PDA

View Full Version : Ignition barrel problems

subie
10-09-2009, 08:04 PM
Hi guys,

in my ED6, it need new ignition barrel. i'm gonna get parts from Auto shop and just wondering how hard to change it myself? any ideas on how to?

Cheers

SHOGUNOVDDRK
10-09-2009, 08:12 PM
It should be relatively simple, If you have not already done it be sure to downloaded or purchased a Service Manual (/Hayness) then it'll be a whole piece of cake :thumbsup:

subie
10-09-2009, 08:25 PM
where can i download service manual ?

SHOGUNOVDDRK
10-09-2009, 08:27 PM
Not to sure mate, have a look on google (I know, stupidly large place to search)

Honda-tech (US) should have something

richy b
10-09-2009, 10:55 PM
you might need a couple of sheer bolts, there bolts where the head breaks off after tightening....to get these off you will need a centre punch to work it out anti-clockwise

subie
11-09-2009, 07:47 AM
Sound too hard for me with no tools :(

so, you guys reckon LockSmith will do the job ?

Cheers

MacDiZZle
11-09-2009, 10:55 AM
na man its easy... i changed mine in the carpark of the wreckers... you just take the back of the barrel off and unplug it from the wiring and then switch it over just a few screws i think. maybe a few nuts too. just start pulling things off. youll work it out

or do you need the front half of the barrel too? did you loose your keys or is it worn out?

subie
11-09-2009, 06:10 PM
na man its easy... i changed mine in the carpark of the wreckers... you just take the back of the barrel off and unplug it from the wiring and then switch it over just a few screws i think. maybe a few nuts too. just start pulling things off. youll work it out

or do you need the front half of the barrel too? did you loose your keys or is it worn out?

i still have the key but it worn out. some time i could not take the key out !! i don't even know if i need the whole thing ?? what do you mean by half of the barrel ?

Cheers

MacDiZZle
12-09-2009, 10:22 PM
well the front half of the barrel (the part with the lock in it) is attached to the steering column with sheer bolts so you cant get that off

but the back half of the barrel (has all the wiring and contact points on it) just clicks off of the back of the barrel.

the reason i had to replace mine was the contacts were worn out so i just replaced the back half.

you dont even need a key to start the car if you just take the back part off. you can just stick anything into the hole and turn it... i was pretty shocked when i worked this out!

grifty
16-09-2009, 10:27 PM
Yeah all those sheer bolts etc. only to find out that the plactic bit can be easily broken off to start the car....

G-Stick
17-09-2009, 08:39 AM
maybe take out the key barrel from ur door or boot and get a locksmith place to make up another key, see if that will work. it will be a fresh key oppose to your worn out one.