PDA

View Full Version : 1st Major service and 3 weeks out of warranty

sirdistik
06-09-2009, 01:28 PM
Just got my 40,000km service done, the first major service. It was supposed to be $588 inc brake fluid change but ended up forking out $750.40 because they said I needed to clean my throttle body, change wipers and send an anti-bacterial bomb through the a/c ?? now my car stinks of that stuff, stings my nose when i breathe.

anyways, the real sting was finding out that one of the valves (4th lobe) were scraping the camshaft ??? ( I can't quite remember what the dude said) and i'm out of warranty by 3 weeks!! it'll be about $1500 to fix (not including labor if i remember correctly). Damn, i'm pissed. i was meant to get it serviced last month but had work commitments and couldn't make it.

service consultant said that it can be caused by dirt in the oil..? and for all i know, only their techs service the car! and I NEVER thrash my car. i've never redlined it either.

well, he said he'll try and see if Honda Aust. will fix it out of good will and then asked if i'm willing to purchase the extended warranty (approx $700).. **** yeh.. better than forking out $1500++
Problem is that I've been going by the Kms as to when to service it rather than the months.. looks like they can use that against me and not cover it.

my only concern is what's going to break when the extended warranty runs out??!!

My advice for anyone else who's warranty is expiring, is to get their major service done before Or purchase the damn extended warranty.

PS: They did say they took $100 off the total bill as a good will gesture (or out of guilt)

sirdistik
07-09-2009, 12:16 PM
Anyways, Just wanted to see if anyone has had any similar problems? Or if you guys think it's still safe to drive. the consultant said that it's OK as long as I don't thrash it. What do you guys reckon?

Also, where do you guys buy your replacement wipers? it cost me about $50 from Honda! EXCLUDING labor

sirdistik
07-09-2009, 01:31 PM
Update: Honda Australia has agreed to replace the cams(shafts) for free under good will. It will take approximately 3 weeks for parts to arrive in from Japan. Yay! :wave:

But it looks like I'll be purchasing the extended warranty anyways. I guess it's better safe than sorry. :zip:

Nepolian
07-09-2009, 05:48 PM
I'm glad its worked out for you!

jcroker1
07-09-2009, 07:49 PM
wiper replacment sounds about right. Charged me $44 for genuine blades at 30K service recently.

sirdistik
07-09-2009, 08:24 PM
i'm sure there are some aftermarket ones around.. maybe ebay? I remember buying my pollen filter online and it was $14.00, Honda wanted $70.00

anyone been told that their throttle body has too much carbon build up and needs cleaning? $90.00!!

tony1234
08-09-2009, 07:56 AM
i'm sure there are some aftermarket ones around.. maybe ebay? I remember buying my pollen filter online and it was $14.00, Honda wanted $70.00

anyone been told that their throttle body has too much carbon build up and needs cleaning? $90.00!!
Where did you get your pollen filter from?$14 is cheap.Carbon buildup on the throttle body sounds like crap to me.

sirdistik
08-09-2009, 10:44 AM
I'll have to look back at where I bought it from. I got the link on these forums somewhere, i'll post it up when i find out.

Apparently carbon build up in the throttle body can be a problem when you've done a lot of Kms. I've only done 40,000kms but they reckon i had a lot?! A quick google search shows that it should be done every 40,000kms or so. I don't know whether they were just making a quick grab for $$ cos I didn't experience any idling problems and it feels and sounds exactly the same before and after.

Nepolian
10-09-2009, 07:02 PM
^^^ wtf? ^^^

sirdistik
10-09-2009, 10:06 PM
Did Jackson have warranty issues too?

Euro08Jaz
10-09-2009, 11:25 PM
Spam, i wouldnt click the links.

sirdistik
11-09-2009, 01:55 AM
Where did you get your pollen filter from?$14 is cheap.Carbon buildup on the throttle body sounds like crap to me.
Tony,
Filter was from: www.eziautoparts.com.au

tony1234
11-09-2009, 06:18 PM
Tony,
Filter was from: www.eziautoparts.com.au
Thanks.