PDA

View Full Version : Bushes problem

Temp3st
31-08-2009, 05:42 PM
Hey guys figured i'd throw this in the technical side of the forum because im getting very frustrated. The bush on my lower control arm on the righthand front side (i think its called the outer bush) is worn down and i need to replace it, but i have not found a single place who sells just the bushes, even Honda is telling me i have to replace the entire control arm. Does anyone have any ideas on whether or not i can actually GET those bushes? Or would i be better off just replacing the arm? Thanks in advance

Killa From Manila
31-08-2009, 05:53 PM
energy suspension sells those bushes but make sure u get the 99-00 civic si bushes coz if u get the normal 96-00 civic bushes they wont fit as US civic have a differnt front lca design

Temp3st
31-08-2009, 05:55 PM
Hmm are you sure they will fit on a audm EK4 98 model?

EDIT: https://pontiworld.com.au/energysusp/product_info.php?cPath=56&products_id=228&osCsid=05b2319c447471b04d80f0429315fd6b <<< Anyone know if those will cover the outer bush on the lower control arm?

Killa From Manila
31-08-2009, 06:49 PM
by the outer bush u mean the 1 that the shock fork connects to yea? that link u posted contains the bush, but it wont fit coz US model EK civic have a 2 piece cast lca, except for the 99 si which has the 1 piece stamped lca the same as audm and jdm civics.

i bought the 96-00 set b4 and after comparing and searching on the net, its not the same. ive now got the 99-00 si bushes and compared them, they are what you need.

if u wana get the parts individually try here
http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/

Killa From Manila
31-08-2009, 06:51 PM
ps im running ek4 lca's

Temp3st
31-08-2009, 07:01 PM
http://www.superhonda.com/photopost/data/504/badbushing.JPG <<< thats the bastard i need, but thanks to my mate i now have some idea of where to go! And you of course Killa you're being a great help too man thank you so much

vinnY
31-08-2009, 08:09 PM
energy suspension does do poly ones
but if you want hard rubber ones try hardrace ones instead
i'm using them at the moment, fit like oem :)

intk20A
01-09-2009, 04:03 PM
You can buy every bush separate from honda, dont know why they are saying you cant. i work at honda in melb and you can get it all separate i just replaced control arm bushes on dc2r the other day and they came separate.

Temp3st
01-09-2009, 07:10 PM
Well then the people up here are retarded because thats what they told me, and im running out of options because i live in Hervey Bay its a small town and no one here sells em!

intk20A
02-09-2009, 11:37 AM
call them again and tell them what i told you, sucks when you get the wrong info, maybe you just spoke to the wrong person, there would be more than one honda dealer in brisbane give some one else a call....

Jon_51
03-09-2009, 01:35 PM
try the parts dept. at southside honda in brisbane, I've always found them to be very helpful, even describing the part i need over the phone.

nd55
03-09-2009, 02:13 PM
> i work at honda in melb and you can get it all separate

Part numbers & prices, please.

AFAIK, need to buy whole control arm.

Trailing arm bush might be the exception.

Nick.

intk20A
03-09-2009, 03:22 PM
Sorry my mistake on ek civic you have to buy whole front lower control arm 421 dollars.

But on dc2 and dc2r you can get all of the bushes separate for the front lower control arm, i changed the inner and outer on my mates dc2r the other week....

But the ek and dc2 share almost identical fornt suspension am i not right, somebody correct me if im not.

So buy the lower control arm bushes for an dc2 and they will fit on your civic.....

Part number outer bush 51810 SH3 004 should be about 20 each side.....

Worth a shot is alot cheaper....find a dealer that has them in stock and if they dont fit then you can return for refund. but if you order them in as a special order then you cant return them.... let me know how you go....worth looking into could save alot of money....

intk20A
03-09-2009, 03:27 PM
Also you could jack the front of your car up and measure the diameter of the bushes in question and then when you buy them measure the new ones and see if they match up.......also you will need a hydraulic press to actually change the bush, i took arms to a pedders suspension place and they charged me like 50 to change all four bushes...lower control arm is very easy to get off, the only trouble is lower ball joint.

Temp3st
07-09-2009, 05:02 PM
K well ive actually been to honda and got a diagram of the bush i need lol im so out of ideas it hurts my brain. If anyone knows if the dc2r bushes can go into my EK4 Civic the information would be greatly appreciated. Honda tells me i need to buy the entire damn control arm >< but id ont have that much money yet :( Thanks for the help intk20A and everyone else

vinnY
07-09-2009, 05:15 PM
try and track down some hardrace bush sets
i got a set in my car and it's great
good value for money
all hard rubber instead of urethane type stuff

Temp3st
07-09-2009, 05:39 PM
what car you got though?

vinnY
07-09-2009, 08:18 PM
i got the full hardrace kit for my ek4

Temp3st
07-09-2009, 08:24 PM
Balls! Where did you get it from? Any idea if they'll sell just the front lower control arm ones?

vinnY
07-09-2009, 08:30 PM
doubt it
they don't have the bushes separate on their website (http://www.hardrace.com/products.asp?strClass1=11&strClass2=22&strClass3=17)
if i were you i'd either look at getting a full kit anyway, if that single bush was destroyed who knows what kind of condition the rest of yours are in
otherwise i'd just post a wtb for the entire arm and settle with whatever comes your way
i sold a set of ek front lca's last year for like $80 if that gives you any idea

Temp3st
07-09-2009, 08:51 PM
6122-A: HARDEN RUBBER
FRONT LOWER ARM BUSH Those are the ones i want lol they are on their site have a look at them and tell me if you dont know where i can get those looking ones.

vinnY
07-09-2009, 09:00 PM
weird image doesn't really look like the ones i got
hop on clubitr.com.au, i think they were running a group buy on them
otherwise you can try honda-tech.com or ebay i guess

intk20A
07-09-2009, 10:49 PM
Iv got a DC2 and a ek at home ill measure both bushes on sat, ill get back to you then with an answer. If you can wait that long....

Temp3st
08-09-2009, 09:19 AM
If you're willing to help me intk20A I'm willing to wait man. Lol a DC2 AND an EK lucky bastard! Just remember EK1 and EK4 Control arms are different. Though i dont doubt you already know that lol just making sure.

EDIT: Vinny where did you buy the full hardrace kit for your ek4? Because im starting to think apart from buying brand new control arms that might be my best choice!

big tone
08-09-2009, 09:47 AM
If you're willing to help me intk20A I'm willing to wait man. Lol a DC2 AND an EK lucky bastard! Just remember EK1 and EK4 Control arms are different. Though i dont doubt you already know that lol just making sure.

EDIT: Vinny where did you buy the full hardrace kit for your ek4? Because im starting to think apart from buying brand new control arms that might be my best choice!

hey man it will get sorted out.. i can get a hold of a press so we can save some $$$$$$$$.. i gotta do my trailing arm bushes.. but im a bit ifffy bout the way i have to press the outer shell the press the bush... grrrrr

Temp3st
08-09-2009, 10:29 AM
Lol sup tony yeah atm im just trying to see if i can get my hands on any set of bushes really i dont care if its a master set anymore because its going to still save me about 500$

Killa From Manila
08-09-2009, 03:51 PM
dc2r and ek front lca bushes are not the same.

ek1 and ek4 bushes are the same, the only difference between the control arms is the welded piece of metal on it to mount the swaybar endlink

and becareful when buying EK bushes from the US because their ek's have a different lca design. get bushes from the 99-00 si model, which has the 1 piece stamped lca like ours.

Killa From Manila
08-09-2009, 03:52 PM
if ur after a quick fix, get energy suspension front shock bushing 16.8111

Temp3st
08-09-2009, 04:42 PM
Thanks Killa, how is that a quick fix though? I mean it seems to be what i need?

EDIT: Wait does that mean i can use EK1 bushes or not?

big tone
08-09-2009, 05:09 PM
all you need is the outer bush on the lca (lower control arm) not the lca itself..... but yes id get both left and right hand and also inner and outer......

Killa From Manila
08-09-2009, 05:48 PM
Thanks Killa, how is that a quick fix though? I mean it seems to be what i need?

EDIT: Wait does that mean i can use EK1 bushes or not?

a quick fix as in just get that 1 cheap bush from energy susp rather than a whole new lca form honda. yes u can use ek1 bushes. jdm/audm ek1/ek4/ek9 front lcas use the same bush. usdm ek's are different

Temp3st
08-09-2009, 05:59 PM
Well i found them at autobarn, after i had already been there twice! 138 dollars is better than the arms thats for sure! Now i hope they are the right ones haha >< Thanks to everyone for their help!

eight
13-09-2009, 02:49 PM
hey, where did you get the bushes replaced and how much did it cost you?

or did you DIY?

thanks in advance

try and track down some hardrace bush sets
i got a set in my car and it's great
good value for money
all hard rubber instead of urethane type stuff

vinnY
18-09-2009, 01:13 PM
mostly diy, front lca's had to go to the shop because my press just couldn't do it
got my set off someone off here

nd55
18-09-2009, 10:56 PM
> If anyone knows if the dc2r bushes can go into my EK4

AFAIK ITR suspension is like EG suspension.

Nick.

Temp3st
21-09-2009, 03:25 PM
K well Yonas has a pair of arms with new bushes in them for me, so im buying them for a really good price and i hope they will fit! Even if the arms themselves are old i can always just pop the bushes out and put them in my lcas cant i?

vinnY
23-09-2009, 11:29 AM
last time the guys removed my front lca bushes, they basically had to destroy the one that bolts to the chassis to get it out

Temp3st
23-09-2009, 01:33 PM
Lol well i guess i'm going to find out, if it doesnt work im going back to Honda to see if i can find bushes for one of the different models you guys listed.

big tone
23-09-2009, 03:48 PM
K well Yonas has a pair of arms with new bushes in them for me, so im buying them for a really good price and i hope they will fit! Even if the arms themselves are old i can always just pop the bushes out and put them in my lcas cant i?

man all you'll need to do is swap the whole lca over.. no need to press anything..

Temp3st
29-09-2009, 01:43 PM
Well ive recieved the control arms, they are in really good condition and the bushes as well (Kudos to Yonas and the team at JDMYard!) And now i have to figure out whether to diy or pay a mechanic to do it. Anyone know if we have an article on here for diy installing the front control arms? Im at work and cant search for it :(

vinnY
29-09-2009, 01:50 PM
it's easy dude
1. pop lower ball joint
2. unbolt arm to frame mount
3. unbolt bracket that holds in the rear bush
4. change rear bush on to new arm if necessary

replace in reverse order, total of about 5-6 bolts and about an hour of your time if you haven't done it before

Temp3st
01-10-2009, 11:17 AM
Muchos gracias Vinny you're a real legend thanks heaps man ill get back to you when ive done it all :D