PDA

View Full Version : ITR cams? worth it? has anyone done it

BlitZ
29-08-2003, 05:42 PM
i want to get ITR or CTR cams in my civic b16... dont know if its justifiable and would i notice the difference... and if i do get it are cams and valve springs enough?

vti-2
29-08-2003, 06:11 PM
Yep, you will definitely notice a difference, especially once you have tuned it properly. What other mods do you have?

I'd go the CTR cams as they are more agressive than the ITR's.

BlitZ
29-08-2003, 08:16 PM
i only have I/H/E... and bodgey too.. hahah the rest a suspension setup..
heard that tyhe oz ITR is same as the jap CTR cams... its only the older ITR ones which are less agressive or somthing like that..

The overrall gain is like 4 kw's or somehting i think i read on clubsi.... u reckon it is true?

BLKCRX
31-08-2003, 12:39 PM
if you can source the cam's at a good price then great, the only thing I would consider with more aggressive cams is duel springs to help protect your head, the other option is to look at custom ground cams or after market cams.

Of corse along with your new cams you will need a new ECU that allows you to control air fuel ratio / ignition and vtec cross over point as the whole dynamic way your engine works will change.

Regards James

K20AR
01-09-2003, 03:09 PM
if you can source the cam's at a good price then great, the only thing I would consider with more aggressive cams is duel springs to help protect your head, the other option is to look at custom ground cams or after market cams.

Of corse along with your new cams you will need a new ECU that allows you to control air fuel ratio / ignition and vtec cross over point as the whole dynamic way your engine works will change.

Regards James

that is correct...even so the tuner will inevitably have an effect on the total behavious of the car...

I would suggest going aftermarket Eg TODA etc

cheers

Jnr Teggy
01-09-2003, 03:51 PM
i would recomend a set of TODA A's or even B's if you are really keen!

BlitZ
01-09-2003, 06:43 PM
yeah i was planning for maybe spec a toda As so i could still keep my power ban under 8k rpms... and not rev it out beyond the lands of the 9 thousand....

proabably get valve springs from ITR or aftermarket ones.. probabaly not retainers too...
and for ecu.. probably get a JUN chip(untunable)...

see where life takes me..

good forum boys.. ill keep the posts running

K20AR
01-09-2003, 07:35 PM
yeah i was planning for maybe spec a toda As so i could still keep my power ban under 8k rpms... and not rev it out beyond the lands of the 9 thousand....

proabably get valve springs from ITR or aftermarket ones.. probabaly not retainers too...
and for ecu.. probably get a JUN chip(untunable)...

see where life takes me..

good forum boys.. ill keep the posts running

I would HIGHLY recommend that you get TODA springs to match the A's or above spec cams...the TODA springs are stiffer than the DC2R ones...

I would get retainers too...if you have issues I would consult with adrian aka TODA RACING AUSTRALIA

cheers

INFLYT
01-09-2003, 09:03 PM
Does anyone know if Civic Type R camshaft's & spring's would be suitable on a set-up that has no aftermarket programmable management (E.C.U), only a piggyback?

K20AR
02-09-2003, 08:54 AM
Does anyone know if Civic Type R camshaft's & spring's would be suitable on a set-up that has no aftermarket programmable management (E.C.U), only a piggyback?

you could get away with a VTEC and fuel piggy...EG Apexi VAFC as far as i know they have the VAFC 2 out...

cheers

aZZ
02-09-2003, 12:26 PM
skunk2 also make some very good cams for the B series and D series.

www.skunk2.com

one more chance
02-09-2003, 01:32 PM
you'll definitely need to adjust your fuel management due to the increase in fuel and air demand with the new cams. if you can get a B16B head, then good luck, they are as rare as duck's nuts!

VTi-R
02-09-2003, 08:39 PM
i dont have a clue what you guys are on about, but how much we spending? and where we spending it?

[G]
02-09-2003, 09:11 PM
i got a set of brand new toda Cs and dual valve springs for sale..2000 for both. Unused and in boxes..check in the marketplace section

TODA AU
02-09-2003, 11:13 PM

Yes, works well...
The gains are moderate but worth it.
You should see 7~8hp at the wheels with no other changes. (Std ECU - no piggyback)
The power gain is only after the Vtec swap as the low cams are identical to your stock camshafts.
On a VtiR Integra, dropping the Type R cams in with no other changes will give 9 HP to the wheels. (Std ECU - no piggyback)
Can be just dropped in... No spring change & no rev limit increase...
Obviously I/H/E is expected already prior to fitting Type R cams...
Your piggyback should give you nice gains in the midrange with the ability to change Vtec swap.
For real power gains, ignition & fuel control is essential.

If you're on a budget & need to save dollars...
Hook up with someone with an Integra Type R (DC2) who's upgrading his or her cams. They aught to be more than happy to offset their cost by selling you their second-hand parts.

Better gain can be had with Spec A camshafts, offering substantial gains over Type R camshafts in the mid range & low end of the rev range...

Cheers

INFLYT
03-09-2003, 12:58 AM
Sound's sweet. So your saying the Civic Type R cam's can go straight in an Integra VTI-R without any further modification's, particularly spring's? And this modification is likely to give 7kw @ the wheel's?
What would be a reasonable price for a pair of CTR cam's?

TODA AU
03-09-2003, 01:26 AM
I've done just that with ITR cams...
CTR cams will probaly net you an aditional 1/2 ~ 1kw if that...
Btw, CTR camshafts aren't too common in Aus...
(Only the intake camshaft is different... slightly more duration)

Word of caution...
Don't go & do this then think it's clever to increase the rpm without first changing the valve springs...

Minimum requirement would be to fit type R intake springs & move your existing intake springs to the exhaust side.
This will see you through with Type R camshafts & a couple of entry level aftermarket camshafts...
Limits...
11.6mm lift intake & less....
11.2mm exhaust lift & less...
Not recommended for use over 9000rpm
Cheers

Dvius_Honda
04-09-2003, 12:46 AM
I put ITR cams in my B16a. Got about a 4-5kw gain at the wheels without adding anything else. I am still using the standard springs as I didnt change the rev limiter. Cams will also be good when doing other mods though.

Setanta
04-09-2003, 08:07 AM
i dont have a clue what you guys are on about, but how much we spending? and where we spending it?

LOL - you know the old adage? If you have to ask... you can't afford it ;)

I saw the good part of 4 grand flash past my eyes in this thread including tuning etc - not sure if I'm in the ball park though with it.

LatinoHatchCrap
08-09-2003, 08:38 PM
well it depends largely on the tuner as much as the type of cams,,,IMO just dropping cams and not tuning is like cooking dinner and not eating it :P i for one will tune my motor just with I/H/E/IM and most prob will get hondata s100.
And dont forget that bigger cams thrive with more air so you better make sure that you're ready to invest in a good header such as the jdm apexi GT spec or even the toda header,,,each can cost between 1200-2000 new!!! a cold air intake and a high flow cat and cat back exhaust is a must.
The most imporatnt thing is your tuner IMO you should find someone that has experience tuning Hondas and not just cars,,,frinds of mine have had horrible experiences going to get their cars tuned by workshops with little or no honda tuning exeperience. So shop around :)
Of course this is just my opinion as to how to get the best of your cams but theres much more...

LatinoHatchCrap
08-09-2003, 08:47 PM
I reckon if you're after an affordable top and reliable cam setup should look into this (anyone is welcomed to add to this :wink: )
1. ITR intake and exhaust cam 580 each
2. JDM spec ITR 4-1 header 500-800 (shop around)
+ tuning of course (200-1000)
you might be looking in total anywhere between 2500-3000
the good thing about this setup is that you might just find someone selling his cams for much much less in which case you can spend that extra cash in other goodies

good luck :wink:

INFLYT
08-09-2003, 09:10 PM
But in the case of an Integra VTI-R for example, the Civic Type R camshaft's would be more suitable, from what I've understood here.

totti
08-09-2003, 10:08 PM
sounds tempting doesn't it INFLYT??? :lol:

INFLYT
09-09-2003, 08:38 PM
They'd be hard to find though as a budget upgrade. Then there's the cost of getting them fitted, and getting the car tuned to suit..........

ALLMTR
09-09-2003, 08:41 PM
VTEC and budget cannot be used in the same post, sorry :(

Jnr Teggy
09-09-2003, 08:56 PM
damn straight chuck!

INFLYT
09-09-2003, 09:36 PM
You'd be suprised......

Jnr Teggy
09-09-2003, 09:43 PM
depends on your opinions of cheap i spose!

LatinoHatchCrap
10-09-2003, 12:01 AM
cheap and fast is not reliable, fast and reliable is not cheap,,,get use to it, this is an expensive hobby :?

BlitZ
10-09-2003, 05:41 PM
shop around and u would be surprised.. ive seen a complete oz ITR 2000 head with one bent valve ... for $900... 30,000kms. should have bought it.

one more chance
10-09-2003, 05:56 PM
cheap and fast is not reliable, fast and reliable is not cheap,,,get use to it, this is an expensive hobby :?

couldnt of said it any better bro...!!! 8)

Jnr Teggy
10-09-2003, 07:08 PM
got it in one there!