PDA

View Full Version : Who has fog lights (RB1 Ody)?

Qld_ODC
08-09-2009, 09:01 PM
Looks like we are going to be doing even more driving (glad I have this car on a novated lease)....but this will also mean more night driving and after going between two hopping kangaroos at 130km/h on the last (daylight) trip to Rocky :eek: I'm going to be looking for more lights upfront.

So who has the OE fog lights and how much light do they put out?

Also, considering mounting a UniBar and putting something like the Hella Micro DE XGD on it.

BTW What's the alternator capacity on this car?? :confused:

evolution
08-09-2009, 10:14 PM
I have the JDM fog lights which I think bascially is the same as the OE one except the lens is blue in colour. It doesn't seem to help much in normal night driving, haven't had a chance to try them out in fog.
What I did find useful was a HID conversion on the low beams, makes a whole heap of difference at night. But a warning, HIDs don't penetrate heavy rain as well as normal yellow halogens because of the colour of the beam, plus if you go too high on the ks (10,000k, 12,000k etc) they actually don't work as well, the norm is around 4,300k or 6,000k
OE foggies are expensive. I think I was quoted $900+ for fog lights, fog light covers, the indicator stalk plus install from dealer. In the end I got mine overseas and installed them myself. Maybe I installed them at the wrong angle that's why I can't see any diff :)

AusAccord
09-09-2009, 09:00 AM
as Evo advised, not much help on OEM foggies esp purpose to avoid hopping kangaroos at daylight. oem foggies tends to split the light on both side (i aimed a bit high) which is even worst when kangaroos saw the light then jumping out to the road, with 130 km/h not much u can do........

would suggest u change to HID with 4300k first and see if u are happy abt that. if not, u may have to change the reflecting lens in the headlight in order to alter the focus on the light beam. lots of odyssey owners in China did that but its a big job mate.

any bull bars with hella lights will ruin the RB1's beauty curvature (just my point of view) and not sure the alternator capacity, sorry.

H_T_J_A
09-09-2009, 05:55 PM
I got my HID at 6000K, and seen to work really well for me as i go up and down the mt between Canberra and Bateman Bay alot at night in pitch black condition

Qld_ODC
09-09-2009, 09:37 PM
Thanks guys - yeah $900 for OE foggies is a bit much for sure. :eek:

I was going to aim the foggies out more to the sides see the ones on the side of the road and use the spot lights for down the road.

Agree on the impact on looks - but the UniBar is a small aluminium tube that mounts behind the number plate and the Hella Micro are only 90x70mm...and I figure hitting a roo would make the Ody look worse :)

Alternator wont matter - the XGD only consume 35W

Will look into the HIDs though.

evolution
09-09-2009, 09:53 PM
Foggies only go up or down, if I remember correctly, they can't be adjusted outwards

Mobil1
09-06-2011, 06:49 PM
I'm hoping someone here can help with my foglamps. I recently replaced them and they were working fine for about two use and then they just wouldnt turn on again. I tried the bulbs on the lowbeam socket and can confirm the bulbs are still in working condition. I wouldnt think it would be the harness connetion because I did not meddle with anything. Has anyone had this problem before? Is it some kinda fuse problem?

WHne i turn the fog lights on, the indicator light onthe dash comes on, but there is no light output.

AusAccord
09-06-2011, 07:05 PM
^^ have you checked the fuse box under the bonnet? not sure which one relates to foggies but definitely wired from the box. thats why no wiring thru the firewall if using OEM harness and foggies

Mobil1
09-06-2011, 10:26 PM
I think I found the problem. Do you know what's causing the fuse to burn? or is it just normal wear? If I put a new one in, will it fix the problem permanently or it will blow again soon?

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/9595/img00219201106091915.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/593/img00219201106091915.jpg/)

evolution
10-06-2011, 12:29 AM
Sounds like something is not wired correctly, fuses usually don't blow unless there is a fault in the wiring. My illuminated door sills were also causing the interior light fuse to blow due to some wiring issues. So I suggest re looking at your wiring or else you might end up spending more money on fuses.

AusAccord
10-06-2011, 08:31 AM
^^ totally agreed. Incorrect wiring/faulty insulation on wires/whatever increase on current caused short circuit blew the fuse. May better check thru other you will be replacing that fuse every week.

Mobil1
11-06-2011, 05:11 PM
hmmm thanks bro. Since the foglights were working fine all along on the old bulbs, does that mean it could be a faulty new bulb i have?

AusAccord
11-06-2011, 05:36 PM
oh, works with no problems before you change to new bulb?!?! most like its the faulty new bulbs then

evolution
11-06-2011, 05:59 PM
Hmmm could be. I forget is your set an OEM one? Maybe using wrong bulb? Supposed to be H11, same as headlight, or the connector on the bulb got problem?

Mobil1
12-06-2011, 11:10 AM
well the first set of bulbs were some real cheap china ones (~$10 per pair) and they burnt out after 6months. I then got a new MTEC golden ion color ones.

When I was putting the bulb into the lamp housing, I had a hard time turning the bulb to lock into position (spent like an hour). Could've probably messed up the wiring connector to the socket for the bulb? I think I'll just try and get a new fuse and see how it goes and if it blows again, get honda to look into it when I go for the 50K service. At 47K now and its taking forever to get to the 50K LOL.