PDA

View Full Version : Budget Upgrades For CD5

jford04
23-08-2009, 08:55 PM
Well I've decided to do some work to my CD5 (1993 VTi) as I drive it no more than twice a week.

I'm not an expert when it comes to which parts do what but so far this is what I've got in mind:

* Lowering - To increase handling, not to look 'woggy'
* Cold Air Intake - Increases low RPM Power?
* Microchip - Also to help with acceleration?
* Exhaust - just to give it a nice purr
* Front Lip & Rear Spoiler - Just for appearance (obviously)

Advice and Pricing on the above or anything else would be appreciated. I don't wish to spend more than $400 per mod (at this stage anyway).

I've also heard that you can tune V-tec to kick in at a lower RPM. is this true? If so advisable?

Thanks guys!

Mixtapes
24-08-2009, 02:22 PM
* Lowering - Koni Shocks + King Springs or Pedders or some 2nd hand coilovers i got a set of G4's for real cheap

* Cold Air Intake - Increases low RPM Power? i got a panel filter on it atm. havn't looked into cai. but i;v heard AEM with k&n pod or 3A racing ! my mate has 1 on his cd5 cost him $250 + filter.

* Exhaust - just to give it a nice purr, depends what exhaust mugen is always good. but abit pricey for what it is.

* Front Lip & Rear Spoiler - Just for appearance (obviously) Mugen Style front lip is $135 delivered from the US you can get other styles i got mine recently. Rear Spoiler was $140 when i checked it looked pretty good.

hope that helps ?

bennjamin
24-08-2009, 06:12 PM
please get a upgraded rear swaybar. Great modification.

tmy
24-08-2009, 09:30 PM
In regards to a vtec controller:

What is a Vtec Controller (http://www.hondahookup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6204)

Personally there not worth the money for a stock standard CD5.

jford04
25-08-2009, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the help, may I ask further information as to where to buy these parts from? This is the first car I'm getting work done to.
Cheers

Feverpitched
26-08-2009, 04:31 PM
Well I've decided to do some work to my CD5 (1993 VTi) as I drive it no more than twice a week.

I'm not an expert when it comes to which parts do what but so far this is what I've got in mind:

* Lowering - To increase handling, not to look 'woggy' Some lowered springs will be under $400. Install yourself or get a mate to. You can get a master bushing kit from the US for about $190 - this will tighten the car up considerably.
* Cold Air Intake - Increases low RPM Power? Cheap one can be had for less than $100. Takes about an hour to install if you remove the resonator as well.
* Microchip - Also to help with acceleration? Don't bother. You won't find anything worth the money for $400.
* Exhaust - just to give it a nice purr Try the intake pipe and the sound it makes first, then consider this.
* Front Lip & Rear Spoiler - Just for appearance (obviously) Colour code the oem lips and skirts and side moulds. Might be under $400 if you take the bits off for them to paint.

Advice and Pricing on the above or anything else would be appreciated. I don't wish to spend more than $400 per mod (at this stage anyway).

I've also heard that you can tune V-tec to kick in at a lower RPM. is this true? If so advisable? I wouldn't. Honda have put the VTEC engagement point there after millions of research. You're not going to do better by second guessing them at this stage.

Thanks guys!

Best bang for buck will always be H22A swap.

FAT VTI
02-09-2009, 09:54 AM

* Lowering - To increase handling, not to look 'woggy'
to increase handling- lower the car on a good shock/spring combo or a set of coilovers. this will cost you a fair amount. alternatively, you could just lower it 1.5inch on kings or k-mac without changing stock shocks....personally i think it's pointless coz 1.5inch is nothing but if ur on a budget it can be done with little hassles - except prematurely wearing your shocks. I suggest u get tein basic coilovers (about $1000-$1200AU shipped) plus a front srut brace and possibly a rear sway bar if you can afford it. Strengthening the chassis on cd5's is (as above) one of the best modifications on a lowered cd5. front strut helps significantly and are pretty cheap. So for 400 bucks, you'd be lucky to be able to lower your car to increase handling.

* Cold Air Intake - Increases low RPM Power?
Increase low rpm power....Doubt it. However, it may a little (debateable) more responsive. I suggest you get the CAI off ebay (its all mandrel bent anyways, no point paying AEM $300 for the same bent peice of steel). Once u take delivery of the CAI off ebay, take off the filter and burn it. Go to a decent auto shop, get a 3a racing filter, or if u can afford it a K&N pod filter. Attach to your CAI and fit it into your car. quite a good looking mod. this setup- cai piping off ebay + 3A racing- $140-$180 roundabout, CAI puping off ebay +K&N filter- $250
* Microchip - Also to help with acceleration?
Pointless mod, dont bother. $0
* Exhaust - just to give it a nice purr
Go see a good exhaust shop. if all you want is a nice purr, this can be had with a very simple catback system with a decent rear muffler. 2.25in piping should be used, 2.5 is too much on a stock f22b1, and will drone and sound terrible. Would set you back close to $400, depending on the muffler, the piping and labour wont be too much, its a simple exhaust system.
* Front Lip & Rear Spoiler - Just for appearance (obviously)
Personally i wouldn't bother if its low enough, but if its still high, get some front and rear spoilers.... Both - $300-$400 before paint.

I've also heard that you can tune V-tec to kick in at a lower RPM. is this true? If so advisable?

It is true, but by mucking with your v-tec on a stock f22b1 you will surely **** it up before it does a benefit. in short- Honda designed vtec to kick in at the right level...so leave it alone ...especially if your f22b1 is not worked.

Hope this helps.
(prices are what i have experienced in getting quotes in the last year or 2, may have changed coz i havent gotten any in a few months )
Thanks guys![/QUOTE]

Jarkz
03-09-2009, 02:41 PM
please get a upgraded rear swaybar. Great modification.

Could u please reccomend a width, & a manufacture.

hectic_filo
03-09-2009, 11:38 PM
check out ebay 1st.. just put honda accord and all mod stuff will pop out.. specially ebay motors.. and most of the stuff are from america..

dont ebay the coilovers though.. but lips skirts, short ram or cold air intakes.. front grill, halo or sir headlights,

how bout ur sound system? arent u upgrading that aswell?

how bout the rims too.. post up some pics and us fellow accord drives will give u feedbacks and suggestions about ur mods.. we had a few already and.. we will keep it goin to pimp ur ride..

kccord
10-09-2009, 01:11 PM
You're missing out on HEADERS. All that listed above will only gain ~8hp

JohnL
10-09-2009, 06:09 PM
The stock Accord wheels are only 5.5" wide, which with the stock width tyres (195) is OK for a comfy ride but hopeless for steering / handling response. One inch may not seem much, but even a 1" rim width increase makes a substantial improvement to how a 195 tyre behaves.

I would highly recommend the Prelude 6.5" rims on the stock 195 tyre width. I recently bought 4 good Prelude wheels for $115 on Ebay, and swapped the tyres from the stock wheels to the Prelude wheels. The difference in how the same tyres behave on the wider rim is substantial. A wider tyre such as 205 + is much too wide for the stock wheels (IMO 205 tyres really needs at least a 7" rim width), so don't even consider wider tyres unless you substantially increase rim width at the same time.

205 tyres on the stock Accord wheel are utterly hopeless, but the choice of 'performance' rubber in the stock 195/60/15 size is not all that great, but note that Bridgestone Tyre Centres have the RE001 in 195/60/15 on sale at the moment for $140. I haven't yet tried this tyre, but from what I've heard it sounds like a bargain at that price...

Mixtapes
11-09-2009, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the help, may I ask further information as to where to buy these parts from? This is the first car I'm getting work done to.
Cheers

Ebay for the cai 100au shipped .... and www.jdmshit.com for the lips !