PDA

View Full Version : Approaching 320,000 KMs on my EG

Moya
21-09-2009, 11:37 AM
So I love my little EG. It's just about to crank over 320K's so I was wondering what peoples thoughts were regarding the engine.

I know I need:
Couple new CV boots
Left steering Boot
New Timing belt (overdue!)

But other than that, everything else is tip top. All the suspension bushings are in top condition and brakes were recently big bang for buck ugpraded so I'm happy with them.

Is it typically better at this point to pickup a B-seires and throw it in with new timing belt? I'm assuming it's all cheaper to change it when it's out of the engine bay.

I suppose my question comes down to ... if I just service this engine -- how many more K's will I get out of it before I really dies? I'd had to give it a $600 service only to have the engine heads blow in 20Ks. The car is great, the only thing thats annoying me is Brisbane is ****EN hot and when I have the AC on full, it almost can't go up hills lol. A new engine with new AC compressor would be nice.

Cheers

spastic
21-09-2009, 11:41 AM
i dunno the history of ur engine but my old car got to 420xxx on orig engine. then i sold it and apparently its still going good.

TheSaint
21-09-2009, 02:46 PM
My EG Gli Sedan just got her 300 000kms service and she is still running tip top (using all honda OEM oils fluids and parts)

same issues as you ... need new CV boots and i just had to replace all the radiator hoses (big ones and little ones) - otherwise shes running fine

shes a buety of a run about ... no balls but brilliant for getting around town and to and from work

i considered a B series swap ... but i think im just gona keep running her around until the engine really dies (or something really expensive comes up) ... i rekon i will probably sell it before that happens tho ... sad to see her go tho ... most reliable little car i have ever had =)

OzSir2
21-09-2009, 09:34 PM
It sounds as though your engine will go for a lot longer yet. It won't just suddenly blow its head if you continue to take care of it. Putting a B engine in it sounds good in theory, but you have to factor in the cost of installation as well as the other parts you'll need (e.g. gearbox, ecu, fuel lines if your current car is a carby). So my suggestion is to get the timing belt in your current engine fixed and regas the aircon. Apparently it is cheaper to replace your boots with driveshafts from a wreckers as opposed to the mechanic spending time in replacing just the boot.

riruiz_88
21-09-2009, 09:52 PM
i may be able to help with parts if needed mate. get back at me if you want

dougie_504
21-09-2009, 10:13 PM
Hey man, my D16Y1 in my EH VTi just ticked over 190k KMs which isn't that many, but I know if you look after it it'll go way over 400k KMs. Just service it well and you'll be fine for ages :)

4age8u
21-09-2009, 10:53 PM
my d15b4 is about to blow after just 200,000 lol my old 4age was on 460,000 and was still reving to 8500 beating vtacs yo!

TheSaint
22-09-2009, 01:48 PM
i suppose it also depends on how mutch u thrash it, punish it,not look after it lol

if u 50/50 thrash it but still look after it ... it should serve u well =)

and from my experience EFI > Carby for reliability

Moya
22-09-2009, 02:33 PM
Mine is a GLI.

FastFwd
22-09-2009, 03:09 PM
Engine sounds like its holding strong, ive done 270,000 in my civic which 190,000 were done by me. At 250+ clicks if the engines not blowing smoke or showing signs of ring damage etc then theres other things that you might need to worry about....bushings start to crap themselves after 250,000. 1 will go in 2 months time the next in 6 and so on. Also other things like wheel bearings and fuel pumps can also go sour.

If its holding strong and you havent had any issue in the past 6 months then just keep up with the regular oil changes, maybe some thicker oil and the car should be fine.

vtecraze
22-09-2009, 04:45 PM
yeah my eg4 has done 255k, just bought it recently!
my mate who's a mechanic had a look and said it was sweet, just needed the brake fluid flushed and some other minor stuff....we'll see how long it lasts me;)

TheSaint
22-09-2009, 07:14 PM
yeah i juss got all my trans/brake/oil/coolant flushed by my mechanic mate ... i bought all the proper stuff from honda and we replaced it

be sure to do a pressure test on the cooling system (radiator + hoses)

vtecraze
24-09-2009, 12:05 PM
yeah, will have to get the other fluids flushed too.
My rear drivers side suspension is making a slight tapping noise when going over bumps...anyone know what that could be? the car's on king springs from previous owner

Anwyl
18-10-2009, 05:38 AM
lol well in my EG my engine shat itself around 3XX,XXX lol....