PDA

View Full Version : My diff just blew :(

Age_S2000
19-09-2009, 04:27 PM
hey all need help again....

were in vic can i get my diff rebuilt and an aftermarket diff center/LSD
thats stronger then factory as im lookin to turbo it too.

thanks for eny help

JAP-S2K
19-09-2009, 07:47 PM
The LSD centre is strong, and i doubt you did any damage there, however the crown and pinion wheels are crap due to lack of reinforcement in the diff. There's a diff reinforment kit called "Puddle Mod". This solves one part of the problem, next is not use OEM crown and pinion wheels. Use either Kia/Mazda final drive are better gear sets. If you do get them, don't cryo treat them as this will only cause them to be brittle and you'll end up breaking/cracking teeth. Good luck.

[HIREVZ]
20-09-2009, 12:45 AM
DUDE....NICE GUD help [JAP-S2K]

Age_S2000
20-09-2009, 12:58 AM
hey guys just got back from the city and i couldnt help myself i was in a rush when i blew it and could check it out

i jacked the car up to notice its not the diff at all i snapped the RH tail shaft. so im goin to order some brand new ones from honda and yes i know there about $1k each i work next door to a honda dealership and i will get them at trade price.
its good because it will also solve the vibration problem common in these cars :D

oh and im also getting newies because iv never come across a driveshaft reconditioner that even knows what an S2K is let alone has change overs on the shelf lol

sorry for the false advetisement lol

JAP-S2K
20-09-2009, 07:26 AM
Instead of forking out 1k for the whole shaft, Honda can (but don't like to) sell you the inner CV joint, from memory it's approx $450 each. It's as easy as removing the boot and popping off the C clip.

Age_S2000
20-09-2009, 12:32 PM
i think its snaped were it joins at the tip of the shaft and atleast if i get two new ones i wont have to worry about them for a very long time lol

9large
20-09-2009, 02:52 PM
There's a diff reinforment kit called "Puddle Mod".

I think you meant the reinforced diff housing by PuddyMod ;) not Puddle Mod LOL

JAP-S2K
20-09-2009, 05:42 PM
I think you meant the reinforced diff housing by PuddyMod ;) not Puddle Mod LOL

Yep! that's the one.:thumbsup:

F20C
21-09-2009, 12:20 PM
can i ask how you did it age?

aozora
21-09-2009, 03:20 PM
The LSD centre is strong, and i doubt you did any damage there, however the crown and pinion wheels are crap due to lack of reinforcement in the diff. There's a diff reinforment kit called "Puddle Mod". This solves one part of the problem, next is not use OEM crown and pinion wheels. Use either Kia/Mazda final drive are better gear sets. If you do get them, don't cryo treat them as this will only cause them to be brittle and you'll end up breaking/cracking teeth. Good luck.

What do you mean by using Kia/Mazda final drive?
Are they interchangeable?

I'm looking at changing my final drive ratio...

ludecrs
21-09-2009, 03:34 PM
Kia gears fit inside our diffs.

Head to the search function on s2ki or check the S2000 FAQ / Information Thread stickied at the top of this sub forum for more information.

aozora
21-09-2009, 04:03 PM
Kia gears fit inside our diffs.

Head to the search function on s2ki or check the S2000 FAQ / Information Thread stickied at the top of this sub forum for more information.

Thanks for the info :)
And here I was about to fork out 80k yen for a Spoon final drive...

JAP-S2K
21-09-2009, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the info :)
And here I was about to fork out 80k yen for a Spoon final drive...

Don't be silly, where do you think they get it from? !?!?!

aozora
22-09-2009, 09:05 AM
Don't be silly, where do you think they get it from? !?!?!

Haha I know now... checking out prices for a Mazda final drive from Japan atm :D
I suppose the questionable thing is whether it's worth cryo treating it?
I can't really find much information on what fails on the diff... I don't know if it's the final drive or some other component. Read through almost 17 pages of that thread including all the useless arguements :|

WhiteAP1
22-09-2009, 06:20 PM
Well let me make it easy for you.

Its the crown and pinion that fails and you dont need to waste money getting you final drive from japan, Australian dealers are just as good. 4.44 from mazda and 4.77 from kia.

And cryo treating isnt a must, but it helps (I went with cryo treating)

Age_S2000
22-09-2009, 10:44 PM
i was being stupid i droped the clutch attemping a launch from about 7 or 8k and BANG! she stoped on the spot lucky it was around the corner literaly so i pushed her home.

i baught the car in feb and i noticed a vibration i had done 10,000km with out doin a thing about it and god knows how long before that they were vibrating too so they wouldnt have been there best.

im getting new ones for $900 each and going to be buying T1R spacers from JDM Yard asap then putting them in all together.

markis
19-12-2009, 05:27 PM
excuse my question but what does the T1R spacers do?

JAP-S2K
20-12-2009, 08:03 PM
Spacers technically make the inner joint wear in a different spot, closer inside the inner hub, can/will eliminate rear vibration caused by excessive wear to the inner joint. This is common with lowered S2K's. Don't get the split T1R's though, there's been bolt failures under extreme driving condition's. So if you do buy the T1R items, also buy high tensile bolts, otherwise buy J's Racing spacer's.

9large
21-12-2009, 09:04 AM
The drive shaft spacers actually attempt to straighten up the angles of the drive shafts for lowered vehicles so that it's close to stock. The T1R drive shaft spacers only come in half-sized spacers anyway - there are no "full-sized"/non-split T1R spacers. They did this for ease of installation.

Additionally, the failures that you mention aren't commonplace, and most can be argued to a be a failure of the installation rather than the spacers or the bolts themselves.

JAP-S2K
21-12-2009, 09:16 AM
The drive shaft spacers actually attempt to straighten up the angles of the drive shafts for lowered vehicles so that it's close to stock. The T1R drive shaft spacers only come in half-sized spacers anyway - there are no "full-sized"/non-split T1R spacers. They did this for ease of installation.

Additionally, the failures that you mention aren't commonplace, and most can be argued to a be a failure of the installation rather than the spacers or the bolts themselves.

Really??? The spacer's straighten the the driveshaft angle. How does it do that?

For starters, the spacer is mounted between the driveshaft and diff. So it doesn't straighten anything, It makes the internal spider sit further inside the inner hub. That's all it does. A lowered S2K will still have a negative angle on the driveshafts regardless of whether it has or hasn't got spacers.

Correct in saying, failures aren't common. But they have had failures, I'm yet to hear of any by J's Racing. Correct me, if i'm wrong.

9large
21-12-2009, 10:36 AM
Ok, that was my bad - try half shafts, not drive shafts. The spacers attempt to move the point of wear, close to stock, and I can tell you there was a difference in the angle of the half shafts when I installed mine.

From your description of the T1R shaft spacers, it doesn't sound like you've any experience with them - they don't come in one-piece and high-tensile bolts are actually part of the kit. Do you use spacers? There's been significant discussions about the merits of using shaft spacers, but eventually - even with spacers - your CV joints will wear out and you'll experience vibration. They won't eliminate vibration altogether, but alleviate it at best.

JAP-S2K
21-12-2009, 12:29 PM
No experience with the T1R split spacers, but I know of a local failure. I don't think i posted of a solid T1R spacer. I know there's other shit brands out there!
I have J's Racing spacers, so i know what they do, and they definately don't decrease the driveshaft angle, only ride height will change that, unless you reposition the diff.
Anyhow back on topic.