PDA

View Full Version : [CL9]Whining on cold start

sodhi90
20-09-2009, 04:56 PM
Anyone else get a whining noise from the engine for like 30 seconds on a cold start? just curious? i get paranoid by little little things!! lol it sounds to me like the power steering pump?

cheers in advance. :)

Tarquin
20-09-2009, 05:23 PM
Anyone else get a whining noise from the engine for like 30 seconds on a cold start? just curious? i get paranoid by little little things!! lol it sounds to me like the power steering pump?

cheers in advance. :)

Yep I get a whining noise on almost every cold start, sounds awesome idlin down the street haha.
It goes after a k or so down the road, I havnt worried a great deal bout it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldnt the power steering pump be the culprit if the whining was while turning, while the pump would be under load?

sodhi90
20-09-2009, 05:44 PM
yeah i know what you mean , im not 100% sure what it is, but it goes away after like 30-40 seconds or so of idling. does anyone know if it could be the torque converter trying to get oil? or does it not spin when in park?

aaronng
20-09-2009, 07:02 PM
Could be your accessory belt being worn out, especially if it hasn't been changed since 2003. I recently changed mine and it is a 2004 model.

sodhi90
20-09-2009, 07:22 PM
i got a new accessory belt about a week ago , so its not that lol, i just changed to fully synthetic Castrol EDGE 5w30, just thought ide add that my car revs so much more freely compared to the Caltex mineral oil was using. :)

but this wining noise has always been there, never been overly worried about it.. cam timing chain?

Crapdaz
20-09-2009, 08:23 PM
i would have said it's your belt drive (ps, alternator and crank shaft) hardening up.

flipmods
21-09-2009, 02:54 AM
I had whining, then it turned to squeeling and I found it to be my water pump. Tested it by removing the belt and found the water pump hard to turn. Not a cheap part at honda :)

sodhi90
21-09-2009, 09:48 AM
I had whining, then it turned to squeeling and I found it to be my water pump. Tested it by removing the belt and found the water pump hard to turn. Not a cheap part at honda :)

how many ks did u have? and was it original coolant ?