PDA

View Full Version : wastegate actuator vac line

MacDiZZle
07-09-2009, 11:06 PM
just a question about the waste gate actuator... i dont have a hose fitting on the compressor housing so can i run the vac line to the manifold? what did you guys do?

fat_85_civic
08-09-2009, 12:34 AM
yes, i run mine from the intake manifold, it is the best way to do it i think as it will be the pressure your engine is seeing, not the pressure before all the losses like the intercooler and piping, so boost should stay more constant and not fall away.

B16
08-09-2009, 08:53 AM
Horses for course really.

I wanted a the lowest possible boost level, so took the source point from the Turbo>Intercooler pipework. I had to get a fitting tapped in to the pipe.
So with a 8psi actuator, you'll see about 6psi in the manifold (well I do at least), the drop in pressure is due to the pipe diameter, number of bends and intercooler. You've seen my dyno sheets, and I have very steady boost pressure with this setup, and the fact it tapers a bit at the top end is just due to the turbo, not the boost source.

so boost should stay more constant and not fall away.
So I'd dispute this a little.

I would however highly recommend at least a manual boost controller if not an EBC (electronic boost controller) as before I had my GFB bleed valve, my boost reading on the dyno was all over the place. This is because the internal gate has a hard time of keeping a steady boost level. With the GFB it's as smooth as glass. I'd be happy to post back up both so you can see.

If you take your source point from closer or on the throttle body, the wastegate will only be open fully when the manifold (or source point) is seeing 8 psi (or whatever actuator pressure you have), and therefore the turbo will be putting out more than 8 (probably around 10) again because of the drop in pressure across the system.

Nothing right or wrong about either, and I'll probably go back to a manifold source when I redo my pipework.

B16
08-09-2009, 09:02 AM
Here you go, first one was just the internal gate, sourced from a shared vac/boost line on the intake manifold:
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee149/angelfire4130/Turbo%20Build/EnvyDynopsi.jpg

Here is the dyno with the gfb bleed valve in:
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee149/angelfire4130/Turbo%20Build/scan0005.jpg

Well worth the $80 IMO.

MacDiZZle
08-09-2009, 09:28 AM
yer i think i have the same one... its a gfb too

FastFwd
10-09-2009, 02:49 PM
I got a fitting welded onto the side of my intercooler piping around 15cm's away from the Intake manifold. you will get the most actuate read there.

Lukezen27
12-09-2009, 08:08 PM
I got a fitting welded onto the side of my intercooler piping around 15cm's away from the Intake manifold. you will get the most actuate read there.

100% :thumbsup:

That's how I did mine