PDA

View Full Version : att gearbox & clutch gurus

clutch
11-09-2009, 12:32 PM
hey all, got a issue with my gearbox at the moment

in third and fifth the gears grind slightly when going into that gear, and third only seems to do it above 2.5k rpm and the higher the rpm the faster the gears sound when grinding, like, at 2.5k rpm you can hear the gears hit a couple of times and isnt so bad, but as you go higher rpm the gears grind faster. but fifth does it all the time.

does anyone know what could be causing this?

its a brand new clutch, and the gearbox is fine apart from these issues :(

now, the slave cylinder is rooted, its leaking and im replacing it tonight, but i just want to check that its not comething else that could be causing it.

if anyone knows whats going on please fill me in! :D

cheers

Bludger
13-09-2009, 06:41 PM
I know whats wrong. The gearbox is rooted, re-con or replace.

OMG.JAI xD
13-09-2009, 10:17 PM
Come back when you replaced you slave cylinder.
A leaking slave or master will give you a loss of pedal. To the extremes, it will decrease your clutch movement because of the lost pedal.

Limbo
14-09-2009, 12:11 PM
bludger is right, this is the recon box you got isint?

clutch
17-09-2009, 07:37 PM
ok we replaced the slave cylinder, nothing changed.

but

ok i dont know how this has any relation to the gears, or that its just coincidence.

today i cleaned all the throttle and iacv, and took it for a spin tonight, its running rather higher the rpm i mean, and now i dont usualy do this, but i warmed it up for 2 mins then reved it out in second to around 5k, and the gear hardly hit when going into third, is this because the gearbox oil is cold and thick? or because of the idle change? i thought it might be the idle because when u clutch in the idle drops, but now it dosnt drop so much.... any ideas off that guys?

vinnY
18-09-2009, 10:30 AM
bent selector fork? busted clutch? synchros stuffed on third and fifth?

na-118
18-09-2009, 10:44 AM
gears for sure

clutch
18-09-2009, 11:48 AM
hm ok, well with this idle, its sitting on around 1300 which high, but its making the gears crunch less somehow, reckon its worth leaving it at 1300?

Bludger
19-09-2009, 03:16 PM
enn, ohh

fix your box.

Bludger
19-09-2009, 03:18 PM
Although on one of our cars, we had this funny problem.

4th to 3rd is ok, but never 2nd to 3rd.

You always have to drive 1st, 2nd, 4th.

or 1st, 2nd, 4th then 3rd with the clutch still in, doing it quickly.

was ****ed for a year and somehow, its now gone and we can drive it like normal.

clutch
22-09-2009, 09:48 AM
Although on one of our cars, we had this funny problem.

4th to 3rd is ok, but never 2nd to 3rd.

You always have to drive 1st, 2nd, 4th.

or 1st, 2nd, 4th then 3rd with the clutch still in, doing it quickly.

was ****ed for a year and somehow, its now gone and we can drive it like normal.

lol yea thats weird, well, we pulled the oil out over the weekend, and it was dirty, discusting brown and thin as water, even though i gave the mechanic some brand new stuff :S and we put in some thickish engine oil to see how it went - there was no change, but i learnt that when the car is cold, the gears hardly hit, and runs quite well, so i think thats due to the gearbox oil being thick, so now im actualy going to put in the oil that i gave to the mechanic that he didnt put in and see how that goes.

but what do u guys think about the oil being cold and the gears not hitting, would that be the fix?

Bludger
22-09-2009, 03:08 PM
no, the fix it to recon/renew your box.

string
24-09-2009, 11:22 PM
If you clutch is not fully releasing when you press the pedal, you'll be giving your syncros much more work to do. If they're grinding constantly, you're boned - nothing you can do short of replacing parts can restore them back to their former glory.

Honda can make a mighty fine engine but when it comes to gearboxes (at least the gear changing parts) they're way behind. I friend of mine had an old 318 E30 with 350,000km on the odo (which had stopped before he took ownership it) and the gearbox shifted like butter after 20 years.

clutch
25-09-2009, 08:40 AM
so no one knows why it dosent grind when its cold?