PDA

View Full Version : Why would I buy a Civic?

fitme
02-09-2009, 08:45 AM
I love civic, this is my first choice for my new purchase...but the question is why would I buy a Civic when some of its competitor like the VRX Sportback Lancer or the Impreza has more options and features than the civic? and its cost almost the same, maybe because the re-sale value?
Fuel consumption is not much a difference

ive seen a VRX Sportback around 32kish.and the VTIL is almost the same price...but if you look at the specs, the VRX is a sure winner..18" rims, 2.4L, 7Airbags,6sp CVT with paddle shifter etc..

but at the end of the day im still leaning towards the civic...and i dont know why..:)

EK1.6LCIV
02-09-2009, 08:53 AM
Mitsubishi's are not built to the same calibre as Honda, their panels are dodge and I would bet anthing their electrics in that paddle shifter like an alfa will leave you stranded and looking at over 6k to replace after the warranty expires...

But in saying that, there's very very few new cars I would buy, Subaru's are another story tho apart from that new Impreza, I swear the Japs are slowly going blind in the styling dept, biggest turd of a car to look at handles well tho

burak213
02-09-2009, 08:59 AM
Build quality = Honda

Reliability = Honda

interior/exterior design = Honda

Features = Mitsu

Honda>Mitsu

buddah51au
02-09-2009, 09:03 AM
Build Quality, Reliability, Resale Value, & the Civic is more economical by a fair margin. Long term the Civic will hold together much better.

JumboJetter
02-09-2009, 09:12 AM
Mitsubishi's are not built to the same calibre as Honda, their panels are dodge and I would bet anthing their electrics in that paddle shifter like an alfa will leave you stranded and looking at over 6k to replace after the warranty expires...

they have 10 year warranty on gearbox and motor and 5 years on entire vehicle and have 5 years roadside assistance....

making stuff up hey?

burak213
02-09-2009, 09:28 AM
they have 10 year warranty on gearbox and motor and 5 years on entire vehicle and have 5 years roadside assistance....

making stuff up hey?

with the way mitsu deal with its customers, good luck in making a warranty claim with them.

ej20i
02-09-2009, 09:42 AM
because ur a honda fanboy...thats why ud get a honda civic

fitme
02-09-2009, 10:19 AM
correct me if im wrong but the Civic is built from Thailand and the lancer is from Japan..

they have 10 year warranty on gearbox and motor and 5 years on entire vehicle and have 5 years roadside assistance..

if thats the case..do i need to worry in 5 yrs time?..im not gonna keep any car more than 5yrs anyway..:)

interior/exterior design = Honda
exterior wise(out from the factory)..ill take the VRX Sportback.

JumboJetter
02-09-2009, 10:28 AM
my best friend has a lancer sportback non vrx and loves it.

he got a sunroof too. gunmetal grey

burak213
02-09-2009, 10:36 AM
.ill take the VRX Sportback.

nice, seems like u have made your choice. Seeya!

edmbranch
02-09-2009, 10:47 AM
from my personal experience with the FD

the built quality isn't what it can be, back in the 90's where they're still tight after 10 years.. the current thai built FD's are average, as I own both FD1 and FD2. Both cars have cost me significant amount of time getting them to service and get parts replaced under warranty.

I am fairly disappointed with my decision with the FD, as a few mates of mine who owns FD's also have to put up with the trouble their cars have caused them.

However, the after sales service that Honda Australia provide is very good. That is if your car is under warranty still. All labour and parts were covered under warranty when I got them rectified. So, what happens after warranty, that'll be money out of your own pocket.

Again, this is from my personal experience, and only from the 2 cars that I own. Any other FD's may not have so much trouble as mine. No car is perfect.

fitme
02-09-2009, 11:41 AM
Again, this is from my personal experience, and only from the 2 cars that I own. Any other FD's may not have so much trouble as mine. No car is perfect.

so can you say that whatever manufacturer, there will be still an issue on warranties and reliabilities....?

So if you were to choose...which of the two (VRX Sportback or VTIL)?

damn i dont want to see a white civic anymore...its getting complicated..lol

I heart the SSS
02-09-2009, 11:43 AM
You ask this question on the most brand-nazi forum in the world.

Dude, lol.

fitme
02-09-2009, 11:45 AM
nice, seems like u have made your choice. Seeya!

no i havent made a choice yet...just commented on the looks department...VRX is more appealing to me in exterior design..:)..but whenever i see a white civic rolling on 18's, and slammed thats a different story...:)

fitme
02-09-2009, 11:51 AM
btw i dont know why they didnt continue the Civic VI (EU)??..its a good 5door car...

buddah51au
02-09-2009, 11:52 AM
If the opinion of a licensed mechanic counts for anything there is only 1 choice to make & that is the Civic.

Looks don't count for everything ...... just look at the number of beetles Volkswagen sold ..... ugly in the extreme, but ultra reliable

edmbranch
02-09-2009, 11:56 AM
so can you say that whatever manufacturer, there will be still an issue on warranties and reliabilities....?

So if you were to choose...which of the two (VRX Sportback or VTIL)?

damn i dont want to see a white civic anymore...its getting complicated..lol

I would say, get the car you're most comfortable with, take your time in choosing..

something's bound to go wrong when you own a car, so warranty and reliability isn't what you should expect much from..

will13
02-09-2009, 11:57 AM
I've driven one of those lancer sportbacks...no grunt at all...pretty sure my EG goes harder..

edmbranch
02-09-2009, 12:00 PM
also there's questions like "are you going to mod your car?" :p

EK1.6LCIV
02-09-2009, 12:01 PM

making stuff up hey?

learn to read the fine print on Mitsubishi's warranty lol

it wont cover certain aspects of the gearbox which do break, just like alfas warranty...

fitme
02-09-2009, 12:06 PM
also there's questions like "are you going to mod your car?"

hahaha dont ask me that....we know that the civic has endless modification..

EK1.6LCIV
02-09-2009, 12:08 PM
shit if any of my mates wanted to buy a new mitsubishi even an evo I'd hold a proper intervention and offer more fun, reliable, realistic alternatives

fitme
02-09-2009, 12:13 PM
I've driven one of those lancer sportbacks...no grunt at all...pretty sure my EG goes harder..

if you go againts a CVT sportback...your civic m/t(just guessing) will kill the lancer from standstill...

btw nice avatar,,,(kabayan?)

fitme
02-09-2009, 12:16 PM
so to sum it up...RELIABILITY is the answer? ..

sKy.xD
02-09-2009, 12:28 PM
Have you test driven both thoroughly? That alone should sway you enough to make a decision.

Don't make looks and features your top priority. Should look at handling, ride quality, comfortability, transmission. Looks and features is more the finishing deal ...

But if looks and features are that important to you, go for it.

edmbranch
02-09-2009, 12:53 PM
Have you test driven both thoroughly? That alone should sway you enough to make a decision.

Don't make looks and features your top priority. Should look at handling, ride quality, comfortability, transmission. Looks and features is more the finishing deal ...

But if looks and features are that important to you, go for it.

don't forget.. the DBW lag seems to frustrate a lot of FD owners.. that includes me..

buddah51au
02-09-2009, 02:05 PM
DBW lagis a glitch with many current manual transmission cars, but it is unnoticeable on auto trans models.

SHOGUNOVDDRK
02-09-2009, 02:10 PM
*palm face*

Go and drive all of the options and then make YOUR mind up.

edmbranch
02-09-2009, 02:23 PM
haha *double palm face*

sKy.xD
02-09-2009, 02:32 PM
just going with it *triple palm face*

fitme
02-09-2009, 02:36 PM
lol any chance that honda australia will add the paddle shifter to the 1.8 variant??

ep3ken
02-09-2009, 02:36 PM
I hate CVTs personally, makes the car sound like its in pain and doesn't respond when you want it to. 6 speed doesn't mean jack, CVTs shift so slowly in manual mode that you never end up using it. A proper auto is so much better. :thumbsup: a proper manual is even better for that matter:angel:

edmbranch
02-09-2009, 02:50 PM
nope.. you don't get to option your car to what you want.. besides optional accesories..

there's only 3 trims

vti
vti L
sport

unless you're in S.E.Asia you get to have paddle shifters with the 1.8..
beige interior.. leather or clothe finish.. etc etc..

warwick108
02-09-2009, 03:02 PM
I dont know why ppl have the subaru hatch..i reckon it takes a little getting used to.. but at the end of the day..very sexy car

ekdez
02-09-2009, 03:16 PM
when i was looking to purchase my brand new car..
it was between the impreza rs and the civic vti-L..
im only 20 and chose the honda just better all round i believe.
one thing that won me over was the non-alteza taillights LOL!
also the lines of the fd are hot like fire.! its so clean, no antenna protruding from teh car etc..

also civic fd resell rate will be better then the impreza..

warwick108
02-09-2009, 04:52 PM
if i had the choice again..i dont think i would choose the civic.. i think there is so many other options avaliable.. was gonna get the golf tdi.. i regret not getting that..

ekdez
02-09-2009, 04:56 PM
golf tdi brand new was pretty expensive.. 40 +
i only had 30~35.

warwick108
02-09-2009, 04:59 PM
at the end of 07..they had this sale going on..the polo gti went for 26k drive away.. -_-".. and the golf tdi went for around 29..brand new..=)

xqwzit
02-09-2009, 05:05 PM
if choose again, i will go for impreza rs :)
what edmbranch said its true, within the first year, interior is solid etc but after you can hear trims starts to get loose, rattle etc. same goes for door hinges, arm rest and on..
but in the end, engine is still the most reliable and can take fair bit of abuse :P right ed?

Frost_FD
02-09-2009, 05:22 PM
Im still happy with the 28K i spent on my VTI-L.

Only regret that i have is buying a brand new car!!

Next car will be a second hand car, e92 M3 :)

edmbranch
02-09-2009, 08:28 PM
what edmbranch said its true, within the first year, interior is solid etc but after you can hear trims starts to get loose, rattle etc. same goes for door hinges, arm rest and on..
but in the end, engine is still the most reliable and can take fair bit of abuse :P right ed?

that's exactly what happened..
everything starts to fall apart..

but the engine is top :thumbsup:

warwick108
02-09-2009, 08:45 PM
well.. if we are all naming car's we dream about getting..then my next car is gonna be a murcielago..=)

ekdez
02-09-2009, 10:45 PM
z4 for me.

edmbranch
02-09-2009, 10:51 PM
toyobaru 086A for me

buddah51au
03-09-2009, 08:52 AM

The Impeza RS is the pick of the Impreza range in my opinion, but for that money you are approaching the cost of a base Accord Euro. In comparing those 2 cars there is 1 stand out winner in my opinion, & that is the Euro.

ekdez
03-09-2009, 09:42 AM
or even the accord v6.. oh so hot!

buddah51au
03-09-2009, 10:12 AM
Maybe so, but in a different price bracket. I thought the idea was to compare cars of a similar price!

xqwzit
03-09-2009, 11:26 AM
euro is not my cup of tea.
i chose the RS because of the handling, which new car at that price can handle better?

aero
03-09-2009, 11:31 AM
the euro did win this year's car of the year from wheels magazine. there must be a bunch reasons as to why it beat all the other competitors

ep3ken
03-09-2009, 11:39 AM
i chose the RS because of the handling, which new car at that price can handle better?

XR4
Suzuki Swift Sport
Renault Clio Sport

the price of RS gets close to XR5 turbo so sorry imho RS stinks :thumbdwn: car is too heavy and engine is underpowered

if ur just comparing to the FD civic then yes RS handles better but there are far better handling cars around.

xqwzit
03-09-2009, 11:42 AM
yeah but which one is 4 door sedan?
and for myself i hate ford and holden and i never look into them
and yes comparing FD to other 4 door sedans is what this thread is about

buddah51au
03-09-2009, 12:08 PM

There is nothing wrong with the handling of the CU2 Euro, it would be up there with the best of the medium size 4 door sedans, & i can promise you the Impreza wouldn't come close to the economy of a Euro.

xqwzit
03-09-2009, 12:20 PM
yeah no doubt with the economy.
glad you love your euro so much, any plans?
get a full bumper mugen kit :)

rene
03-09-2009, 12:46 PM
uhm guys..."fitme" the guy who created this thread has probly gone and buy him self a brand new bike for all we know, so quit this which one is better :P its all up to the eye of beholder...
Lets talk about girls, which one is hawter Megan Fox, Isabel Lucas or Miranda Kerr? I am sure this will keep the tread going for another 40 more pages LOL.

buddah51au
03-09-2009, 12:50 PM
yeah no doubt with the economy.
glad you love your euro so much, any plans?
get a full bumper mugen kit :)

Plans .....maybe give this 1 to the wife in a year or so, & get another 1.

As for talking about women, 1 headache is enough for me ty.

rene
03-09-2009, 12:53 PM
Plans .....maybe give this 1 to the wife in a year or so, & get another 1.

As for talking about women, 1 headache is enough for me ty.

oh cmon, you just saying that cuz your lady is reading this forum as well :p

aero
03-09-2009, 03:41 PM
i say kerr ftw!

rene
03-09-2009, 04:22 PM
i say kerr ftw!

mmm with Miranda I dunnoe man i feel she is putting an act.

fox is really foxy. would be great if you could keep both of them..one as a wife one as concubine....hrrrr

ep3ken
03-09-2009, 05:00 PM
I prefer curves to stick so Fox for me :D

burak213
04-09-2009, 11:30 AM
http://www.mersenneforum.org/images/smilies/extra/direction.gif

Fergs
04-09-2009, 11:38 AM
interesting - I work at Eastside Mits - I can see if I can help you with a car too - I drive a early civic because of it's character, it's funny but the newer cars haev had there teeth filed back. Thats just the way I see it anyway. I used to have a 08 type R but it didn't have the feel of my current EF9 - gotta love JDM

warwick108
04-09-2009, 11:47 AM
i think the new clio sport is just damn sexy.. =).. how much is the rs band new?.. is it close to 35k?.. can you buy the new accord vti for 35k?..=S. i always thought the base model of the accords/euro accords are 40k?.. =S..

buddah51au
04-09-2009, 12:07 PM
You should be able to get a base model Euro manual for around 36K, add 2K for Auto that's drive away

MackTheKnife
04-09-2009, 02:51 PM
I thought I might throw in my 2c worth. I was in a similar predicament last year, I was aiming sub $30k and wanted a car that would commute about 150km per day, often using the Old Pacific Highway north of Sydney.

As a result my top priority was a good Chassis which needed to be as light as possible (at 1180 kg the Civic VTi was a clear winner on that front). It needed to have the ability to be driven without traction control (VTi has no traction control, bonus but this ruled out the Lancer for me and Civic Sport).
Cruise Control was required as was a Manual box.

Power to Weight is more telling than outright power as anyone who has ever driven a Lotus attest, and the Civic Vti being lighter than the Corolla, Focus & Mazda 3 showed a better power to Weight. The manual VTi puts out 11.45 kg/kw, which was better than the base Lancer 2.0 (11.54 kg/kw) and close enough to the Civic Sport and Lancer VRX (11.09 & 10.76 respectively). The Civic Sport's lack of steering feel from the electronically assisted set up had ruled it out anyway and at 1,345kg, the Lancer would have been a pig in the twisty's.

The Civic VTi won out after exhaustive test drives, a drive down a corkscrew type road sealed the deal, Optioned of course with the optional 16's offered for the VTi-L. It doesn't understeer too bad on the limit, and the lift off oversteer is dished up in a pleasant manner.

Looks wise, I thought at the time the Lancer was a stand out, and I thought the Civic looked like a Honda Odyssey sedan. Looks wasn't a priority at all since I souldn't have to look at it sitting inside. Time has done it favours and I do like the Honda now. Conversley, since the advent of the afterthought known as the Lancer Sportback I think the Lancer looks dated now.

Anyway, my advice is to keep your options open and draw up a list of must haves and wants. Drive everything that ticks your boxes and pick the one you like to drive the most. Who knows, you might even end up with a Holden Cruze Diesel?? and happy.

warwick108
05-09-2009, 03:43 PM
i took my cousins sp25 for a drive last nite.. that thing is pretty grunty... not a bad ride over all.. feels alot smoother than the fd.. =).. bose system, leather, sunroof and sat nav.. =D

buddah51au
05-09-2009, 04:21 PM
i took my cousins sp25 for a drive last nite.. that thing is pretty grunty... not a bad ride over all.. feels alot smoother than the fd.. =).. bose system, leather, sunroof and sat nav.. =D

But once again the SP25 is close in price to a base CU2 Euro & the 2 cars can't be compared.

Sherweeeny
07-09-2009, 05:57 PM

wtf???? find out where the lancers are built then find out where the civics are built. also alfa selespeeds are manuals with auto clutches, and the parts on that is where it screws them up. im sure mitsubishi can manage 2 wires going in and out of the steering wheel attached to a paddle just fine.

ps i havent read other posts, so if ur "smart and educated" comment has already been flamed, then i apologise.

UCNDRM
08-09-2009, 09:12 PM
hey guys i no the thread has gone in another direction, however,

from the outset we arent comparing apples with apples,

you cant compare a sportsback VRX with a civic sedan VTi-L

to compare properly you need to go sedan with sedan not hatch and compare the right models

civic vti = lancer es
civic vti-l = lancer vr
civic sport = lancer vrx / lancer aspire

do some reasearch mate and pick what makes you happy

btw dont even bother with the impreza, my mate has an RS in manual and my shitty vti manual kicks its ass from a standstill and even more from rolling at 40, 60 and 80 km/h, but if ur not a lead foot that wouldnt interest you.