PDA

View Full Version : exhaust question

MWAKU
07-09-2009, 05:58 PM
im looking to buy a muffler but its off a car which the importer doesn't know. now i don't want to weld the exhaust onto my stock pipe, but i want to get it modified so i can bolt it on and off, and if i want to, go back to my stock muffler.

now my question is what if the muffler is somehow totally different and doesn't fit and doesn't allign up with the piping, can any reputable exhaust shop make it fit, and whats kind of price am i looking at

SHU-ES1
07-09-2009, 06:59 PM
i think you're looking to create an axle-back flanged muffler, that you can interchange with another muffler (probably your standard one). if you go to any exhaust centre, they'll have a look at the dimensions of the muffler and determine whether it will be able to fit without too much modification, or won't fit at all because of the size and shape. if it does fit, most places will do the job for around $50-$100 depending on the steel -whether it is mild steel, stainless or polished stainless - and size of the piping, as well as the flange type. i hope this helps! good luck with the muffler.

MWAKU
07-09-2009, 07:02 PM
yeah the thing is i can't return the muffler if it doesn't fit :( so im worried a bout purchasing it (his from another state)

TheSaint
07-09-2009, 07:21 PM
can you get some measurements from the seller?

MWAKU
07-09-2009, 09:55 PM
what should i ask him to measure?

DC5.Raven
07-09-2009, 10:04 PM
Well if you buy an axle back and it doesnt fit then take it to an exhaust shop.
They'll cut the muffler off from the piping and will have to customise new piping
to fit onto car. Emphasise that you want him to create a new bolt-on axleback and not to chop stock/existing axleback.

If you're only buying a muffler then take it to the exhaust shop and get them to customise piping as above.

There will be no point asking about measurements for an axleback (muffler and piping) to see whether it'll fit your car, unless its the same car.
The piping of an exhaust has to clear many things (eg sway bars) and be a certain angles in someplaces etc etc.

Good luck btw.