PDA

View Full Version : Advice on 2nd hand s2k

EuroSip
12-11-2004, 12:09 PM
Ok, I'm planning to buy a second hand car, preferably an s2k...need some help...Are there anything in particular to look for in an s2k when buying used...

And also does anyone know whether the price depreciate heaps if you end up selling it after a year...cause i'm probably going to buy it for around 45k and wondering if i could sell it at around 42k after about a year...

i've found some cars which have low milege and aren't that old...wat could be wrong with these cars?

Thanks heaps for your help!!

ps. about insurance...i'm 18...how much would insurance be?

vtc
12-11-2004, 06:52 PM
Your insurance cost (if anyone will actually insure you) will be just as much as the depreciation costs.. You will look alot of money buying a car for one year and then selling it. Why dont you you just buy a run about and save for whatever car you had in mind.

speedracr
12-11-2004, 08:34 PM
I'd guess your insurance would be around $9k if u tried to go with NRMA

CONAN
12-11-2004, 10:03 PM
Hey Eurosip, have a look at my thread that I posted not so long ago. May help you with a few things u need to know.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?p=113929#post113929

And I'm guessing it will depreciate more than you expect. Redbook is always a good guide.
ANyways hope my thread helps ya out.
happy searching..

EuroSip
12-11-2004, 11:27 PM
Your insurance cost (if anyone will actually insure you) will be just as much as the depreciation costs.. You will look alot of money buying a car for one year and then selling it. Why dont you you just buy a run about and save for whatever car you had in mind.

I don't have many cars in mind...it's just that i will probably want to and will change cars after a yr of the s2k...not because i'm trying to save up...My delima is...should i buy a worn out s2k instead if i'm gonna sell it after a yr of thrashing anyway? or should i settle for something a little more better condition...

Furthermore...i'm thinking about whether to get a zed instead...i prefer hardtops more...but having a chance to drive a convertible sounds interesting too...

I understand that insurance is gonna be expensive, although i would assume it will be under my parents names and i would just be an unlisted driver ^^

micka
12-11-2004, 11:41 PM
insurance under your parents name for your car is just asking for trouble.

e_s2k
13-11-2004, 12:07 AM
Insurance ain't that bad, if you have a clean record. A s2k isn't affordable for most, so drivers that can afford are usually olders driver and if a car doesn't get involved in accident it's generally cheaper. Try RACV or Just Cars, they gave pretty good quotes 2090 and 3500.

speedracr
13-11-2004, 01:29 AM
Insurance ain't that bad, if you have a clean record. A s2k isn't affordable for most, so drivers that can afford are usually olders driver and if a car doesn't get involved in accident it's generally cheaper. Try RACV or Just Cars, they gave pretty good quotes 2090 and 3500.

For an 18 year old? Dayam! Not bad...

e_s2k
13-11-2004, 01:36 AM
Sorry my bad, i didn't see that bit, but quote was for 21 year old Rating 5 or 4..
I thought insurance would be crazy too, until i called up.
Hope that give u a guage on how much you might be looking at.
But as Micka already said, it's trouble .....having under parent's name and you unlisted.

But i have heard of ppl getting away with it, saying their parents were driving it, but then again i have heard some ppl get shafted with no pay out.
So be careful, if you can afford a car like that, you should be able to afford the insurance.

vtc
13-11-2004, 01:48 AM
Yes this is fine and dandy if your run into a pole.. IF you run into a car... the other person is gonna take YOUR records and well then kiss goodbyeto your car as well as forking out your own money to fix the other.. It really aint worth doing it if you cant afford insurance

If you want to play.. you have to pay.
Just what i think.

yfin
13-11-2004, 08:49 AM
And also does anyone know whether the price depreciate heaps if you end up selling it after a year...cause i'm probably going to buy it for around 45k and wondering if i could sell it at around 42k after about a year...

Buying a car for 45k and then trying to sell it a year later for 42k is at best a gamble. You may easily find yourself in the 30-40k range a year later. It is probably not a great idea to buy a car intending to only keep it for 1 year - unless you don't mind the ultimate cost of just having the car for 1 year being something extraordinary (eg $5000+). Then factor in running costs and insurance and it is an expensive year - if you know what I mean. If you need finance add that to the bill..

Depends how much cash you have to throw around.

EuroSip
13-11-2004, 09:38 AM
Thanks for the advice guys... ^^

About being unlisted...insurance said something about being able to drive it once a month...is that a fact or just pure bs?

I can understand taht if i could afford it, i should also buy the insurance...but just trying to find holes in the system to reduce costs that's all...I still need to make sure i'm covered...like apparently, if i'm unlisted and crash...i need to pay 2500 excess...compared to 800 excess

You gotta admit though...the insurance costs for young drivers are waay too much in aust

eknine
13-11-2004, 10:51 AM
Furthermore...i'm thinking about whether to get a zed instead...i prefer hardtops more...but having a chance to drive a convertible sounds interesting too...

s2k are available in hardtop as well ;)

I understand that insurance is gonna be expensive, although i would assume it will be under my parents names and i would just be an unlisted driver ^^

as with insurance, you are just not looking hard enuff :rolleyes:

.::F[L]Y::.
14-11-2004, 07:05 PM
the proces of selling a car can be difficult and time consuming. Unless the price ur asking is heaps low. Esp with s2k's it is kinda a niche market out there so im assuming it would be difficult to sell.

bungsai
15-11-2004, 07:50 AM
I can understand taht if i could afford it, i should also buy the insurance...but just trying to find holes in the system to reduce costs that's all.

from my experiences u cant dick with insurance or ull get done up the ass...insurance companies have enough fine print in their policies to render most of us void of insurance. Trying to find loopholes in a system that has been around for years, and refined since the beginning is going to be fruitless, it's only gunna come around and bite u on the ass.

My advice, check out just cars and pay the insurance, you can never predict the future. Think of insurance as protecting ure investment. 9k over 45k...which one do u wanna choose to lose?

EuroSip
15-11-2004, 07:18 PM
I heard that justcars normally has quite good rates? but how much would it be for a 19 yr old...the s2k that is...

or the 350z...although i heard the insurance for that is through the roof

speedracr
15-11-2004, 09:11 PM
I heard that justcars normally has quite good rates? but how much would it be for a 19 yr old...the s2k that is...

or the 350z...although i heard the insurance for that is through the roof

you'll need to call them up yourself. Depends on driving history, insurance history, where you store the car, how you store it (street, garage, etc)... too many variables

CONAN
15-11-2004, 09:20 PM
for a 19year old, I wouldn't bother. Most companies would not cover you even if your policy is under your parents and your a listed driver. They wont recognise it!

I'm 21, will almost be 22 before I move onto a new car, hopefully an S as well. And getting quoted around 7-8k for a '99 model. But my situation would be different as I don't have a clean driving record.

Something funny, 2000 model s2000 insured for $40k = $4600p.a premium
2002 model s2000 insured for $40k aswell = $4200p.a premium
???? why is it cheaper, these quotes were all under a 50yr driver with a clean record.

EuroSip
15-11-2004, 09:44 PM
Guess it'll be under my mummy's name then, who has a clean driving record for the past 20+years... ^^

But yeah...apparently to insure a dc2 type r is more expensive than the dc5 as well...probably because of the safety and change in condition of the car and stuff...insurance companies have maths wizs who do those crap...

As i said, GIO said as long as the car isn't turbo...i can be unlisted and uninsured...but i would have to pay 3000 excess in the event of a crash...like 800 normal...then the extra 1000 for the under 25 and then another 1200 for the under 21... I guess i've gotta be careful with any car i drive though...

But yeah...cool that you've decided on the S mate...I'm now deciding between the zed or the s2k...gf likes the zed...cause surprising she likes hardtops...so yeah...i know s2k has hardtop too..but it just doesn't look right...

CONAN
15-11-2004, 11:38 PM
Personally, i prefer the S over the 350. Convertible, 2L, Honda!!
Id say its more classy. Build quality, i prefer the S2K, I dont like the gearbox in the Z, steering feels sluggish, and the clutch feels crap.
I test drove a 1999 model S2k with 50,000kms on it, and it drove better than the Z with 3000kms.

just my 2c ;)

Speeder
03-01-2005, 12:52 AM
Personally, i prefer the S over the 350. Convertible, 2L, Honda!!
Id say its more classy. Build quality, i prefer the S2K, I dont like the gearbox in the Z, steering feels sluggish, and the clutch feels crap.
I test drove a 1999 model S2k with 50,000kms on it, and it drove better than the Z with 3000kms.

just my 2c ;)
well the S2k with 50,000km should run better then a brand new spanking 350 with only 3000km on the clock.

Speeder
03-01-2005, 12:57 AM
on the topic, i like the 2L s2k motor, but there is noting wrong with the torque curve on the 350......although i never driven the 350 but been in one. either way, either cars are good cars. RX8 is just another opinion?? by the way call up ALL the insurers and brokers and see from there. gl

.::F[L]Y::.
03-01-2005, 10:54 AM
u guys reckon prices for s2000 drop during the winter months??