PDA

View Full Version : DC5 CAI such as injen VS. podfilter

IBBI
02-09-2009, 10:41 AM
has anyone tried both setups, thats a full cold air intake vs. just replacing the stock airbox with a pod filter....massive differences between the two or any dyno figures?

reason im asking is because i would rather pay 30 bucks for a 3A airfilter that has really good flow and filteration than $500 odd bucks for the whole kit if there isnt much notable difference....

cheers

45SET
02-09-2009, 11:28 AM
Do it once, do it right.

If you wanna mod the intake on the cheap look into the "Hondata airbox mod"... basically you just hack up the bottom section of the stock airbox, and remove most of the panels on the inside of it. This makes a slight difference.

Don't bother with the pod-on-a-pipe. If you plan on having the pod in the same location as the stock airbox its a waste of time. I originally had one there. The noise is insane, but because it is right next to the engine, and above the gearbox, it suffers from heat soak quiet badly. I actually had the car dyno'd with that as the only mod, car made 116kw, then 114, then 112...

TheSaint
02-09-2009, 12:25 PM
you are comparing what is effectivly a crappy SRI (short ram intake) to a high quality CAI (cold air intake) ... on the DC5 these both put the filter in completly different locations ...

Injen/Fujita cold air intake is going to be ALOT more effective as it draws air from the front of the car ... not right next to the hot engine =/

Do it once, do it right.

imratedpg
02-09-2009, 05:09 PM
Do it once, do it right.

MMike
02-09-2009, 06:08 PM
From all the research I've done from when I was in the market for a DC5R, I found that the Injen CAI is one of the best bang-for-buck intakes for the DC5R. However replacing the stock air box on the DC5R with a pod filter will mean the intake will be affected by heatsoak, which in essence, means less power.

The Injen CAI will sit out of the engine bay, bringing cold air into the engine, which will actually see an increase in performance (not to mention sound absolutely amazing). Here's a dyno chart of a stock DC5R compared to a DC5R with just an Injen CAI that I saw in another thread (back-to-back testing):

Stock DC5R
DC5R with Injen CAI

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/4590/dynoevc.jpg

And I have to agree with what the others have said in the thread, it's beneficial in both the short and long term to do it correctly the first time as it will save you lot of dollars :)!

Good luck, hope this helped somewhat :wave:

EDIT: Also, here's a thread I found in the Integra forum regarding intakes for the DC5R, click (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32222&highlight=dc5r+intake+cai+sri)!

TheSaint
02-09-2009, 08:07 PM
Fujita is also a very good intake ... they are almost the same as the Injen but the pod design is alot more like the apexi

PNS 001_EG3
04-09-2009, 06:23 PM
has anyone tried both setups, thats a full cold air intake vs. just replacing the stock airbox with a pod filter....massive differences between the two or any dyno figures?

reason im asking is because i would rather pay 30 bucks for a 3A airfilter that has really good flow and filteration than $500 odd bucks for the whole kit if there isnt much notable difference....

cheers

If you are looking for a cheaper option with great results get a kn panel filter and run CAI pipe to it best bang for your buck intake will flow heaps more air and still be cool and it wont cost you an arm and a leg.

i had my airbox replaced originaly and got best results with what was done above. only thing is you dont get the howling vtec sound we all love.

randalln
04-09-2009, 10:19 PM
do it twice and it ain't nice