PDA

View Full Version : DC5R Noob Questions

Zinyo
17-09-2009, 12:00 AM
Hi guys,

I got a couple of random questions bout things I want to do to my car...here it is...all feedback is appreciated;

1.)I came across a second hand VAFC; Is it worth buying a VAFC on its own, my DC5R is completely stock besides intake and it has never been tuned...so is it just a complete waste as i have to get it tuned or something right?

2.)I'm gona buy HID 6000k kit. I've found that some people have been having glare issues/high beam issues/positioning issues...is it a major problem? is it that bad?

3.)I've been wanting to lower my car for agessss as the stock height of the DC5R just makes it look like a 4 wheel drive/roller skates/similar height to a Ford territory...lol...so instead of getting expensive coilovers, is it worth buying springs? If so, what sort of springs should i look into??(brand, price, etc), would it affect ride comfort/damage anything??

cymax
17-09-2009, 12:54 AM
Do you have I/H/E installed? If not, no point getting VAFC. You should only consider installing VAFC if you have them done. Also, you must take into consideration that VAFC is a piggy back device controlling your air fuel ratio and your vtec point. You wouldn't have much gain from it. Finally, VAFC will not work on DC5R. Only VAFC2 or apexi neo will suit DC5R.

I reckon that you should consider either K-pro or K100 if you have the budget for now. It'll help you to tune up your current and future mods. Don't waste money on VAFC. They are more for display only. If not, stay with it. You don't need to tune the car with just intake installed.

I can't recommend much on HIDs. It depends on how you install it and adjusting the angle of the beam.

As for suspension system, it comes down to what you really want out of your car. Changing springs means changing the your stock configuration. Different springs has different height and spring rate. The higher the spring rate the harder the spring is (more discomfort ride) but better performance but if and only if you choose the right damper to combine with.

I reckon that if you are going for looks only, then go for the mid range spring rate like skunk2 or kings spring. These are the commonly used ones. However, if you are looking at tracking the car and cbf in analysing good damper and springs combination, go for coilovers like TEINS, Buddyclub and etc.

These are just my 2 cents worth. Please do not flame me.

:)

air23box
17-09-2009, 10:22 AM
1. no point to have VAFC or even VAFC II.....they dun do much with our car.....you can either go hondata or mugen N1 ECU
2. they should be ok....I have no such issue in mine.....
3. Springs is ok for lowering ur car unless you are looking at tracking in the furture.....Also depends on how long you plan to keep ur car....if you are keeping it then I recommond you to get sth decent coz it worth what you pay for.....unless you want the look only.....for me I only buy the parts once rather then twice.....no point to waste $$ for labour and drop of resell value.....
Just my 2 cent too....

Hi guys,

I got a couple of random questions bout things I want to do to my car...here it is...all feedback is appreciated;

1.)I came across a second hand VAFC; Is it worth buying a VAFC on its own, my DC5R is completely stock besides intake and it has never been tuned...so is it just a complete waste as i have to get it tuned or something right?

2.)I'm gona buy HID 6000k kit. I've found that some people have been having glare issues/high beam issues/positioning issues...is it a major problem? is it that bad?

3.)I've been wanting to lower my car for agessss as the stock height of the DC5R just makes it look like a 4 wheel drive/roller skates/similar height to a Ford territory...lol...so instead of getting expensive coilovers, is it worth buying springs? If so, what sort of springs should i look into??(brand, price, etc), would it affect ride comfort/damage anything??

Timmy_B
17-09-2009, 11:09 AM
3):
Yeah i have skunk2 lowered springs in mine.. I really like it..
It dropped from 4x4 spec to less than one finger at the back and just 2 fingers at the front... The ride is great.. nice and stiff and responsive..
But i will upgrade my shocks soon.. as OEM shocks will die in the end.. But i haven't had any problems..

Zinyo
17-09-2009, 03:04 PM
thanks for the advice guys...i guess i wont be buying the VAFC...

DC5.Raven
17-09-2009, 03:42 PM
I though HID's were illegal unless it was factory standard?
Something to do with auto leveling or what not?

Can someone confirm this?

vippy84
17-09-2009, 04:20 PM
Hi guys,

Get better ECU such as Kpro or K100. You can tune your engine better.

I though HID's were illegal unless it was factory standard?
Something to do with auto leveling or what not?
Can someone confirm this?

Yes, it is illegal, but a lot of people do it anyway. As long as you dont blind people by setting the height too high, there is no reason why it is not used..

Honestly speaking through my experience, I had both springs and coilovers. Like air23box has said, better of getting coilovers as you don't want to pay so much for the labour cost. It is pretty pricey to change the springs only. On top of that, you are not even getting anything near as good as coilovers.
I think coilovers is the way to go. I haven't tracked my car before, but the damper settings, height adjustment settings that it offers, give me flexibility to what ride height and comfort that I want it to be. If I were to rewind my path of modding, I would skip the path of getting springs and I would jump straight to coilovers. It saves me hundreds / thousands..

SHU-ES1
17-09-2009, 04:50 PM
i got defected two days ago for 12,000k hids and blasted by a few members for having them when my car wasn't built to use them (factory standard) even though i'm still convinced the ep3s have the same headlights as mine and they're allowed them so why not me. so it's up to you whether you want to use them or not, i think they're pretty cool and improve night vision heaps which is the main reason alot of people change over, and not for the bling factor.

using lowered springs with oem shocks will decrease the life span of your shockers. so it's up to you if you just want to drop them for daily use but except to have to replace them shocks sooner than expected. if you have a bit more cash lying around, probably upgrade both shocks and springs at the same time since you'll end up replacing the oem ones anyways due to failure. if you have a lot more cash lying around, upgrade to a set of decent coilovers, yeh the ride will be a lot stiffer but you'll have more control of your vehicle with them. they're mainly for track runners and are quite bumpy for daily commuting from my experiences. good luck modding the dc5 mate!

edit: oh and one last thing, don't ever chop your springs. i made the mistake of doing that to my civic es, and the ride was hell bumpy. if anything, i think skunk2 springs give you a 2" - 2.5" drop all round which will give your car a great stance. looks tough!~

Zinyo
17-09-2009, 10:49 PM
Really appreciate the feedback guys...decided to save up for coilovers instead...is 6000k a better choice than 8000k? in terms of visibility improvement and less noticable as to not blind the sh*t out of other drivers?

air23box
18-09-2009, 12:51 AM
6000k is just white in colour and when you get in 8000k the light will become more blue ish.....dun go anything more then 8000k coz it will become very purple ish colour and thats why you got pull over for changing the light.....I am currently using 8000k and never got done with anything at all....do you have msn? add me if you want......japmmc@hotmail.com
will chat soon bro.....