my b18c seems to be drinking lots of petrol
i get around 300 kms for a full tank
im planning to change the o2 sensor
anything else that may cause this problem
the car is completely stock

thanks

bennjamin
05-09-2009, 08:43 AM
blocked fuel filter , air filter or cat convertor.
Low air in tyres.
OR just needs a service

dougie_504
06-09-2009, 03:21 PM
How're your injectors? How about engine temp? If it's running a bit too cool it'll use more petrol ---> thermostat not closing?

astrob0y_
06-09-2009, 05:19 PM
How're your injectors? How about engine temp? If it's running a bit too cool it'll use more petrol ---> thermostat not closing?

yeah im pretty sure my thermostat needs changing

where can i get a replacement one?

dougie_504
06-09-2009, 05:45 PM
yeah im pretty sure my thermostat needs changing

where can i get a replacement one?

Well just check to see if your temp is sitting around the right place. I drove my car for a bit and realised that after like 40min of driving my engine was still reading as dead cold, and my fuel usage went up to over 10L/100 (thermostat wasn't closing to allow engine to warm up).

Go to a Honda spare parts dealer. I got my thermostat for my EH VTi from Bursons and the thermostat itself works fine but the rubber O-Ring that goes around the edge of the thermostat to make a tight seal was totally bullshit and didn't fit the mould of the piping properly.

They're expensive too, considering it's such a little thing. If you want you can buy the thermostat at Bursons or something and then just buy an individual O-Ring from a Honda dealer.

Oh, and it's a bitch of a job too (well, I have big hands...). It's typical Honda...foot long screwdriver for bolt one...2cm screwdriver for bolt two...can't get ya hand in there...or up there...you know what I mean :)

Good luck :D
Andy.

TODA AU
06-09-2009, 06:25 PM
Further to above comments...
Check coolant thermostat... If unservicable, replace it...
But only use genuine, stay away from cheaper generic thermostats, as they're shit.
Check the engine coolant temp sensor resistance. (2 wire plug sensor)
Check O2 sensor output (replace if unservicable)
Check catalyst (as ben said)
Then service the car...
Oil, oil filter, plugs, tappets, timing etc...

richy b
07-09-2009, 07:05 PM
yeah, i agree, give your car a full service, and ,actually see if thermostat is opening, bottom hose should be cold when running for a few minutes, and should be hot once thermostat opens and fans kick in. i wouldnt reccomend you chancing sensors due to fuel comsuption, check for codes, and take it from there....

astrob0y_
09-09-2009, 08:06 PM
yeah, i agree, give your car a full service, and ,actually see if thermostat is opening, bottom hose should be cold when running for a few minutes, and should be hot once thermostat opens and fans kick in. i wouldnt reccomend you chancing sensors due to fuel comsuption, check for codes, and take it from there....

yeah the thermo is not opening properly,

the temp would sometimes take forever to go up and sometimes would drop lower while driving,

also the fan isn't spinning... got any advice for that?

teh_mechanic
09-09-2009, 08:24 PM
yeah the thermo is not opening properly,

the temp would sometimes take forever to go up and sometimes would drop lower while driving,

also the fan isn't spinning... got any advice for that?

you cant really be sure of that. did you take the thermostat out and look at it.
it should normally be closed, then when the engine gets close to its optimal temperature the wax in the thermostat softens (from the temperature) and opens up the thermostats valve, allowing water to flow through the rest of the system and radiator. If the water then gets to cold compared to the optimal temperature the wax in the thermostat hardens and closes the valve, allowing the engine/water to heat up again. And so this process keeps going.

Main problem is the thermostat getting stuck open, allowing water to flow continuously, making the engine run cold and subsequently too rich on fuel, using more fuel.

Easiest way to tell if thermostat is stuck open in most cars is take radiator cap off, start the car when it is dead cold, see if the water in the top of the radiator is flowing, if yes, then the thermostat is open when it shouldnt be because the engine is cold. if not flowing, then thermostat is closed, all good.

other way is to take it out. It should be closed. Boil some water, use tongs to put thermostat in the boiling water and it should open. functioning properly.

And as for the fans, they only run when the engine is getting quite hot, and only for a fairly short period of time. Its not like old days where the fan is belt driven, these are electric fans.

dougie_504
09-09-2009, 09:41 PM
Like I said earlier, just change the thermostat anyway, she'll be right...