View Full Version : PWR Radiators

A-man
07-09-2009, 11:26 PM
hi

ive done a little searching around

and i cant seem to find anything on pwr products on ozhonda anyways

what im chasing is information on the radiator caps to suit
these aren't normal caps

i currently have a eg half size rad. and ive also had this problem with a pwr rad on a supra to

the cap i had was to small the civic one wouldnt fit and now i have an ef civic cap on..

however it wont recover still. from my searching around ive been told late model rx7 caps will fit. or late model camry caps fit (v6)

can anyone shed some light on to help out. all the rad caps for pwr products are universal they run there own type.

SHOGUNOVDDRK
07-09-2009, 11:29 PM
Contact eg5civic on here.

jesmine0
08-09-2009, 12:41 AM
pretty sure u can get them from local Repco. they are one of the supplier for PWR

mr180sx
08-09-2009, 09:25 AM
ive got a PWR radiator too, i just went to 999 automotive and bought a buddyclub cap.

I think theres a couple of size caps, i think its type A or B, and as stated above you could go to supercheap or repco to get one.

A-man
08-09-2009, 12:37 PM
so u guys dont have probs with recoving coolant? or pressure dropping

mr180sx
08-09-2009, 12:42 PM
nope, no probs here

destrukshn
08-09-2009, 09:17 PM
i''m running a pwr cap.
call pwr in qld
and request a cap for your radiator.
it would be stant rad cap.

Slaz
08-09-2009, 09:57 PM
so u guys dont have probs with recoving coolant? or pressure dropping

Yep ive had problems and ive replaced the cap as well, ill be cutting the filler neck off it shortly and using a complete new neck and cap of another make on it, maybe you should consider the same.

What i think might happen is someone gets to excited welding the filler neck on and the neck gets abit warped so it doesnt seal properly, you think it wouldnt be the case as they would be pressure tested before being shipped out and the Stant cap is a good item, but it seems to be an ever increasing problem that pops up with them.

I'll never buy another PWR again, i know that much.

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

eg5civic
08-09-2009, 11:16 PM
I work for pwr myself and have a pwr radiator

I used the standard EG5 civic radiator cap with no problems

I had a problem with "recoving" coolant as you call it.. i just had to tighten the little overflow hosebarb up a bit and have had no further problems since

The caps we distribute with our radiators (pressure release caps, with he little release valve) fouled on my bonnet so i didnt bother with it

Slaz its interesting to hear that your going to cut up a PWR radiator to put a new filler on

Slaz
09-09-2009, 05:12 PM
Yep, i contacted them or you twice, 1st time as the radiator cap shite itself within about 2 months and it wouldnt hold pressure nor recovered that well, and they happily sent one out, all be it the wrong 1 first time, then it failed shortly after that causing a motor of mine to fail that i couldnt catch quick enough although there were other factors involved, when i contacted them about that, they never replied to my emails nor would call me back after wanting to discuss it with them.

I run silicone hose for recovery so it was sealed up, though i did check that.

Especially in the states, ive seen alot of PWR units with new necks and caps fitted to them, though they arnt as sought after any more as locally and asian made half rads are very common now and much more affordable then them.

Heck, i imported one of their units for 1/2 of what they or any supplier here would sell me one for.

If you work there, do you know their testing procedure once they are built?

destrukshn
09-09-2009, 05:22 PM
i've had a few problems where coolant was leaking through the stant caps, twice actually, and now the third time, it's been good and hasn't been leaking through.
other than that, no other problems.
PWR over the U.S is a lot cheaper than here.

eg5civic
10-09-2009, 05:11 PM
Yep, i contacted them or you twice, 1st time as the radiator cap shite itself within about 2 months and it wouldnt hold pressure nor recovered that well, and they happily sent one out, all be it the wrong 1 first time, then it failed shortly after that causing a motor of mine to fail that i couldnt catch quick enough although there were other factors involved, when i contacted them about that, they never replied to my emails nor would call me back after wanting to discuss it with them.

I run silicone hose for recovery so it was sealed up, though i did check that.

Especially in the states, ive seen alot of PWR units with new necks and caps fitted to them, though they arnt as sought after any more as locally and asian made half rads are very common now and much more affordable then them.

Heck, i imported one of their units for 1/2 of what they or any supplier here would sell me one for.

If you work there, do you know their testing procedure once they are built?

As i said i havent had a problem with mine, never lose coolant, and my coolant reservoir is always full after checking the tightness of that barb

I'm sorry to hear that you had a motor fail due to our caps.. but as i said, i know for a fact those caps are shit and i would never ever recommend them to anyone.. but as for our radiators they are of high quality

I dont know how they are cheaper in the US when they are manufactured here, but thats not my issue, i'm a fitter and turning apprentice

as for testing, i have worked throughout the factory, when they come out of the furnace, the header plate to tube seal is checked by light, then they are sealed by test plates and pressurised and dropped into water to check for leaks from tubes ect.
They are then sent to welding, welders weld tanks ect on, everything is sealed (bungs, caps put on,) and repressurised, and dropped into water again to check for leaks from any welds

i've had a few problems where coolant was leaking through the stant caps, twice actually, and now the third time, it's been good and hasn't been leaking through.
other than that, no other problems.
PWR over the U.S is a lot cheaper than here.

How long ago were these radiators purchased cause alot has changed, service is alot better than what it used to be, i've been at the company for near 2 years and since the start of this year, alot of changes have been made

Sorry for any bad experiences you've had with our product

A-man
10-09-2009, 06:07 PM
so the PWR guy himself is saying not to use the stant cap?

and to use a OEM eg civic one?

im unfortunatly in the same boat im not impressed with pwr rads. i try to surport aussie products but for some reason all aussie products seem to make things way to complicated, by changing something or in this case having there own rad cap.

and i agree with the quality its definatly there theres nothing wrong with them, however again the asains are making them significant cheaper...

i now have a heavily modified engine that does produce ALOT of heat, ive upgraded the radiator 3 times to accomodate for the engine, but i notice alot about my engine and always watch the engines temps etc. and i dont want to risk the overheating of an engine either...

its always unfortunate when an engine fails

Slaz
11-09-2009, 12:04 AM
As i said i havent had a problem with mine, never lose coolant, and my coolant reservoir is always full after checking the tightness of that barb

I'm sorry to hear that you had a motor fail due to our caps.. but as i said, i know for a fact those caps are shit and i would never ever recommend them to anyone.. but as for our radiators they are of high quality

I dont know how they are cheaper in the US when they are manufactured here, but thats not my issue, i'm a fitter and turning apprentice

as for testing, i have worked throughout the factory, when they come out of the furnace, the header plate to tube seal is checked by light, then they are sealed by test plates and pressurised and dropped into water to check for leaks from tubes ect.
They are then sent to welding, welders weld tanks ect on, everything is sealed (bungs, caps put on,) and repressurised, and dropped into water again to check for leaks from any welds

How long ago were these radiators purchased cause alot has changed, service is alot better than what it used to be, i've been at the company for near 2 years and since the start of this year, alot of changes have been made

Sorry for any bad experiences you've had with our product

The rads themselves are good but the stant cap does let them down and seems is known to them so you think they would address, so the radiator cap is installed and the rad pressure tested under water is it, this test should eliminate the possiblity of the filler neck warping during welding but as you can see just here, the problem rate is up there, also the spring/cam lever system on the stant shits itself as the plastic relief valve gets brittle over time but it in its seated position is what insures the cap base has the full force of the spring behind it.

Probably cheaper in the states due to their buy rate, but when you present PWR with a link for the prices they can be had for and your trying to do the right thing and support an Australian business you think they would come to the party, not the case, hence people just buy an overseas built unit for half the price, instead of competing when im sure they could, they will eventually do themselves out of business or not make the products that they cant compete with.

So when i get my car back together ill be using a new filler neck that accepts a common Jap rad cap such as OEM Honda, Greddy, trust make good aftermarket versions of, also the pressures that the stants run are abit higher then OEM suggest.

But yes, nothing worse then having temps with a decent motor that your worried about all the time or if the cap/rad is working as it should.

eg5civic
11-09-2009, 03:46 PM
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q303/DoriS15_Drifta/IMAGE_036.jpg

Pics that OEM honda cap works

And neither of you commented on when these radiators were bought... i've had mine a good 6 months and have had no problems with it.

As i said i am not someone to complain to, merely a worker (and an apprentice at that), i'm just trying o solve the original problem that OP posted.
I will raise the issue at work that people have had problems with the stant caps

is this the said cap that is failing??
http://www.stant.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=204&location_id=179

As i said mine didnt fit under the bonnet (fouled on it) so i took it off, but pressure release is a "luxury" imo,, and unnecessary. Spoon ect all make usual rad caps

tinkerbell
15-09-2009, 08:11 PM
hmmmm, interesting...

this might explain the constant coolant smell i have from my car...

i run a PWR bought from the states, over 3 years ago - never a problem with it and it loves circuit racing...

i will just get a repco cap eh? see if my smell goes away!

(BTW - the red pressure relief valve thingy broke within a month or two, but thought this was no issue...)

A-man
15-09-2009, 11:55 PM
yeh i get the same smell i hate it....

ill try the same thing a cap from repco or similar

you wouldnt have the same part number i can match one up... otherwise its a guessing game

Project R
16-09-2009, 10:10 PM
im using the stant cap with no problems... only issue is that its rubbing against my bonnet...

what other cap can fit onto the pwr radiators???

eg5civic
18-09-2009, 04:15 PM
hmmmm, interesting...

this might explain the constant coolant smell i have from my car...

i run a PWR bought from the states, over 3 years ago - never a problem with it and it loves circuit racing...

i will just get a repco cap eh? see if my smell goes away!

(BTW - the red pressure relief valve thingy broke within a month or two, but thought this was no issue...)

Yes it very well could
But yes, everyone at work says not to use stant caps,
And yeah you could try a repco cap but as i said i just run oem honda cap.. i'll take a closer photo to make sure it isnt aftermarket

And yeah when i closed the bonnet on the stant cap it hit the pressure release tab, and put a white mark on it where it stressed it.
I can see that it would snap as someone else stated...

As said before i wouldnt trust the stant pressure release.. its just got a little hole on that tab and if the radiator is hot it still squirts water up through the hole, hence why i say its useless

good to hear someones had good experiences with PWR

Alexx
18-09-2009, 04:26 PM
Why cant companies get clearance right? Koyo hits the bonnet on my EG and i had to cut the webbing, same with several other EGs here in brisbane, and it seems pwr does too. Surely its a basic thing to get right.... For the money you pay you expect it to fit.

A-man
18-09-2009, 06:49 PM
i got the eg rad in my da9... i dont have any probs... maybe ur cars have been in accidents and the rad surports r bent

eg5civic
19-09-2009, 09:04 AM
i got the eg rad in my da9... i dont have any probs... maybe ur cars have been in accidents and the rad surports r bent

actually mine has been in a minor, but the rad supports slightly bent down not up..

As alex said you'd expect them to fit no problems but we used to ship hundreds of them to the states at a time, so i"d assume they werent having problems