PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle gear & Pre-Learner driving test

Psy
10-09-2009, 04:28 PM
Hi guys, i've convinced my mum that i want to go for my motorcycle licence in which she always disapproved but somehow swayed her when i told her the suits, boots and stuff that are out there to reduce injury.

Now some American sites such as the motorcycle superstore have them pretty cheap but the Australian stores are like double or triple the price.

I know the bike for learners will be slow but she demands i get the full suit, boots, helmet, gloves etc. So it's going to look weird wearing the full gear and having Ls on the back, but hey, what can you do?

Anyone know of any nice shops that sell these at adequete prices?

Another question is about the pre-learner driving test before you do the computer test.

Do i need to have any experience having ridden a motorcycle? Cause i haven't and i'm worried that i just wasted $76 for booking it. On the RTA website it says that no experience is required but want some opinions on people who have done it.

What if i drop the bike?

Twincam16
11-09-2009, 12:06 AM
Now some American sites such as the motorcycle superstore have them pretty cheap but the Australian stores are like double or triple the price.

Good time to buy, as we are getting close to =$1 with USD. Shipping by USPS is a not too pricey as well

I know the bike for learners will be slow but she demands i get the full suit, boots, helmet, gloves etc. So it's going to look weird wearing the full gear and having Ls on the back, but hey, what can you do?

No need to go for a one piece or 2 piece suit if thats what you mean, especially coming up to summer and you would look like a bit of a rossi fanb0y. Its easy to reccomend you spend money in the order of what is most important to you. Normally that is your head, then torso & back, then legs, then hands and feet, but remember that coming off a 1000cc and a 250cc at 60km/h is exactly the same thing... so get some decent protection

Anyone know of any nice shops that sell these at adequete prices?

MCA's in city on a weekend, half the guys are friendly, the rest just piss me off with their bullshit, you will get to know some and you will deal with them always

Do i need to have any experience having ridden a motorcycle? Cause i haven't and i'm worried that i just wasted $76 for booking it. On the RTA website it says that no experience is required but want some opinions on people who have done it.

None at all needed, they teach you the basics, imagine riding a pushbike, but a lot heavier, and with a 250cc motor strapped to it

What if i drop the bike?

They have sissy bars on all bikes to protect them from crashes, nothing will happen, and they are very used to it. Unless its really serious and you are putting others in danger, or the instructor feels you wont be safe on the road, you will get your Pre-L's

Good luck!

MrJohn
11-09-2009, 12:12 AM
hey man
i got my license recently on bike. trust me its easy.. just dont crash the bike into the water tanks lol as my friend did and got sent home..
theyll teach u alot of basic and alot of braking.
for sure u would pass
doesnt matter if u drop the bike couple of times.. wont damage it, has some kinda bar thing protecting it.
dw bro i was on my l's wearing full suit gloves etc. trust me ull look like a sick kient haha.

u dont need experience ull gain it there.

so goodluck
ps if ur looking to buy jacket and gloves i got one right here near brand new rrp 1.4g but u can have it for 900 =) pm me i still got the reciept for them

sml-089
11-09-2009, 07:23 AM
hey man
i got my license recently on bike. trust me its easy.. just dont crash the bike into the water tanks lol as my friend did and got sent home..

guy from the range next to me came through the barricades and almost hit me!

but yeh no experience needed. they teach u it all... cept for any real situations on the road. its all done on a basketball court, its alot different once you get on the road. just take it easy

Psy
11-09-2009, 02:48 PM
Cool thanks guys, i'm alot more confident now. I have to just check out some YouTube videos on how NOT to stall the bike and all that kind of stuff... or are they pretty lenient on that kind of stuff?

MrJohn, i've already eyed out the ones i want lol... the ones on the American sites looks awesome and in Australia we get only a bunch of them which sucks hehe.. thanks anyways.

Twincam16
11-09-2009, 05:54 PM
Cool thanks guys, i'm alot more confident now. I have to just check out some YouTube videos on how NOT to stall the bike and all that kind of stuff... or are they pretty lenient on that kind of stuff?

MrJohn, i've already eyed out the ones i want lol... the ones on the American sites looks awesome and in Australia we get only a bunch of them which sucks hehe.. thanks anyways.

Harder to stall a bike than a car

Prob because you have more control & feedback in your fingers compared to your legs :thumbsup:

c0LL1n
11-09-2009, 11:25 PM
If your buying gear best to buy overseas espcially from the US cause everything is so much cheaper there compared to our prices here! Just go to MCA's, BikeBiz, Action or Sydney City Motorcycles as they stock prob the most variety of gear around and try everything on!

Find a jacket that is comfortable but tight to wear, stick to good leather ones such as Dainese, A*, Joe Rocket, Teknic, Spidi to name a few. Theres no need to wear a full suit unless your hitting the twisties everyday because summer is coming up and it will get damn uncomfortable.

Find some kevlar pants as they do a good job from you gettin abrasions etc. Just try a lot of gear on and just write down the ones that your interested in getting then compare them to the US sites, you'll see some big differences in some gear.

The test is easy, as long as you can multitask and have decent hand/eye co-ordination you'll be fine. Just dont do anything stupid and try and show off and always listen to the instructor! (Btw they provide you with gloves and helmet is you have gotten any on the day)

Type R Positive
12-09-2009, 12:08 PM
I buy all my stuff from the states. Saves me a shitload, and at the same time I have gear that isn't even out in Australia.

blayun_rr
12-09-2009, 06:35 PM
+1 on buying overseas

check ebay n bikeshops online you never know what you might find

antO
12-09-2009, 08:08 PM
Awesome man, good luck with it. i booked mine on the 22/09-23/09 : ]
and also, thanks guys for the comments, it had surely helped my understanding.

Psy
14-10-2009, 04:04 PM
Damn my test is this Saturday and Sunday.

On Friday i have to prepare somehow... i dunno how.

Might take out my BMX or something lol.

Wish me luck guys, i hope i don't stack and break my skull.

Twincam16
14-10-2009, 11:37 PM
Dont worry, if you listen you will learn

dsp26
15-10-2009, 09:19 AM
goto any bike shop and try on the gear and find your size in different brands... then order from eBay... Aussie dollar is strong at the moment!

although i did manage to find a $700 Shift leather for $350 from an eBay seller in Tassieland

Lepperfish
15-10-2009, 05:57 PM
goto any bike shop and try on the gear and find your size in different brands... then order from eBay... Aussie dollar is strong at the moment!

although i did manage to find a $700 Shift leather for $350 from an eBay seller in Tassieland

Ditto. I just got a sweet alpine stars jacket from flyin brians ebay store for half price.. Gunna order an arai helmet and gloves soon as well when I try some on locally, lol...:honda:

Lepperfish
15-10-2009, 05:59 PM
Oh yeah, and the pre learner training days are awesome if you have zero experience. Enjoy it and take in all the info, its invaluable...

Psy
15-10-2009, 09:53 PM
BTW guys, is this website any good? It seems to have prices equivalent to the American counterparts.

http://thehelmetwarehouse.com.au

Another thing i want to know is what the difference between the Kevlar jeans they sell compared to the normal Just Jeans stuff?

markCivicVti
15-10-2009, 10:09 PM
Kevlar jeans protect against abrasion a little... nothing like leather.

I ride in full leather gear + boots + gloves etc everyday on my commute... yes i look like i'm a racerboi... but with all the "armour" and leather it just gives you that extra confidence to ride it like ya stole it :)

Nothing beats a 10k bike whooping just about anything on four wheels. :)

Just don't be a squid.

rob1000
15-10-2009, 10:22 PM

MCA is decent out at Parramatta/Auburn on parramatta road next to that 2nds world joint. Its much bigger than the one on Wentworth street in the city.

Also don't forget ebay used "auctions". I managed to score a mint 2008 alpinestars leather jacket for $130 RRP $950 and alpinestar gloves RRP $200 for $40.

Don't worry about checking youtube for vids on how not to stall the bike. They really teach you from the very basics up... including what the controls do, and how to start the bike.

Psy
18-10-2009, 01:03 PM
All good, passed it.

Now i have to do the computer test.

The first i crashed the bike because i underestimated the throttle. I gave it too much and i just went flying into the other learner drivers. The bike crashed and flipped on my side lol.

My ribs, back and arm all kill right now but the instructor was surprised that i was continuing the training despite the crash. Today was completely different, no crashes at all lol.

I'm really liking the CB250 bikes now, bloody touch stuff!

rob1000
18-10-2009, 04:12 PM
All good, passed it.

Now i have to do the computer test.

The first i crashed the bike because i underestimated the throttle. I gave it too much and i just went flying into the other learner drivers. The bike crashed and flipped on my side lol.

My ribs, back and arm all kill right now but the instructor was surprised that i was continuing the training despite the crash. Today was completely different, no crashes at all lol.

I'm really liking the CB250 bikes now, bloody touch stuff!

gratz :)

I suggest practice the test over and over on the RTA site till you memorise the questions. its identical to the one you do at the RTA branch

While ya on the RTA site print out the P's test course. It shows exactly the course so you can set it up and practice through witches hats + "u-turn". Just find a quiet industrial area and/or dead end and setup a practice course on the road. Just practice your slow speed maneuvering (clutch + rear brake). Make sure to practice this a bunch before the P's test it, it really helped me anyway :)

Lepperfish
18-10-2009, 10:53 PM
!

****n hell dude.. Lol...:zip:

Twincam16
19-10-2009, 02:46 PM
^ Haha glad ur all good...

Damn man hope you learn from the mistake... remember to not think too hard about it... keep focused though!

Psy
19-10-2009, 09:39 PM
Thanks guys, yeah i still got a bandage wrapped around my ribs and back area which still hurts everytime i breathe :(

It doesn't help that my brother is telling my mum that he had a dream that i was killed lol, now the lectures are starting.

rob1000, great advice! I will do that as soon as i get the bike but i just need to find somewhere abandoned or somewhere with a huge area where i can't risk hitting anyone!

Twincam16, even the instructor was saying that i was thinking too much and overloading myself with outcomes that might happen which in turn was making it complicated on myself.

On day two, i didn't crash once because i put my nerves aside and just rode normally.

Thanks guy for the advice!