PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding an EK4, what's involved?

SiR CRX
10-09-2009, 05:41 AM
So i'm seriously considering rebuilding my EK4 because i'm getting sick of all the little things that no longer look new. I want this car to be neat and clean not a show car or any crazy mods but really clean JDM similar to the cars in the US. Here is a basic list of what I want to do:

Strip everything off the car and send the rolling chassis/body off for paint. Bare metal respray and full engine bay respray with all unnecessary holes filled.

New front windscreen due to crack.

New wipers.

New seals where necessary.

New carpet from EK9.

Mildly built engine but fully detailed and clean.

Wire tuck and removal or relocation or certain things such as fuse box, battery etc for a cleaner look.

New OEM hardware throughout engine bay to replace crappy old damaged stuff.

New coilovers.

EK9 sway bars and ASR brace.

16 inch wheels and decent tyres.

Interior trim replaced with used EK9 trim including rear seats.

Brides in the front with rails to suit.

Several OEM bits like window visors, clear side indicators, EK9 tail lights.

New seat belts to replaced frayed belts.

Etc, etc etc....

Now that may seem like a lot but I think it's well within reach if I do things slowly. What I really want to know is what sort of trouble will I run into when taking on a project like this? Are all the OEM parts such as hardware, windscreen and seat belts still available from Honda? Is sound deadening necessary? How hard is it to relocate a battery and fuse box?

I realise this is a big project but I truly love this car and I want it to be as clean as it was when it left the factory but modified the way I want it to be. I have never rebuilt a car but i'm fairly handy when it comes to mechanical things. My downfall is that I often get impatient and rush things which ends in tears because I break something. I'm a real perfectionist so if it isn't perfect it will bug me until I fix it.

dasicvtec
10-09-2009, 06:06 AM
First off, do you have the space to house your potential build ?

In regards to spare parts, im pretty sure youll find everything for your car. One thing you can do just to make sure is make a list of what you more then likely need and take it down to your local honda dealer and see what they say.

Relocating a battery is not hard at all. Sound deadening would be neccessary if you want the quietest ride out of your car but you can do without if you want to do.

Good luck with the project, just plan to have it off the road for 3 months, should cover the time taken to do everything. There will be ALOT of running around to get stuff for your build :)

SiR CRX
10-09-2009, 06:20 AM
First off, do you have the space to house your potential build ?

In regards to spare parts, im pretty sure youll find everything for your car. One thing you can do just to make sure is make a list of what you more then likely need and take it down to your local honda dealer and see what they say.

Relocating a battery is not hard at all. Sound deadening would be neccessary if you want the quietest ride out of your car but you can do without if you want to do.

Good luck with the project, just plan to have it off the road for 3 months, should cover the time taken to do everything. There will be ALOT of running around to get stuff for your build :)

Thanks. As far as space goes I have a spare room, a shed and a garage I can keep things so that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

SPEEDCORE
10-09-2009, 09:24 AM
I want it to be as clean as it was when it left the factory

I'm all for this but you not going to like what I'm about to say next...... forget about the EK9 interior stuff if you want to achieve the above.

Australia needs a really clean example of an unmolested EK4 right down to the black strip bumpers.... so this is the result I would be pushing for :)

Your gonna need to sort out a decent car to get to work and back because this is going to take a freakin long time if you want to do it right.

tiksie
10-09-2009, 09:33 AM
I want it to be as clean as it was when it left the factory but modified the way I want it to be.

You missed a spot.

SPEEDCORE
10-09-2009, 09:43 AM
Sure did... on purpose too.

Do what you like bro.... EDIT: I was thinking you wanted some OEM looking EK4 with some extra attention to neatness (wire tuck etc).

Keep us posted.

kera_1
10-09-2009, 12:51 PM
True I do have a EK4 as well and I understand his love for his car. But personally I dont think its visible to rebuild the EK back to OEM spec. I mean I would love to chase for the Spoon Rear wing, Spoon Mirror and really nice paint kinda look but at the end of the day is it really worth the extra bucks that u pour on the car?

SiR CRX
10-09-2009, 12:55 PM
True I do have a EK4 as well and I understand his love for his car. But personally I dont think its visible to rebuild the EK back to OEM spec. I mean I would love to chase for the Spoon Rear wing, Spoon Mirror and really nice paint kinda look but at the end of the day is it really worth the extra bucks that u pour on the car?

I totally understand where you're coming from. Sometimes you have to weigh up price vs enjoyment. If you're going to enjoy a wing that cost you $1000 a lot more than a stock wing then it might be worth it. All depends on the look you're going for and the money you're prepared to spend.

As far as plans for the EK4 go, I already have a mouldless rear bar so i'm going to add the same on the front. The moulds don't really do anything for me. I much prefer the clean bar look.

Bludger
10-09-2009, 02:15 PM
what you're suggesting is a total complete rebuild and its no easy, be prepared ......

these things can take years if you don't have a lump sum you're willing to let go of.

do you want to do most yourself?

if not, then tripple that big lump sum.

some days you just cbf working on cars.

these guys in the US, they take a long time, unless you don't have a job to work on it 24/7

williamwong
10-09-2009, 04:33 PM
get a ek9 front-half cut + ek9 back-half cut = done ?

syx_ek
12-09-2009, 10:47 PM
If your not willing to do a few things yourself it will cost you a hellova lot more than you think. Im all for it man and good luck cause who wouldn't want a clean ek4, but suggestion, try doing a few on your car now (as you said you are mechanically sound) that need fixing, something small, nothing big and when your dont ask yourself can you honestly be ****ed. Once again good luck bro and have fun, Keep us posted and pics.

- Shaun