PDA

View Full Version : New Coilovers

Temp3st
30-08-2009, 01:14 PM
Hey guys i was wondering whether or not i should put coilovers on my civic, or if its better to just go with springs, and if so which brand would be the best bang for buck? Its an EK4 Vti-r. Thanks

burner42
30-08-2009, 01:28 PM
coilovers for sure, Tein, Koni etc

Temp3st
30-08-2009, 01:49 PM
Aight i'll have a look at Tein then because ive heard they were a good brand, i just wanted to double check. Thanks heaps Burner

burner42
30-08-2009, 02:16 PM
To be honest, have a look around, compare what they offer against how much u wanna spend, there's heaps of other brands as well, those were off the top of my head that's all but yeah coilovers are the way to go

simbadda54
30-08-2009, 02:47 PM
Go to Yonas (JDM Yard) and buy the T1R coilovers. Good shit and very cheap

ninzee
30-08-2009, 03:15 PM
^^^ how much do the retail for approx

Hooman
30-08-2009, 03:23 PM
i have tein SS and they are good for my application.

Temp3st
30-08-2009, 03:27 PM
Yeah i dont want anything for track or anything like that, i just want to put em on my civic for street use thats it, but yeah i might have a look at jdmyard too then thanks

VTECnique
30-08-2009, 04:49 PM
Koni yellows with skunk2 coilover kit...

mrwillz
30-08-2009, 05:16 PM
buddy club n+ is nice too. check jdmyard

Temp3st
30-08-2009, 05:36 PM
Koni yellows with skunk2 coilover kit...
And how much exactly would that set me back? As far as i know that would work out quite expensive wouldn't it?

[daan]
30-08-2009, 05:48 PM
Yeah i dont want anything for track or anything like that, i just want to put em on my civic for street use thats it, but yeah i might have a look at jdmyard too then thanks

man. i was same situation, i went for Tein Super street because it designed more for road application, but stiff when you want it to be (adjustable damper, ride height etc) so i had them installed with medium setting its perfect for road use! highly recommend. but search around of course :cool:

Temp3st
30-08-2009, 06:06 PM
Haha thanks Daan that helps me so much man i'm looking around atm but Tein seems to be the best option for me atm

subie
30-08-2009, 06:39 PM
but Tein seem to be a bit too much for his application (only street use)

i'm also in the market for a set of coilovers to suit my ed6. but seem to be too hard to come across ones.

any feed back on HSD ?? or T1R make ones for ed6 ??

Cheers

SiReal
30-08-2009, 07:41 PM
when u buy a set of coils such as super streets or something that is quite 'street friendly', over time you will crave for stiffer spring rates and firmer handling. (much like the subwoofer bass syndrome). I woudl suggest you get a road/track hybrid class setup like Cusco zero2s, tein flexs. Not too stiff for street, not too soft for track.

Dual height adjust is a must.

Spring shock is good but if the height isn't right, u have to get new springs and redo the whole uninstall install process. pain in the ass if u ask me.

simbadda54
30-08-2009, 07:52 PM
T1R perform better than buddyclub N+ and cost the same apparently. 2 way height adjustable and can slam your car if u choose to. I would have opted for them if i didnt get zero2's

Temp3st
30-08-2009, 08:44 PM
Hmmm thanks SiReal glad i started this thread haha learning alot and learning fast. And yeah i'm starting to think you're right. I'm not too keen on second hand stuff just yet because i dont have money to fix it if anything breaks thats my problem atm. so im looking at more of a track hybrid set up then thanks.

EDIT: While I'm on the topic of suspension, does anyone know if just the bushes on the right hand front bottom arm can be replaced? Because my front right bush has sagged, and all the people in my town even Honda says i need to put a whole new arm in, and i dont want to do that if there's an easier cheaper way.

djaddam
31-08-2009, 01:33 PM
yeh deff go coilovers if u have the money lol

VTECnique
31-08-2009, 01:40 PM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55668&highlight=Koni

If your not going to track the car, whats the use of expensive full coilovers? the Koni yellows just as good, great for a daily driven street car.

Will you be adjusting the height of the dampers at all? if not just a set of lowered springs & your set mate...

SiReal
31-08-2009, 02:06 PM
true, but if u change rims and tastes, u have the ability to adjust. I dont go track, but i have coils. u dont need to spend $2K+ on coils.

i have yellows on my accord and have gone through 3 sets of springs to acheive a height that was close to what i wanted. but wasnt what i wanted. in the end i just gave in due to cost.

do the maths $1K for shocks + 2 to 3 sets of springs $700 = a set of coils where u can adjust height to your hearts content. In most cases, coils these days are even cheaper than spring/shock.

spring shock is comfortable, but speaking from experience is cumbersome and lacks finer tuning.

spring coilover units are good ONLY if the rear spring is longer. Otherwise the ride will be stiff and/or bouncy and generally SHIT. Not to mention, the spring wont be captive if u wound the height thread too low and u go over a big angle. We had that problem with skunk2 coils ($600 RRP and too expensive), and koni shocks. rear spring would pop out all the time, the rear was back breaking. in the end , we swapped out the $300 rear set for a compressed set of king springs.

speaking frmo experience having worked and driven with single height adjust coils, dual height adjust coils, spring /shock, coilover/shock, the BEST option for versatility and robustness is the dual height adjust coils. The best option for comfort is carefully matched spring/ shock combo (not to mention, legal as well). The worst option for comfort and robustness is coilover/shock.

Temp3st
31-08-2009, 05:06 PM
Yeah i think i like SiReal's idea better haha. Though before i do that my bushes need to be replaced, and i am having one shit time trying to find them. Its the lower control arm bush outer i think its called on the right hand front side, and apparently NO ONE sells them, Honda says i have to replace the entire control arm, and thats going to cost me about 700ish dollars to buy and fit and i dont want to waste money if i dont have to.

simbadda54
31-08-2009, 05:17 PM
I got some front control arms for sale if u want. They don't have front swaybars holes thought but if u hve an ek1 then it's all good

Temp3st
31-08-2009, 05:27 PM
Nah mate i got an EK4 so that doesnt help me >< thanks though. This is turning out to be more of a bitch than i thought!

SiReal
31-08-2009, 05:32 PM
go to the wreckers and see if u can get EM1 ones?

newer car should be newer bushes?

or even go for aftermarket bushes cant u?

Temp3st
31-08-2009, 05:40 PM
See thats what i thought, but i'm having so much bloody trouble just finding the bushes because apparently you cant just buy them. And i can buy EM1 bushes, just not EK4 ones, i dont want to buy bushes that wont work. with the Tein flex will it feel like im driving a go kart?

EDIT: For now i'll just keep getting your opinion on coilovers, ive thrown the bushes question on the technical side of the forums, so hopefully someone will shed some light on it for me. I've also considered using the money from the coilovers to do some work to the car like a new ecu, cold air induction stuff like that, i was just wondering what you guys think would be a better idea. Currently sitting on King Springs, already have headers so yeah