PDA

View Full Version : ZC.. Prices and Technical Opinions

Kawasaki
12-11-2004, 06:49 PM
Hey ppl, i hope this aint a repeat of anything ( i did search )

I wanted to know what kinda price zc's are going for as i am thinking of dropping one in and does anyone recommend a particular business (in sydney of course) and/or if there is a better option. I looking to boost the power of my gl civic (NA only so no turbos thx)

cheers

wynode
13-11-2004, 11:42 AM
Check the sticky in the Wanted to Buy forum for Honda wreckers where you can pickup a ZC aka D16A8 from the EG Civic Si

There is a lot of good info on http://d-series.org/ in regards to the ZC/D16A8

If you have any other Qs relating to it, myself or bennjamin can help you out :)

Gluck!

panda[cRx]
14-11-2004, 01:28 PM
if u want NA power dont go zc, not much aftermarket suppor for it compared to b16a
thats why most crx drivers look at swaps or turbo convs...
anyway just my opinion from driving the d16a8 myself
sure there are other factors i know but yeah. shouldnt be hard to track down a ZC, if i wouldnt geel guilty about it later i'd sell ya mine with 255,000kms on it :D hahaha
gd luck anyway

sivic
15-11-2004, 12:27 AM
yeah, if your looking to go some solid NA power a b series would be your best bet. though ZC's are a good engine they really do lack aftermarket support which pretty much kills options for some hard NA action, unless you can be stuffed tracking down parts in the US. us ZC owners are about 6 years too late to go looking for aftermarket parts. you pretty much have to luck into anything.

Weq
15-11-2004, 11:51 AM
zc has a solid market in the us... i think u will find not many bl16 products are made in australia dude.

zc was used for many years in the CRX so there are products.

sivic
16-11-2004, 12:57 AM
yeah. they're nuts about them in the US so they have plenty of parts but like i said you have to be bothered trying to get them. depending on how far you intend to modify it you can still do fine with it here. I/H/E can all be custom (like most engines) and even with cams if you cant find a set you can get a mild regrind done

Kawasaki
16-11-2004, 07:49 AM
Well i dont want to go b-series on such a crappy car. I just want a lil more beef and im not looking to spend upwards of 4 to 5000 and besides the d-series bolts right in. With exhaust, intake and a couple of other mods id be pushing 150hp easy and it would be way cheaper than a b16a. Why is everyone so trigger happy about B series?

2ds
16-11-2004, 08:26 AM
Well i dont want to go b-series on such a crappy car. I just want a lil more beef and im not looking to spend upwards of 4 to 5000 and besides the d-series bolts right in. With exhaust, intake and a couple of other mods id be pushing 150hp easy and it would be way cheaper than a b16a. Why is everyone so trigger happy about B series?

because it's so much fun to drive i'd imagine =) and arguably one of the best engines to ever come out of honda.

the b16a was in production for about 10 years. since, '89 i believe.

-2ds

panda[cRx]
16-11-2004, 04:11 PM
it would take a lil to get 150hp outta an NA d1a8 man.... u'd be better off paying for b16a swap than d series swap + mods.
you'll save money in the long run if u plan to continue modding, b series is so versatile.
why are we trigger happy about b series?
coz i'm guessing we've driven both and notice the difference... VTEC y0! :D

if u get depsperate u can have my d16a8 (i noticed u said u were after one in another thread) it has a heap of kms but yeah if u really need one its there.
it wil be avail in december sometime ;)

sivic
16-11-2004, 10:01 PM
hehe your not going to get 150hp easy out of a ZC. they are 130hp at the fly stock. maybe 150hp at the fly with some REALLY good bolt ons, though not likely. dont get me wrong, i like my ZC but you have to be realistic about the fact that they are not the best choice if your looking to go for solid NA when the B series is an option.

the reason why everyone favours the b series is because they are v.good engines with big potential and huge aftermarket support making modifying them easy (though not easy on the $$).

perhaps if you dont want to go down the b series path maybe go a SOHC VTEC d series. bolt ons are readily available for these and there is also a fair bit of support for more serious tuning.

panda[cRx]
17-11-2004, 04:29 AM
the only way to go with d16a is boost... otherwise i would keep mine and save the money from a b18c swap

Kawasaki
17-11-2004, 11:30 AM
well i didnt want to spend the kinda cash you would on a b series swap im kinda saving to buy my dads tegR. I doubt ill bother now the reason i was going for an upgarde was to stay competitive with my work mates :P but the problem now is that they have 85 lude si, 97 lude vtir, vk v8 and now ones going for a skyline. So ill just keep svaing :).

sivic
18-11-2004, 06:03 PM
haha. yeah dude, just save for your dads car :thumbsup: . no damn point in constantly trying to stay competitive. there is always someone that is going to be faster. you could always just focus on handling mods - relatively cheap and very fun. that way you could prob corner better than all your mates cars. always funny to have someone inflating their ego by tailing you on the straight and then be unable to keep up with you on the corners. thay start getting a bit insecure about their driving skills ;)
had a couple of my work mates almost crash their cars trying to keep up with me through the corners on the way out of work
just think, when you get your dads type r you'll be laughing :D

Kawasaki
20-11-2004, 08:03 AM
Yeah man that what ive been going for, handling. I got some nice 15" wheels with yoko's on em and the thing sticks to the road. I dragged the V8 when my clutch was about to go and even then with my dodge clutch i could hold him off for about 20-30 metres :D but then he got some traction and the civic got eaten :(