PDA

View Full Version : Should have gone with the Accord

anonymousmoose
07-09-2009, 10:32 AM
About 10 months ago it was time to buy the next car. The aim was to upgrade from my Holden VX executive to something nicer. Leather interior and climate control was a must. I test drove many cars. It was between an 08 Accord and a 2003 Holden WK Caprice (top of the range). The Accord was about $40k and the Caprice $25,000 (but market price about $30k), we got a good deal... at least I thought so.

The Caprice is giving me grief. First it developed a stirring shake at Freeway speeds. Now the steering is shuddering when breaking. The've tried and tried to fix it. Last weekend the factory sat nav died and the week before the central locking on one of the doors went. The car also thinks there is an incoming call each time I switch it off but no phone connector is connected!!!

Anyways, now that I've introduced myself... :wave: Hello for WA

I'm thining I should have gone the extra money and bought the Honda. My wife didnt want to spend the extra dollars but now wishing we had also.

I'm considering (need to think about this long and hard) of breaking the lease and trading to the Accord VTI-L. Only thing is going from a V8 to a 4-cylinder could be kinda daunting. I'm by no means a lead foot but like to have a bit of power when overtaking.

That leads to my first questions; does anyone know the 0-100kmh seconds for the VTI-L? Cant find it on Honda.com.au or Redbook.com.au :confused:
Its been so long that I test drove the VTI-L. What do the all the 4 Cylinder accords owners think... underpowered? Just right? Good for a 4-cylinder?

shadou
07-09-2009, 10:37 AM
oh but you can get the v6 variant instead and that'll satisfy you're torque requirements for a road use, try looking at the 04 model instead.

anonymousmoose
07-09-2009, 10:39 AM
oh but you can get the v6 variant instead and that'll satisfy you're torque requirements for a road use, try looking at the 04 model instead.

Not keen on the 04 shape. Plus if I do trade in the Caprice early, I want a brand new or Demo car. No more pre-owned. Thanks for the reply! :)

Shpox
07-09-2009, 11:01 AM
I come from a commodore family. Dad drives a VS, owned a VXII, now we have a VY Supercharged Calais and a Berlina.

I'm the first to have an 08 iVtec Accord. The four is definitely underpowered for what I'm use too and I tend to dislike it. A 133kw engine simply isn't enough for a car that size. Went up to the coast yesterday, 5 people in the car and gear, it didn't cope very well, especially up hills. When I'm by myself, it's fine for me as a student. It shares the size of the commodore but quality of a Honda. (Longer and roomier than the VY)

This all being said, the quality of the plastics and general interior is second to none when compared to our Holden's. If I was to get the accord, get the V6. The 4 cylinder initially pulls well down low, but struggles till it gets to a reasonably speed up high. This is one my only faults with the car. I can't fault it any other way.

Why begs the question, why I opted for the 4. I opted for the 40th Anniversary edition because I managed to get an 8 Year warranty (5 year factory, 3 year dealer), 5 year road side assist, reverse parking sensors etc... for 33,000 driveway. As a student, fuel isn't going to get cheaper either. I also didn't have the extra money for a 6 upfront. :p

The 08 plated stuff is lingering around dealerships so make sure do have a decent haggle if you're buying.

In your case, definitely opt for the 6. Haven't driven a V8, but coming from a 6, I didn't like it. Hope this helps.

anonymousmoose
07-09-2009, 11:56 AM
In your case, definitely opt for the 6. Haven't driven a V8, but coming from a 6, I didn't like it. Hope this helps.

Thing is the V6 Luxury would defiantly be out of my budget. But I loooove leather interior. Guess if I do get a Honda, I need to decide between power vs. luxury.

Shpox
07-09-2009, 12:03 PM
Thing is the V6 Luxury would defiantly be out of my budget. But I loooove leather interior. Guess if I do get a Honda, I need to decide between power vs. luxury.

You could go for the same verison I got. 40th anniversary + the leather. Depends if that will be enough to satisfy you :p

It is very much a power vs. luxury (quality) thing.

Not so much a case with the G6ET, which I guess has the best of both worlds :p

anonymousmoose
07-09-2009, 12:11 PM
You could go for the same verison I got. 40th anniversary + the leather. Depends if that will be enough to satisfy you :p

Cant see any Anniversary Edition on the website. Also none on WA Carsales site.

ximo
07-09-2009, 02:26 PM
I recently bought a 09' VTi-L, and I traded in my lovely 04 RX-8, although I havent had much experience driving V6 or 8s, I tend to find the VTi-L slightly underpowered at times (when carrying a car full of people or going up a hill etc). However, on normal roads its fine, it definitely has the power to overtake as the engine is very responsive.

Go for it if thats the car you like, some people complained about the seats with the lumbar rest being uncomfortable, but if you or other drivers is taller than 150cm, i guess it should be fine, less you will have to get a cushion.

The VTi-L also comes with auto-headlights and auto rain-sensing whippers which comes handy at times.

anonymousmoose
07-09-2009, 02:29 PM
Also, just checked with the fiance company. My car gonna cost over 3k more to payout (with interest penalties) if I sell now. With depreciation its not worth it.

Rice_4_life
07-09-2009, 02:46 PM
but how well does your commodore/executive retain value in the long run? will it be cheaper to payout now and sell asap or wait ?
I have no experience with Holden's but it seems they lose a lot of value unless it was a SSS or clubsport variant which I would like to own =p

anonymousmoose
07-09-2009, 03:05 PM
but how well does your commodore/executive retain value in the long run? will it be cheaper to payout now and sell asap or wait ?
I'll do some calcs with my [accountant] wife tonight maybe we can work something out. Other thing is my wife is still on L (24 years old :o) so when she gets her license, she cant drive the V8 anyways due to new laws. So instead of buying her a car, it may be less expensive to get the accord then buy two. We really only need one car as one of us catches public transport to work.

I have no experience with Holden's but it seems they lose a lot of value unless it was a SSS or clubsport variant which I would like to own =p

Let me put it this way. I got the most expensive Holden for its time. Previous owner paid over $75k. I got it 5 years old for $25k. So they dont hold their value much. If I got $25k for it again I'd probably sell it but trade in value says under $20k on redbook. But privately they are still selling around $25k

Rice_4_life
07-09-2009, 03:09 PM
ouch major decrease. Well I still would like to own a clubsport regardless, love the sound of them.

Well in regards to it being a 4 cylinder, you'll adapt like everything else in life.
hope everything goes well.

anonymousmoose
07-09-2009, 03:11 PM
ouch major decrease. Well I still would like to own a clubsport regardless, love the sound of them.

Ja, I'm glad I wasnt the one who paid $75k for it ;)

Shpox
07-09-2009, 06:55 PM
Best thing to do mate is go for a solid long test drive. Bring a few people along too. If you can cope with four people in that car, going up a hill, you're day to day drive is going to be a dream.

anonymousmoose
07-09-2009, 10:47 PM
Spoke to the dealer today to get a trade in value for my car. Unfortunately the receptionist got the same guy I test drove with last year when I was looking and decided against the Honda. I'll see what trade in value I can get for the Caprice. I dont think he took me seriously as he knows I've only had the Caprice for a year. I am interested in getting the Accord but it all depends on the trade in value of my car.

Shpox
07-09-2009, 11:26 PM
Only tips I can give you for that take it to a number of dealerships without mention that you're buying, in which case they might up the value on your and the driveaway price.

Poor Holden's depreciate badly but at least you didn't get the first hit. Great second hand value.

anonymousmoose
08-09-2009, 10:05 AM
Only tips I can give you for that take it to a number of dealerships without mention that you're buying, in which case they might up the value on your and the driveaway price.

Poor Holden's depreciate badly but at least you didn't get the first hit. Great second hand value.

Problem is there are only 2 Honda dealerships in Perth [I know of]

Rudy
08-09-2009, 11:17 AM
Does it have to be honda?... the new nissan maxima v6 comes better equipt, at 38 k it has leather seats standard (on all base models).

anonymousmoose
08-09-2009, 11:20 AM
Does it have to be honda?... the new nissan maxima v6 comes better equipt, at 38 k it has leather seats standard (on all base models).

Good point... I will look at options. Not a big fan of the maxima. My wife likes the VW Gold Comfortline.

anonymousmoose
08-09-2009, 11:31 AM
Just got word that the Caprice is worth $16,000 as a trade in :eek: They are going around between $25k to $30k at dealers. $16,000 for something that cost the original owner (not me thank god) $75,000 5 years ago.

I might list her private. See what happens.

Rudy
08-09-2009, 11:40 AM
Good point... I will look at options. Not a big fan of the maxima. My wife likes the VW Gold Comfortline.

Fair enough, Im not big on the maxima design either. Just putting some options out there.

another... new Skoda octavia RS sedan...

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=65154

http://www.caradvice.com.au/39106/skoda-octavia-rs-first-steer/

Shpox
08-09-2009, 04:34 PM
Just got word that the Caprice is worth $16,000 as a trade in :eek: They are going around between $25k to $30k at dealers. $16,000 for something that cost the original owner (not me thank god) $75,000 5 years ago.

I might list her private. See what happens.

Private it indefinitely. 16K is not surprising from a dealer.

JohnL
10-09-2009, 06:28 PM
First it developed a stirring shake at Freeway speeds. Now the steering is shuddering when breaking. The've tried and tried to fix it.

I've heard that later model Commodores (and variants) have very soft bushes at the front end of the radius rods in the front suspension. The symptoms you describe could concievably be due to undamped vibration in these bushes...?

I really can't say for sure whether this is the cause of your car's vibration problem, but it might be worthwhile replacing the rubber radius rod bushes for polyurethane items, and see what happens....?

anonymousmoose
11-09-2009, 10:04 AM
I've heard that later model Commodores (and variants) have very soft bushes at the front end of the radius rods in the front suspension. The symptoms you describe could concievably be due to undamped vibration in these bushes...?

I really can't say for sure whether this is the cause of your car's vibration problem, but it might be worthwhile replacing the rubber radius rod bushes for polyurethane items, and see what happens....?

Cheers mate. I got this done last week. Replaced the castor bushes (I hope thats the same thing you are talking about).

JohnL
11-09-2009, 12:30 PM
Cheers mate. I got this done last week. Replaced the........

Any change...?

.........castor bushes (I hope thats the same thing you are talking about).

Probably. I mean the two largeish bush rubbers (shaped more or less like domed cones) fitted at / over the most forward end of each radius rod (i.e. two bushes per radius rod, flexibly mounting the rods to the subframe and responsible for longitudinal location / stability of the front wheels).

anonymousmoose
11-09-2009, 01:38 PM
Any change...?

Probably. I mean the two largeish bush rubbers (shaped more or less like domed cones) fitted at / over the most forward end of each radius rod (i.e. two bushes per radius rod, flexibly mounting the rods to the subframe and responsible for longitudinal location / stability of the front wheels).

Ya, it didn't make a difference to the shake but it improved the steering a bit.