PDA

View Full Version : Weird Start Up Noise

DvSnGuYeN
21-09-2009, 07:55 PM
Hey there peepz. I know it's hard to help when it's a noise problem, but I'll try my luck anyways.... BTW, it's a D16y4 engine...

Anyways, only started today, and only happened a few times. But when I start the car, as soon as the engine starts, it makes this sound like gears crunching. But the sound comes from the engine itself...

Anyone have any idea as to what it may be? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advanced!

bennjamin
21-09-2009, 08:46 PM
something loose ? open your bonnet , and lightly rev the engine with your finger and see if the noise disappears or changes at any RPM

OMG.JAI xD
21-09-2009, 08:52 PM
Broken exhaust mount/bracket.

DvSnGuYeN
21-09-2009, 09:24 PM
It only happens here and there..... started today, and it happened 3 out of 8 starts...

Ben, it only makes that noise as soon as it starts... like "varoom... eeeggghhhhh... normal"... lol... it's all normal once the engine is on...

i'll have a better look tomorrow... shall keep you posted... Thanks guys!

na-118
21-09-2009, 09:55 PM
starter motor? not too sure over the net LOL

andiiso
21-09-2009, 10:35 PM
my guess is sticking starter motor, i had that problem, i just left it, (had it for 2yrs, never had starter motor problems wid noise) and to try minimise it so dun annoy me everytime i start up i just let go of key as soon as engine turns on after cranking.

redefine
22-09-2009, 05:32 PM
yeh, by ur description it sounds like the noise that happens if u try to turn the key once the car has already started...which would lead me to believe that its a startermotor issue

DvSnGuYeN
22-09-2009, 05:35 PM
Upon further analysis and inspection, I've come to the conclusion that it's the starter motor. That's where the noise is coming from. I got someone else to start the car while my head was under the hood... the noise is like as though I've over turned the key, but I haven't...

so what would be the best thing to do now?... change starter motor again?... any input is appreciated!...

yeh, by ur description it sounds like the noise that happens if u try to turn the key once the car has already started...which would lead me to believe that its a startermotor issue

yeah, that's the noise...

rayb3na_
24-09-2009, 06:34 PM
possibly pingy! ;]

bennjamin
24-09-2009, 08:20 PM
its def. starter motor catching on the flywheel as its spinning - make sure the starter is sitting firm and the 2 x bolts holding it to the side of the gearbox are both still tight.

DvSnGuYeN
24-09-2009, 08:56 PM
i shall check that tomorrow.... thanks Ben!

RandyRhydah
26-09-2009, 10:14 AM
i have this problem too.. it only started after i took the starter motor out when i took my gearbox off.. i will check to see if its tight aswell.

DvSnGuYeN
26-09-2009, 10:20 AM
fixed!... lol... bolts were loose... thanks Ben!