PDA

View Full Version : Stiff gears

etbsimo
26-08-2009, 10:10 PM
Hey all, i recently went to inspect a integra VTI-R with my mate. It has done 186 xxx km's and apparently has been serviced every 5000km's.
I took it for a test drive and noticed that when engaging gears from gears 1 to 2 then from 2 to 3 that it was very stiff and felt like something was pulling it back or blocking it from going into gears.

What could the problem be? Has anyone had the same problem?
Thanks for reading

Thanks Simo

na-118
26-08-2009, 10:50 PM
check the fluids, serviced means jackshit if they didn't check the gearbox fluids, slave cyclinder?

JohnL
27-08-2009, 06:47 AM
It sounds like the clutch may not be fully disengaging, which (if so) is likely to be due to air in the hydraulics.

aaronng
27-08-2009, 08:42 AM
Did it have a short shifter?

etbsimo
27-08-2009, 09:14 AM
Did it have a short shifter?

No, car is stock

etbsimo
27-08-2009, 09:15 AM
It sounds like the clutch may not be fully disengaging, which (if so) is likely to be due to air in the hydraulics.

If this is the case, is it an easy DIY job or would it need to be taken into the mechanics?

cheers

vinnY
27-08-2009, 11:30 AM
bleeding is easy, 2 man job
is it only between those gears? easy to get into fourth or fifth?
could possibly be a busted mount making it hard to get into gear

etbsimo
27-08-2009, 03:31 PM
bleeding is easy, 2 man job
is it only between those gears? easy to get into fourth or fifth?
could possibly be a busted mount making it hard to get into gear

From 4th to 5th its fine and feels normal.

string
27-08-2009, 04:47 PM
No amount of regular servicing can counter the effects of mechanical abuse. Some people slam the gears in without letting the box do the work. A good piece of advice I heard was to ask the owner to take you for a drive so you can see how it has been driven.

aaronng
27-08-2009, 05:44 PM
From 4th to 5th its fine and feels normal.

Could be worn synchros in the lower gears. Typical of cars that were driven hard.... :(

etbsimo
27-08-2009, 06:40 PM
Could be worn synchros in the lower gears. Typical of cars that were driven hard.... :(

How would you actually know that though? I'm going back to check it this Saturday with a RACV mechanics but will he be able to tell me if it is the syncros or not?

aaronng
27-08-2009, 07:10 PM
How would you actually know that though? I'm going back to check it this Saturday with a RACV mechanics but will he be able to tell me if it is the syncros or not?

Double clutch and if it goes in smoothly, then the resistance/blocking is caused by worn synchros.

etbsimo
27-08-2009, 09:40 PM
Double clutch and if it goes in smoothly, then the resistance/blocking is caused by worn synchros.

Cheers mate, thanks a lot

JohnL
28-08-2009, 07:55 AM

You think? My experience is that worn synchros have the opposite effect, i.e. don't create enough 'resistance' when the gear speeds are too disparate, and so the gears crunch easily.

aaronng
28-08-2009, 08:38 AM
You think? My experience is that worn synchros have the opposite effect, i.e. don't create enough 'resistance' when the gear speeds are too disparate, and so the gears crunch easily.

I'm just trying to identify what is blocking the transmission from getting into the lower gears for now. If the resistance is gone when double clutching, then the synchros are at fault. Another possible cause is the throttle butterfly not fully closing when his foot is off the throttle.

sw1fty
05-09-2009, 02:57 PM
mate i just serviced mine and just put engine oil in it temporarily, ive noticed the same problems, change the fluid, it should help.
cheers