PDA

View Full Version : Curious (differences)

slimx
08-09-2009, 10:44 PM
Hey guys im just curious what is the ACTUAL EXACT Difference between SUPERCHARGER and TURBO.

What would u say is better, what is the TEchnical differences, what is more efficient etc..

fat_85_civic
08-09-2009, 11:43 PM
have a loof on howstuffworks it should give you a good idea of the differences

Limbo
09-09-2009, 12:00 AM
generally turbo chargers run off exhaust gases & supercharges run off pullies.

Supercharges make power early, right off idle

Turbos make power later in the rev range.

Turbos generally more efficient, supercharges are more parasitic on the engine

myztery
09-09-2009, 12:17 AM
to my understanding you loose 30hp on a supercharger trying to make power cos it runs using the motor

slimx
09-09-2009, 01:03 AM
I've actually seen a SUPERCHARGEr on the EXHAUST of a BMW?? any1 got info about that??

And well i guess Turbo would be a more efficient idea for racing then yeH?? a supercharger just seems like everyday, good to have..?

Bludger
10-09-2009, 01:13 PM
guys, don't let this user bring you down to his level.

FastFwd
10-09-2009, 02:52 PM
to my understanding you loose 30hp on a supercharger trying to make power cos it runs using the motor

could also say that about a turbo also because exhaust gasses get blocked having to work hard to push the turbo. both turbo and supercharger take a little and gives back heaps. Only mods you will get that wont do that are all NA.

slimx
10-09-2009, 03:35 PM
guys, don't let this user bring you down to his level.

huh??????????

Webby_roller
10-09-2009, 06:02 PM
I've actually seen a SUPERCHARGEr on the EXHAUST of a BMW?? any1 got info about that??

And well i guess Turbo would be a more efficient idea for racing then yeH?? a supercharger just seems like everyday, good to have..?

I may have a clue....

The fact is that if you are saying that you saw what looked like a supercharger on the exsuast.... then considering that both turbos and superchargers are just airpumps (to a certain degree) and that from some research it was shown that old scool rx7's utilized airpumps on there exhaust to blow air through the exhaust to dilute the exhuast gases to allow them to pass emissions restrictions for sale in australia...

could be a similar device.. or maybe some people are just crazy....

FastFwd
10-09-2009, 06:09 PM
hahahah dude i will translate what this guy is trying to say....i think what he means is It was a turbo on the exhaust... Here:

http://www.motorauthority.com/wp-content/uploads/BMW/Tuners/Currency/M5/tt_m502.jpg

Its just a rear mounted turbo setups...common on bmw's in europe. Cant understand why people would like this setup but alot of them do it so something has to be good about it.

slimx
10-09-2009, 06:16 PM
:) im a noob to turbos/superchargers nd shit lol jst tryna understand more guys dnt mean 2b a pain lol

hisoka
10-09-2009, 06:18 PM
wikipedia has all you need bud

lookingforboost
10-09-2009, 06:44 PM
you would lose so much energy in that setup as all heat would have disapated before getting to the turbo kinda crazy i dont think its a good setup but hey you wouldnt get picked on by the police or could have a turbo for your P's lol

slimx
10-09-2009, 06:47 PM
well the 2 guys i did see it on were Red P's lol maybe thats y :P fk
i want it now lol

Bludger
11-09-2009, 01:06 AM
:) im a noob to turbos/superchargers nd shit lol jst tryna understand more guys dnt mean 2b a pain lolyou would be much less of a pain if you:-

1 - researched before posting.
2 - post in the correct section. (this is not a technical thread by any means, n00b section would be very appropriate)
3 - type correctly. (I and others don't mind you asking questions as such, but when you type like so :- tryna, dnt, 2b, any1, its very annoying.)

Bludger
11-09-2009, 01:10 AM
in ~sp33~'sthread

not bad NOt baddd, i'd say go for some crazy exhaust lyk varex der nicee
lyk?
der?

Bludger
11-09-2009, 01:11 AM
just says to everyone, "hey, I'm unintelligent"

slimx
11-09-2009, 02:01 AM
not intelligent? it was just a recommendation.. u can relax a bit, this ain't a contest mate

and 4 the tlkn lyk dis.. its jst quicker dats all, an 'intelligent' person wouldnt mind reading short words.. lol

oh and
1. did my research didnt understand shit from wikipedia
2. 2 sections suit the thread..

drsilliez
11-09-2009, 11:46 PM
^^I think I'm intelligent and I HATE reading stuff like that. Its like you never went to school and learnt proper English (or some freakin teeny bopper who thinks "it iz kewl 2 typ LyK dis..")

But anways, back on topic. I remember asking myself this questions many years ago. Just search on the internet. There is heaps of information out there. Posting on forums, sometimes just doesn't give you the answer...(like in this case =P)

Like someone already said, howstuffworks, is a very good site that "dumbs" down the information which is easy to read and understand if you dont have a lot of mechanical knowledge/background..

slimx
12-09-2009, 12:16 AM
i am a teen i dnt type like that coz its 'cool' i jst type like that coz its faster..

fk man its lyk .. a committed a crime u guys gota lighten up a lil here

ndeuro_
12-09-2009, 01:02 AM
i bet most guys here that types normally can type faster than you

slimx
12-09-2009, 01:04 AM
ok.. u do that