PDA

View Full Version : Intake cheap vs branded

euro1603
03-09-2009, 09:12 PM
Yes I agree, in life what you paid for is what you get..

I would love to deak out my euro full or JDM and mugen gear.. but i have a 2 mortgages a wife and a kid to feed, so i can't afford it.

I'm looking at an intake to purchase, seems like the popular choices are injen, k&n typhoon , ct ice box.. all of these fine products are $400 + To me its pretty expensive for a few kw improvement.

There are plenty of cheap intake available from ebay, they're similar in shapes and material.

like this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BCP-04-05-06-07-08-Acura-TSX-2-4L-Cold-Air-Intake_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14Q QhashZitem5634a05228QQitemZ370250109480QQptZMotors Q5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

A tenth of the price , and i can even buy a branded pod to stick at the end of it.. so i ask you guys, what is the difference between say an k&n typhoon and the one above on ebay..

moogle
03-09-2009, 09:15 PM
hmm yeah i like cheap stuff too!
for the ebay ones just make sure it will fit your car
cause once time i bought an ebay CAI kit and it didn't fit my car..

DLO01
03-09-2009, 09:20 PM
Yeh, same as above. I'd be more concerned about fitment. As long as the pipe is an ok size, smooth on the inside and relatively strong. Then its fine. You can always get a better air filter if the one supplied is crap. My intake arm was cheap as to make and I'd bet it does the same or better than the top name brands.

Ken-f
03-09-2009, 09:45 PM
Looks the same as my fujita. However, I'd prefer genuine so I know that fitment is perfect. For all you know, it might be the same without the brand on it. After all, theres nothing really technical about it.

SiReal
03-09-2009, 10:30 PM
I like the mans thinking (euro1603). Its pretty simple, air gets sucked in, so who really needs a $400 piece of pipe which probably costs $40 to produce? Unless it was gold plated then I might consider.

Go the ebay special. Even if it doesnt fit, you can make it fit. failing that, meh, it was only $50 or so dollars - it'll make a nice addition to your rainwater catchment system on your house.

euro1603
03-09-2009, 10:37 PM
I like the mans thinking (euro1603). Its pretty simple, air gets sucked in, so who really needs a $400 piece of pipe which probably costs $40 to produce? Unless it was gold plated then I might consider.

Go the ebay special. Even if it doesnt fit, you can make it fit. failing that, meh, it was only $50 or so dollars - it'll make a nice addition to your rainwater catchment system on your house.

A Cai rainwater catchment pipe LOL!!!:D i think you're onto something..

RiceMeister
03-09-2009, 10:51 PM
go for the ebay CAI man, chances are fitment will be good enough and if not...a little bit of DIY will do the trick.

I was all for dropping stupid money on a brand name intake, but at the end of the day performance-wise... a metal pipe is a metal pipe haha. so just went with a kit similar to that and changed the pod to K & N. sounds good, looks nice in the bay and adds a bit of kick. sure it doesn't have the fan-boy attractiveness of injen..but it cost a 10th of the price.

good luck mate!

hooyn
03-09-2009, 10:52 PM
same shit different name. seeing all the different brands of "COLD AIR INTAKES" i reckon its all bs.

get your own made. same thing just without the shiny finished surface.

euromandeluxe
03-09-2009, 11:32 PM
There are plenty of cheap intake available from ebay, they're similar in shapes and material.

like this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BCP-04-05-06-07-08-Acura-TSX-2-4L-Cold-Air-Intake_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14Q QhashZitem5634a05228QQitemZ370250109480QQptZMotors Q5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

definitely agree on the money-saving, however just remember that for that kit (and most of the other TSX ones) you'll be paying AU$130 for the product + international shipping. add in a decent pod and you'll be looking at $170+. which is still alright.

im more interested in these custom made up kits. who cares about looks.

hooyn (or anyone) sorry for the noob question, but where/how much for can custom piping be made up for? exhaust shops?
and they would include sockets for all the sensors etc?

hondar
03-09-2009, 11:49 PM
air intake length will have an impact on the air velocity and impact how the engine draw in the air during the 4 stroke cycle

taken from wikipedia
The four strokes refer to intake, compression, combustion (power), and exhaust strokes that occur during two crankshaft rotations per working cycle of the gasoline engine and diesel engine.

The cycle begins at top dead center (TDC), when the piston is farthest away from the axis of the crankshaft.

On the intake or induction stroke of the piston, the piston descends from the top of the cylinder, reducing the pressure inside the cylinder. A mixture of fuel and air is forced (by atmospheric or greater pressure) into the cylinder through the intake (inlet) port. The intake (inlet) valve (or valves) then close(s), and the compression stroke compresses the fuel–air mixture. (i believe this is where the air velocity becomes important which is affected by the air intake or box design)

The air–fuel mixture is then ignited near the end of the compression stroke, usually by a spark plug (for a gasoline or Otto cycle engine) . The resulting pressure of burning gases pushes the piston through the power stroke. In the exhaust stroke, the piston pushes the products of combustion from the cylinder through an exhaust valve or valves.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a6/4-Stroke-Engine.gif (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:4-Stroke-Engine.gif)

some general fit all intake can cause you to lose power instead of gain.

just take an example,
most honda air box are generally has very good design and each according to different car. if an air box just an air box, wouldnt be economical to slap the same air box across all model? there must be reason to it i suppose to match the engine they are on (and of course as technology progress, they can design better and better air box)

generally branded intake like mugen, gruppe m, js racing etc.. they did their research, we are paying for the expertise more than the material itself.

generic brand sometime work and sometime dont. but i guess if they are cheap and you wouldnt mind brandless intake, its worth a shot

tony1234
04-09-2009, 07:30 AM
Yes I agree, in life what you paid for is what you get..

I would love to deak out my euro full or JDM and mugen gear.. but i have a 2 mortgages a wife and a kid to feed, so i can't afford it.

I'm looking at an intake to purchase, seems like the popular choices are injen, k&n typhoon , ct ice box.. all of these fine products are $400 + To me its pretty expensive for a few kw improvement.

like this one:

A tenth of the price , and i can even buy a branded pod to stick at the end of it.. so i ask you guys, what is the difference between say an k&n typhoon and the one above on ebay..
I've got an Icebox.Nice and quiet.They improve the low-mid range torque and even give a little up high.Good value. approx.$270.00 to your door.:thumbsup:

denot
04-09-2009, 09:41 PM
I've got an Icebox.Nice and quiet.They improve the low-mid range torque and even give a little up high.Good value. approx.$270.00 to your door.:thumbsup:

cant wait till the one 4 cu2 is out

hooyn
04-09-2009, 10:04 PM
seriously its not worht spending more than say 250 - 300 on one of these if you want to go for a branded one.

there would be a limit as to how much 'air velocity' you can achieve and the 250 - 300 ones like the injen would have been optimised for this.

i reckon the more expensive ones your paying for are just for the materials used + the brand name factor.

i understand that something like a mugen / gruppe M made from carbon composite would be expensive but paying nearly edit : 4 figures figure for one is just. ... lol

i.e. get a turbo

redmugenjazz
04-09-2009, 10:10 PM
here's my storm water intake -
http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp319/redmugenjazz/DSC_4489.jpg
http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp319/redmugenjazz/DSC_4492.jpg

hooyn
04-09-2009, 10:12 PM
that shit is mad nam lol

i should done that instead of paying 350 for mine -_-

euro1603
04-09-2009, 11:10 PM
Well I bought a generic one on ebay.. paid $130 aussie dollars for it.. well let you guys know if it was worth it or not.

I mean at the end of the day, if i had deep pockets i would just mugen the hell out of the whole car, and it goes the same as convincing people with deep pockets that a generic one is just as good. Each to their own.

redmugenjazz.. that is the shitzzz.. should have painted the tubing green and chuck some mario and luigi stickers on it.. love it.. absolute gem.. thats frkn custom intake for ya..

denot
05-09-2009, 08:45 AM
I go for cheaper intake as long as there's carbon fibre cover for it. :p

Min988
05-09-2009, 11:03 AM
I've used both the injen cai/ram, the fujita, hated the loss of power down low, couldnt lead foot everywhere because i hated the cost to my hip pocket, love the noise hate the rest of the shit, with an CAI your going to be regretting it 95 percent the time when you driving not like a hoon and the other 5 percent of the time your thinking this shit is awesome. I've got back to my stock airbox with K&n filter without resonator and im loving the fuel economy, and the ability to climb small hills normally without punching it.

Next on my list to try is the Nam's Ghetto rain pipe design.

tony1234
05-09-2009, 11:36 AM
I've used both the injen cai/ram, the fujita, hated the loss of power down low, couldnt lead foot everywhere because i hated the cost to my hip pocket, love the noise hate the rest of the shit, with an CAI your going to be regretting it 95 percent the time when you driving not like a hoon and the other 5 percent of the time your thinking this shit is awesome. I've got back to my stock airbox with K&n filter without resonator and im loving the fuel economy, and the ability to climb small hills normally without punching it.

Next on my list to try is the Nam's Ghetto rain pipe design.
Install an Icebox and you'll have none of those problems

redmugenjazz
05-09-2009, 06:35 PM
Well I bought a generic one on ebay.. paid $130 aussie dollars for it.. well let you guys know if it was worth it or not.

I mean at the end of the day, if i had deep pockets i would just mugen the hell out of the whole car, and it goes the same as convincing people with deep pockets that a generic one is just as good. Each to their own.

redmugenjazz.. that is the shitzzz.. should have painted the tubing green and chuck some mario and luigi stickers on it.. love it.. absolute gem.. thats frkn custom intake for ya..

now why didn;t i think of that - from my experience, the CAI (storm water pipe) kills the torque below 3000 and gives u a little more noise and pull at 4 and beyond. But ever since i got a twin loop the whole setup is running better down low. This is from my econo box experience - it might be different between models.so how is the performance with the ebay intake euro1603?, i'm consider proper modding when i save enough for a cl9.

euro1603
05-09-2009, 11:10 PM
now why didn;t i think of that - from my experience, the CAI (storm water pipe) kills the torque below 3000 and gives u a little more noise and pull at 4 and beyond. But ever since i got a twin loop the whole setup is running better down low. This is from my econo box experience - it might be different between models.so how is the performance with the ebay intake euro1603?, i'm consider proper modding when i save enough for a cl9.

havn't got it yet.. Off to japan next week, can't wait to got to their auto shops.. got my shopping list ready.. who knows might bring back a 5zigen exhaust system back hahha i wish..

i'll let you know on the install in a few weeks time. In my civic what i did was use a stock box with k&n filter, and have fitted a tube to the front grill, i know it was pushing allot air into the box cos the filter was getting dirty so so quickly, and i'm sure the filter can't catch everything so not quite good for the engine, as for power gains, i couldn't tell the difference, sounded nice though.. unlike my civic which is 13 years old.. i would get the euro a proper cai instead..