PDA

View Full Version : Slam my EK1

Jiztec
03-09-2009, 11:05 AM
just wanting to know what spring/shock combinations there are that will really drop my civic on its ass, i want it LOW. Or even coilovers, i dont really care about performance because i want it to look great not handle great if you know what i mean. I want it to be less than $1000.
thanks guys

chargeR
03-09-2009, 11:54 AM
Check out THIS (http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2077238) thread on Honda-Tech. Ground Control (GC) coilover sleeves with custom rates combined with Koni yellow dampers with extended top hats at the front seem to be a fairly respected setup to get pretty low. If you want to go extreme then cut the front shock towers to allow more upper control arm travel, smash the seam in the top of the wheel well flat, and run 195/45/15 tyres.

Do not get camber arms as they are thicker than oem and will reduce your suspension's bump travel.

If you want to be cheap you can just get the GC coilover sleeves on OEM dampers but it will handle and ride horribly.

SiReal
03-09-2009, 08:53 PM
just get D2s man. The above solution is too good to waste on a requirement like his.

mr180sx
04-09-2009, 09:34 AM
^^ Agreed D2's are your best bet

Jiztec
04-09-2009, 10:43 AM
ok so D2's are the ebay coilovers yeah? im running 17/205/40.
So coilovers are the only way to go when slamming other than airbags??

SiReal
04-09-2009, 11:49 AM
yes. D2s, G4s, BC racing are the best option. spring/shock are crap for slamming, as the springs will usually be uncaptive due to being too short. and hence also dangerous.

D2 G4 and BC are all dual perch so they will serve you well.

Bludger
08-09-2009, 01:24 PM
SiReal is right on.

should be in Civic sectrion.

sakitumi
10-09-2009, 05:08 PM
any views on coilovers sleeves? anyone used these before?
wondering how good they are...

SiReal
10-09-2009, 05:13 PM
any views on coilovers sleeves? anyone used these before?
wondering how good they are...

if the front spring length is same as rear spring length then ur focked - front is fine, rears are bouncy stiff and back breaking and springs come out of perch easily. its dangerous.

dont do u unless its a proper kit like ground control (eibach spring - rear spring is longer). i even qustion skunk2 (what we used and hated - swapped the rears out for king springs in the end)

sakitumi
10-09-2009, 09:28 PM
if the front spring length is same as rear spring length then ur focked - front is fine, rears are bouncy stiff and back breaking and springs come out of perch easily. its dangerous.

dont do u unless its a proper kit like ground control (eibach spring - rear spring is longer). i even qustion skunk2 (what we used and hated - swapped the rears out for king springs in the end)

oooo did not know that.
was researching on them, they dont seem that bad but as i have never had them before so dont really know how they truly are...

how would rate them in comparison to something such as D2 coilovers and other brand names within that range when compared to coilover sleeves?

SiReal
10-09-2009, 11:07 PM
its all to do with the spring length imo (expect soft to medium spring rates). i hated them . i really did. even my cusco stiff as sh1t coilover units were more comfortable than the coilover sleeves. thsi is because the spring rates are deisnged for that particular car - whereas the sleeves are designed for most cars... so they could be used for an accord with 3 15" subwoofers in the back, or a light eg hatch with nothing... its not right. Its like making a condom thats one size fits all. Just doesnt work.

i have heard and sen bad things about D2, so i would pay the extra $150 or $200 and go get BC racing coils off eGay. I have only read good things thus far. At least the spring rates are matched for the car, and the dual height system enables the spring to remain captive and hence safer! you wont regret getting dual height adjustable coils the first time. Cos i learnt it the hard way - spring/shock, coilover sleeve/shock, single height coilover, and finally the best, most versatile - dual height coilover.

mr180sx
11-09-2009, 09:42 AM
ppl always say they have heard bad things about D2's and that same picture of the s14 keeps popping up. But personally my brother and i have gone through 4 sets on different cars and have never had a problem.

My friend is running his d2's in his EF in sydney over 2 yrs now and no problems. And this is from personal experience not things i have heard!:thumbsup:

its all to do with the spring length imo (expect soft to medium spring rates). i hated them . i really did. even my cusco stiff as sh1t coilover units were more comfortable than the coilover sleeves. thsi is because the spring rates are deisnged for that particular car - whereas the sleeves are designed for most cars... so they could be used for an accord with 3 15" subwoofers in the back, or a light eg hatch with nothing... its not right. Its like making a condom thats one size fits all. Just doesnt work.

i have heard and sen bad things about D2, so i would pay the extra $150 or $200 and go get BC racing coils off eGay. I have only read good things thus far. At least the spring rates are matched for the car, and the dual height system enables the spring to remain captive and hence safer! you wont regret getting dual height adjustable coils the first time. Cos i learnt it the hard way - spring/shock, coilover sleeve/shock, single height coilover, and finally the best, most versatile - dual height coilover.

SiReal
11-09-2009, 09:49 AM
good post :thumbsup:

it also depends whether you want to take the risk on a brand where there has been negative feedback as well as positive feedback. If you're spending $1k, and can spend an extra 10% more for something that has been good so far, then I personally would do that. But at the end of the day, defects occur in all products and the choice remains in the posters hands. Good luck with your choice!

Bludger
11-09-2009, 09:58 AM
Hey Jeff, you know any products that'll lower my daily?

like lower than what it is now?

sakitumi
11-09-2009, 11:00 AM
good post :thumbsup:

it also depends whether you want to take the risk on a brand where there has been negative feedback as well as positive feedback. If you're spending $1k, and can spend an extra 10% more for something that has been good so far, then I personally would do that. But at the end of the day, defects occur in all products and the choice remains in the posters hands. Good luck with your choice!

its true if you spend an extra 10% for another set of coilovers but then again you can just but another 10% on top to even get better than the ones before though. true? well thats what i think sometimes

i hear good and bad things about d2. but i just reckon its how you use them wisely, if you use them just street wise only then i guess d2 wouldnt be a problem where as using for tracking its a different story?