PDA

View Full Version : Ek intake.... good or bad?

[M*]
15-11-2004, 04:26 PM
Ok guy... i have decied to "rice" my car.... so i went out a got myself a K&N....

it was on special for like $99.00 which i think its a good price... but thats besides the point...

next i went to super cheap and got myseld some intake pipe... ($30)

after installing

http://users.tpg.com.au/adslfl4m/civic/intake3.JPG

http://users.tpg.com.au/adslfl4m/civic/intake1.JPG

http://users.tpg.com.au/adslfl4m/civic/intake2.JPG

as you can see it sits right on top of the orginal "cold" air intake pipe....

Now to my surprise then i started the engine everything was fine... untill i went for a "run" when i noticed a really deep noise from the engin bay...

so i turned the corner and planted it again... and same thing happens... it seems to be happening only when the revs are farly high... it sounds like extractor....

I havnt really done a pod in a civic before so i dont really know... so is it good or bad or no difference...?

Weq
15-11-2004, 04:52 PM
get rid of the stock intake plastic pipe cause its got a resonator in there :) yeah u will get a woosh sound cause thats whats pods sound like... other then that, get a hose clamp on the metal/pastic overlap if u plan on keeping it as is.

SPEEDCORE
15-11-2004, 04:57 PM
LOL Weq I don't think the resonator is gonna make much of a difference in this current setup.

Weight saving?? hmmmmm maybe. ;)

ABZY
15-11-2004, 05:10 PM
i say ditch the so called stadard air box and run ducting from the front bar.. and is the cold air box just like another resonator?? did u notice and diff?? i noticed better response with my filter and intake, not to mention a great roar when its peakin.. :D

[M*]
15-11-2004, 05:14 PM
ok so those 2 pipes have gotta go... any tips on how to get them out??...

what do you mean "dont think its going to matter in this set up"?

please explain

ABZY
15-11-2004, 05:18 PM
i'm not to sure as my mechanic did it while doin the exhuast, but it its anythin like aGTi just take off the front bar ( like 2 screws up top, couple on the side 2 undeneath) there should be a few bolts or screws just take them out and away u go..

SPEEDCORE
15-11-2004, 06:31 PM
Ok I'll try my best.......

If you pull off your front bar (which you will have to do IF you decide to take the resonator out) you will see what the main resonator is...... it looks like a big white tank. There is black piping from this white tank..... on that goes from the white box to the bottom of your stock airbox, the other comes up back up through the inner guard (the very left one when you look at your pics).

Since you have taken the airbox off, and have a pod there, the black U shaped pipe and the big white airbox are pretty much just ballast, they are doing nothing. There is no harm in leaving it there however, it is not feeding cold air to the pod if that is what you are thinking though.

When the stock air box is in place over the black pipe... the whole system does NOT force air into the airbox..... rather it draws up air from the white tank resonator. If using the stock airbox, you guys can get a bit fresher air/force (only at reallt high speeds will it make a difference) up into the airbox by taking the white tank out, utilising the U shaped black pipe by cutting it in half so like a J shape and attaching pipe to that with a hose clamp and run it to the front bar.

As for your setup, just leave it as it is now that you have done it, should have a touch more response but nothing to write home about. The sound you get should satisfy you more than enough. Just remember more noise does not = more power but you should be happy with what you acheive for the money you spent :thumbsup:

[M*]
15-11-2004, 10:00 PM
ok yeah... thanks heaps for that... i now loud dosent mean fast... i was just worried if that was doing any harm to the engine...

its the "pull off the front bar" part that i need help with... canyone can help me out...? just a simple guild should do...

also if i fo remive the white box thing would it be less noisy??... cause belive it or not i dont realy like it...too rice for my liking...

thank heaps guys...

Perry
15-11-2004, 10:20 PM
by memory

1. open the bonnet, you should see on top of the grill there's these black plastic look alike screws, pop them out

2. then go to the guards look inside there should b metels screws, take them off, i think thats about it, and the bar should slide out, when u pull outwards

if theres parts i missed plz correct me, coz i only remember how to do it when i see in person =)

Weq
15-11-2004, 10:28 PM
u dont need to remove the bumper.. u'll need to undo a few underbody plastic shieldings, but thats it..

[M*]
15-11-2004, 11:47 PM
u dont need to remove the bumper.. u'll need to undo a few underbody plastic shieldings, but thats it..

alright thanks guys... will give it a go soon...

EuroAccord13
16-11-2004, 12:12 AM
Holy Cow!! 99 bucks for the Xtreme Series K&N ?? That IS CHEAP!!!! I paid like 140 for mine!

tanghy
16-11-2004, 02:14 AM
go bunnings get some aluminium sheet and sheild off the pod
then go to the hosing section and get some a/c hose and replace the stock resonator + piping with direct air feed

KB
16-11-2004, 04:20 AM
out of interest. What engine has this car got? And if its a Y8 why is the VTEC solenoid way down there by the gear box? Mines up my the cam cover. ?????

izzy
16-11-2004, 05:20 PM
yo just wondering, how much will it cost to be to get one of those thing put in in my ek1 civic cxi hatch?
approx?

ABZY
16-11-2004, 06:55 PM
sorry dude but ur impression of rice is wierd, i don't reakon puttin an intake on ur car is rice, nor is the sound.... wierd stuff

[M*]
16-11-2004, 11:25 PM
out of interest. What engine has this car got? And if its a Y8 why is the VTEC solenoid way down there by the gear box? Mines up my the cam cover. ?????

Not vtec mite... just a normal EK...

yo just wondering, how much will it cost to be to get one of those thing put in in my ek1 civic cxi hatch?
approx?

I got the filter on special for $99
the chrome pipe for $30
and install is DIY very easy...not too effective but haha...

i only say rice meaning all talk and no play.... when i floor it i sounds really nice... but i didnt really increase HP by much or at all.... the only difference i noticed is that when its idealing its very smooth...

[M*]
16-11-2004, 11:31 PM
then go to the hosing section and get some a/c hose and replace the stock resonator + piping with direct air feed

i just removed the stock piping and that pointless resonator...

ive been looking every where for a hose to use as a cold air feed... can you tell me where i can buy some...

i was thinking of doing a sheild from fibrglass.... have you done it?? can you post a pic cause i really want to see where i should block etc etc...

KB
16-11-2004, 11:46 PM
whoops my bad, I just thought it looked alot like a vtec solenoid???

[M*]
17-11-2004, 03:01 AM
ok i know that whenyou add a pod to the car it should change the sound of the engine... but didnt think it would change it this much..

now when i put my foot down... theres a really deep rumbling sound from the engine... when i take my foot off that sound goses away strieght away and is replaced with a whooshing sound...

the deep sound is like what you get from an exhurst at low revs... is this normal??

ABZY
18-11-2004, 04:32 PM
its just the induction sounds, all hondas have it, theres nuffin to be scared of dude its just normal....

Cyrus
18-11-2004, 05:20 PM
just remember when you buy the piping for the direct air feed..make sure the material is fire proof

[M*]
19-11-2004, 02:12 PM
ok last night i went to bunnings and got some thermo tubing and just stuck it in the front like so:

http://users.tpg.com.au/adslfl4m/civic/front.jpg

and comes out right under the filter

http://users.tpg.com.au/adslfl4m/civic/nest2pod.jpg

would this make any difference at all?? i tested it with a hair dryer and most of the air gets through...so i would think when the car is moving there would be a but of fresh air getting in?

kasparov
19-11-2004, 02:14 PM
wow nice job.!

LatinoHatchCrap
19-11-2004, 02:47 PM

This is exactly what I've done for my apexi intake kit :thumbsup:

Cyrus
19-11-2004, 03:15 PM
it's a brilliant job,...now u got fresh air 24/7

[M*]
20-11-2004, 02:07 AM
This is exactly what I've done for my apexi intake kit :thumbsup:

do you have a picture cause i would really like to see it... i have no idea where to block from and to... if you could post it that would be really good

edw-R
03-12-2004, 12:13 AM
Good idea. But the air filter seems not very good.
um.........

[M*]
03-12-2004, 01:51 AM
its a k&n extream or somthing....

i don see why it dosent seem good can you explain?

edw-R
03-12-2004, 04:51 AM
']its a k&n extream or somthing....

i don see why it dosent seem good can you explain?
Sorry, I just dun like the shape. :o
I will try apexi air pod or hks air pod. Just my personal opinion.

spoondc2
03-12-2004, 03:50 PM
Sorry, I just dun like the shape. :o
I will try apexi air pod or hks air pod. Just my personal opinion.
Hey you don't like it also? hahah me too....... but last time the guy in autobarn keep asking me to buy it, $14x man........

Anyway wanna to ask you something, how's the feeling of your current intake? just wanna ask the feeling for the whole rpm range

edw-R
03-12-2004, 05:11 PM
i am using HKS racing suction kit. This is a CAI system. Feeling good and looks nice. But the price is a bit expensive. I believe: more cold air intake=higher density of oxygen(in engine)= higher efficiency combustion= more output.

spoondc2
03-12-2004, 05:12 PM
i am using HKS racing suction kit. This is a CAI system. Feeling good and looks nice. But the price is a bit expensive. I believe: more cold air intake=higher density of oxygen(in engine)= higher efficiency combustion= more output.
Power in the whole rpm range?

bennjamin
03-12-2004, 05:30 PM
Power in the whole rpm range?

Not the WHOLE range , as air has to be FORCED into the combustion chamber to affect the amount of air volume etc...*IE a supercharger acts as a CAI , thru the WHOLE range*

A good CAI will increase mid and upper torque + hp - the air is forced into the combustion chamber relative to the vehicles forward speed - so faster you go , the more GULP of air in one induction stroke so more power.

spoondc2
03-12-2004, 05:34 PM
Not the WHOLE range , as air has to be FORCED into the combustion chamber to affect the amount of air volume etc...*IE a supercharger acts as a CAI , thru the WHOLE range*

A good CAI will increase mid and upper torque + hp - the air is forced into the combustion chamber relative to the vehicles forward speed - so faster you go , the more GULP of air in one induction stroke so more power.
Well i see..... cos i've seen the design of the HKS intake, it seems like to be trying to achieve high velocity + cold air, so i wanna know how's the feeling of the low rpm range

bumography
03-12-2004, 06:15 PM
you could've got fresh air with a bonnet scoop, or removing your left headlight :D

spoondc2
03-12-2004, 06:16 PM
you could've got fresh air with a bonnet scoop, or removing your left headlight :D
Hahah too hardcore for me......

Denchy
09-12-2004, 09:04 AM
ah dude dont ya mean the right hand head light :)

stevek84
23-12-2004, 05:49 PM
']ok so those 2 pipes have gotta go... any tips on how to get them out??...

what do you mean "dont think its going to matter in this set up"?

please explain

you have to take the bumber off and pull off this fatass white container thing that is connected to the two black pipes you can see in the engine bay. taking off the white container is a BITCH skinned my hand. there is a bolt at the back connecting the black piping to the container. get the container off and ur shhweet :thumbsup:

BlitZ
26-01-2005, 05:05 PM
get rid of the stock intake plastic pipe cause its got a resonator in there :) yeah u will get a woosh sound cause thats whats pods sound like... other then that, get a hose clamp on the metal/pastic overlap if u plan on keeping it as is.
there is an article somewhere.. after removing the resonator on the intake they lost power...

panda[cRx]
26-01-2005, 07:06 PM
gets a pod then wonders what the loud noise is...hahahaha

Lyle_Style
27-01-2005, 05:26 AM
take out that stocko air box
and then get a pvc pipe thats the same diameter as the hole it was origionally in and stick it in and point it at the ground (30cm long)

Steer^Gimic
27-01-2005, 04:36 PM
hey guys, ill be doin my setup this weekend, however just wanted to know if an ef8 crx has a resonator behind the bumper also??