PDA

View Full Version : noise of a worn tie rod end

SuperSteve
02-09-2009, 02:38 PM
Hey guys,

Just a question, anyone had a worn tie end rod b4 ?? If so did it make a noise at all ?? If it did what sort of noise ??

Cheers

JohnL
02-09-2009, 04:06 PM
It may or may not be noisy (rattle or clunk, which could also be a ball joint), but you should be able to feel a worn rod end if you jack the wheel off the ground and wiggle it with your hands at 9 and 3 oclock on the wheel. It can help if you have an assistant wiggle the wheel while you hold the rod end and the end of the steering arm in your hand so you can feel any movement between these parts.

If you suspect a worn rod end but can't find one, don't overlook the 'rack-ends', which are the joints at the other end of the tie rods where they attach to the rack shaft.

SuperSteve
02-09-2009, 04:23 PM
It may or may not be noisy (rattle or clunk, which could also be a ball joint), but you should be able to feel a worn rod end if you jack the wheel off the ground and wiggle it with your hands at 9 and 3 oclock on the wheel. It can help if you have an assistant wiggle the wheel while you hold the rod end and the end of the steering arm in your hand so you can feel any movement between these parts.

If you suspect a worn rod end but can't find one, don't overlook the 'rack-ends', which are the joints at the other end of the tie rods where they attach to the rack shaft.

thanks mate

you just described exactly what is happening to my car

Cheers bud:thumbsup:

vinnY
02-09-2009, 06:03 PM
if it's the inner tie rod you can just grab the tie rod itself and jerk it back and forth
should make a clunk/click sound(shows there is movement) if it's worn, otherwise it should be solid and make no noise

bennjamin
04-09-2009, 06:47 PM
just a bump for EP3 and DC5 owners out there...the lower you go the more wear you will put on the standard tie rod ends. Companies offer inverted tie rod ends or shortened rack ends to post pone wear tho !

SuperSteve
19-09-2009, 10:07 PM
Hey guys just thought i should post the outcome of what happened.

I had inverted tie rods ends which i was planning to install cause my stock tie rod ends were worn. When my mechanic went to install it the inverted tie rods ends wouldnt fit into the hole of my buddyclub rsd's. I then sourced some stock ep3 tie rods and fitted them. Noise is gone now and steering is better :) But yeah sucks knowing now that i cant use inverted tie rod ends with my buddy club RSD's :( ALSO them inverted tie rod ends fitted perfectly on tien coilovers.