mullensxxx
23-08-2009, 01:19 PM
as the titles states im new to bikes and just had a few things 2 ask

im looking to buy a early 2 mid 1990 cbr250rr, just woundering;

- what are some common problems with this model of bike?

- when inspecting what are things that i shud make are in good working order?

- what matinance is required for these bikes and how often? (a rough idea on price would be awesome too!!)

- any little mods that make a world of differnce?

- also how much is rego in QLD?

- ne peticular company of insurence people have had good experience with

- ne places with well priced protective gear? (in QLD)

- is there anything ive overlooked or forgotten?

thanks guys for helping out!!!

cheers

Mullens

lookingforboost
23-08-2009, 04:33 PM
as the titles states im new to bikes and just had a few things 2 ask

im looking to buy a early 2 mid 1990 cbr250rr, just woundering;

- what are some common problems with this model of bike?

- when inspecting what are things that i shud make are in good working order?

- what matinance is required for these bikes and how often? (a rough idea on price would be awesome too!!)

- any little mods that make a world of differnce?

- also how much is rego in QLD?

- ne peticular company of insurence people have had good experience with

- ne places with well priced protective gear? (in QLD)

- is there anything ive overlooked or forgotten?

thanks guys for helping out!!!

cheers

Mullens

Great bike, but dont over look the CBR250R no difference basically between them bar brakes and RR rev's slightly more 250R are usually a bit cheaper to.

look for oil leaks, over all condition if its ratty and apparently has 10,000kms on it bets are its been wound back.
dont be afraid of a bike with higher kms than others most cases if its higher then at least it probally the true kms on it.
look at tyres as these are pretty expensive to replace and chain and sprokets for wear or bending. start it and let it idle make sure it dosent stall cough and carry on.

oil and filter every 5000kms clean and oil chain every 2-3 weeks check tyre pressure before any big ride and at least once a week.
i would change the air filter spark plugs and oil and filter as soon as you buy one as least you know its been done and right to ride.

little mods well not much you can squeeze out of them really, but good low weight oil makes a difference, 98 octane fuel, air filter K&N or uni filter and an aftermarket pipe thats about it really.

no idea on rego prolly cheap caz its pretty cheap here and QLD seems to be cheaper.

anything you have over looked, dont rush out and buy the first one you see and take it easy on it just because its a 250 dosent mean you can handle it and it wont / cant kill you....
we cant all be casey stoner or rossi :P

gumbs
23-08-2009, 06:53 PM
Rego: 400 dual seat 220 single seat. If a bike if dual seat you need to have it inspected before you can change it to single seat which costs about $200.

Gear: Hi side leather, they're on the corner of evans and toohey rd in salisbury. Really cheap for helmets, he doesn't stock draggins or any equivalents though.

Bike: Why a CBR250? We have LAMS now so your options are alot wider. Why do you want a CBR? Looks? handling? Power? I just recently bought 98 yamaha zeal with 25k on the clock for 2.5k with a road worthy and 6 months rego. In a straight line its pretty close to a CBR, looks is subjective, but it does lose in the handling department.

Mullensxxx
23-08-2009, 09:45 PM
Rego: 400 dual seat 220 single seat. If a bike if dual seat you need to have it inspected before you can change it to single seat which costs about $200.

Gear: Hi side leather, they're on the corner of evans and toohey rd in salisbury. Really cheap for helmets, he doesn't stock draggins or any equivalents though.

Bike: Why a CBR250? We have LAMS now so your options are alot wider. Why do you want a CBR? Looks? handling? Power? I just recently bought 98 yamaha zeal with 25k on the clock for 2.5k with a road worthy and 6 months rego. In a straight line its pretty close to a CBR, looks is subjective, but it does lose in the handling department.

wat did u mean by draggins?

just friend of mine had a cbr250rr and just like how the bike felt, i use 2 ride it abit, feels right, seem 2 be a fair few of them around, from what ive heard they r pretty hardy and yeh i think they look pretty cool for the year, also in my budget

and few ppl have reccomended them as a good 1st bike, i like the sporty kinda look

Twincam16
23-08-2009, 10:54 PM
wat did u mean by draggins?

just friend of mine had a cbr250rr and just like how the bike felt, i use 2 ride it abit, feels right, seem 2 be a fair few of them around, from what ive heard they r pretty hardy and yeh i think they look pretty cool for the year, also in my budget

and few ppl have reccomended them as a good 1st bike, i like the sporty kinda look

Draggins = Draggin Jeans (Kevlar Padded)

Good first bike... How long you plan on keeping it though? Whats the law there in QLD?

gumbs
24-08-2009, 09:11 AM
Minimum time on a LAMS bike is 1 year, our lams list is almost the same as yours except some of the limited bigger bikes aren't on it (apparently, I never actually checked)

Draggins are the pants most noobies start out with, they're just jeans that take longer to wear through when your sliding down the road on your arse, but they do nothing to stop you destroying your knees when the bike spits you into the road. I'm not a big fan of them, but if your just riding to work/ around town they're ok.

The gear most of us would be recommending you start out with is a decent helmet, jacket, gloves, pants and boots. Realistically this will cost you a grand or more. If you want to be really cheap you can pick up ok gloves, boots and pants from aldi for around $250 or so. They have helmets and jackets as well but the jackets are way to hot for up here and overpriced, and you won't find any stores with helmets left.

CBRs are a decent bike, but you should really do some reading up on them. They are old bikes, a mid 90s model isn't going to be common. Alot of places list the complaince date as the manufacture date, so even though they say 98 they were first sold in Japan in 89. They are common and there are alot of them in wreckers so you can get second hand parts fairly easily. It should hold it value very well provided you don't bang it up. I found them really uncomfortable to ride and I couldn't get my knees in against the tank properly. Look at the GS500 and ER5 completely different bikes but a much nicer and easier ride. In the same style as the CBR there is the FZR250 and ZXR250/ZX2R as well as the RVF400 which is a class above the CBR but priced accordingly. Finally there are the other 250s GPX/ZZR reliable bullet proof and fairly cheap abit on the slow side but deffinately liveable.

Perry
24-08-2009, 01:03 PM
Test ride a ZXR250 there pretty good for what it is for a 250cc I ride a cbr250rr and ZX2 and prefer a ZX2R250 due to its handling and riding position.