PDA

View Full Version : average KM's for a bike

marabaan
27-08-2009, 03:25 PM
iv been looking around for a second hand bike.
now as im new this bike buying thing i wanna know what the average KM's for a bike should be.

most of the bike iv seen is have from about 5000km to 15000km and they are from the year 06 to 09.

i also see some with 20000km to 40000km.

also what is considered High k's for a bike.

iv been looking at super sport bikes like the R6 and GSXR 750.

gumbs
27-08-2009, 07:40 PM
Anything up to 50 is pretty standard. Watch out for super sports with really low ks, they may have seen track time without the speedo attached.

c0LL1n
28-08-2009, 05:08 PM
i guess it all depends on what year model you are looking at. Also the location of the bike, if the bike is a daily for the owner or just weekend warrior...

nothing wrong with getting a bike that has been tracked, they are usually quite a bit cheaper. as long as they have been serviced and maintained properly i wouldnt be too worried. unless it has had a big stack or wateva...

gumbs
28-08-2009, 07:04 PM
I have no problem buying a bike if the owner is honest about it seeing track time, its when they feel need to hide it thats the problem. And if a bike has 5k on the clock but has done another 10k on the track you should be paying 40k prices not 5....

nvmee
29-08-2009, 09:26 AM
how about the wear and tear items such as the discs etc how are the wear and tear on those after say 30000km. also major and minor services, major services should be done by the mechanics, things such as valve clearances

aaronng
29-08-2009, 09:54 AM
If you see a bike with low kms but the brakes are worn, discs are grooved, engine sounds like it had better days, then it points to some hard riding there. I wouldn't price the bike solely on kms, but also on condition. If I see a 40k bike which sounds bad, looks worn and is blowing smoke and another bike with 50k but is in good condition and runs smooth, then I would tend to pay more for the 50k bike even if it had more mileage on it.

nvmee
29-08-2009, 10:33 AM
whats ur budget mate.

this is how it normally works out
high kms = commuting
low kms = weekend warrior

weekend warriors have been flogged much more than the commuter

nvmee
29-08-2009, 10:33 AM
u shuld read the handbook for each biek as well to determine when the major services should be done. maybe go for vtwin * drools*

FASN8U
29-08-2009, 11:31 AM
mate you find plenty of r6's/gsxr's with low k's. i personaly wouldnt buy a sportsbike with over 15 thousand kms. i suggest buying as new as you can afford. thers afew bikes listed with 3 thousankd - 10 thousand kms , plenty are legit. how do you no? se the bike in person itself , see the owner does he have track leathers and gear lying around? a garage full of fairings and parts? then yes maybe the bike hes selling was tracked thefore showing innacurate kms. there are plenty of guys who are just weekend cruisers.

i found my 09 gsxr 600 for sale of a guy who done only 4 thousand kms on it

nvmee
29-08-2009, 12:18 PM
thats true, imo your better of buying brand new. 15k for brand new and piece of mind and its about 11-13 for a second hand one.

im currently shopping for one too, but not sure if i should go for a 954 or a 600. 8K budget but the thing is, tyres on big boys are expensive =/

or should i save up another 3k and get a newer bike, or go back to the 250rr.

i commute 80kms a day if that helps

FASN8U
29-08-2009, 02:11 PM
good point about buying new , not sure about yammies, but my gixxer has a 2 year unlimited km factory warranty so you can dave afew grand and stil have peice of mind if your lucky

Kuroko
02-09-2009, 04:26 PM
My rule with bikes is go new unless you want some thing either hard to get or some thing a little custom (from the cruiser perspective). The difference between a commuter and a weekend warrior bike is totally relative to the rider, generally the difference is a more stressed motor vs a more stressed bike (as in, components etc.) I don't even look at the K's as a telling point with bikes if it's high k's and they say there's been no problems then be worried, after 15,000 km's some thing would have cropped up, or some thing would have been changed.

Here's what I do (I've helped a few friends buy bikes) talk to the owner, go over it, get them to point things out about it, let them be telling, ride it, test out the things they told you, find out things that they obviously should have told you... then ask them about those things.

If your unsure of how a bike should feel... ride a few like it first, if your willing to spend the $$ it's worth the time (guessing of course if there's one or two bikes your looking at) uhhh... apart from that? Going new is only ever worth the warranty, even new bikes have problems, it's the warranty time where you want to figure those problems out IMO.

Mostly weekend warriors high K's = 10,000 per year of owning (first years usually going to be the most)
Commuter high = 30K per year

P.S
This is all my opinion on this, only bought five bikes and helped another five.