PDA

View Full Version : brake pedal issues.

redmugenjazz
21-09-2009, 01:24 PM
Dear all,

I've had this brake problem to about a 8 months already from the first time i tried to change the front brake pads and did not push the piston back in properly because i used an incorrect clamp, i drove down the road and back and noticed that i lost some fluid, i checked the master cylinder and it is still between the min and max mark. So i went to check the caliper, it was dripping with brake fluid, i opened up the caliper and saw that i damaged the rubber cone surrounding the caliper piston. There is a small rip in the flexible rubber seal which extends out as the piston travels ouwards,onto the brake pad. After this i removed the entire caliper out and put it all out on the bench to re-assemble the internals and reinstall it onto the car. I bleed all the brakes from back to front, left to right. Ever since i have not lost any brake fluid as a result of this noob accident. the brakes work fine but the brake pedal has too much play. I would have to press the pedal for about 5 cm down until the brakes begin to engage, once they are engaged, the brake is stiff, not spongy and the pedal does not travel all the way to the floor. During this 5cm pedal stride if i were to press the pedal continously, i hear the woosh sound which u get when u press the brake pedal continously when the car is turned off. I was concernedi screwed up the bleed and brought it to honda for a proper brake bleed, it did no good but wasted 70 bucks and gave me a 30k fluid replacement :). went home and I though there was air in the brake master clyinder and bleed it at the master cylinder with rags and towels. I had some time today and adjusted the brake pedal to the max (closer to the floor) and now the problem is still there.

i'm a poor uni student and preety mechanically minded so i try most services at home in my garage given i have all the tools, but this time i must say i exhausted all my options and did it properly according to the shop manual and the pedal is still ....fcked. so i'm asking for help from all those honda techies out there for some helpful advice on what i should do. broken master cylinder? damaged pushrods? damaged brake booster, i seriouly got no idea now, ... lost

thankyou in advance

na-118
21-09-2009, 09:13 PM
instead of checking one piston have you check all the other pistons? did you reassemble the caliper? or do a complete rebuild is it still leaking? why isn't it leaking anymore

richy b
21-09-2009, 11:50 PM
maybe you have not inserted the piston boot correctly, they can be difficult, plus it sounds like theres air in the system. try a manual bleed with a mate pumping the pedal, see how it goes from there

redmugenjazz
21-09-2009, 11:52 PM
instead of checking one piston have you check all the other pistons? did you reassemble the caliper? or do a complete rebuild is it still leaking? why isn't it leaking anymore

i didn;t check all the calipers because i only stuffed up the driver side, i used a h style clamp instead of a g-clamp n i jarred the piston slightly to one side of the caliper, u can barely see it but it wansnt moving in and out smmoothly, i took it out and realigned it to the inner washer. bleed it and topped up brake juice. i'm picking up a rebuild kit soon for peace of mind but the caliper is working fine, just pedal problem mate.

redmugenjazz
21-09-2009, 11:56 PM
maybe you have not inserted the piston boot correctly, they can be difficult, plus it sounds like theres air in the system. try a manual bleed with a mate pumping the pedal, see how it goes from there

thats it, the piston boot, i damaged that but all i see it do is prevent dust from entering and comming into contact with the rubber ring seal. I'll take a pickie tomorro. and i tried the manual bleed method with dad but no luck, i squezed out some bubbles but it was like 5 bubbles. but i was thinking if there is air in the pedal it would be spongy and the pedal would be hard but eventually go to the ground when the press the pedal. should i bleed it at the abs system?