PDA

View Full Version : Lowering Question, Defect Question etc...

Mr EG
22-09-2009, 06:18 PM
I have 14'' rims

1) What is the maximum drop I can drop it too on springs that is legal?

2) Right now I got cut springs, it's black, previous owner done it. But how do I check the measurement like where do I measure how much he dropped it to? Cause everytime I go over a hump it scrapes.

3) What is that thing that cops put under your car when they check how low it is? Anyone got a pic of it?

Also random question, for those with lowered cars, does your underneath scrape? Not talking about body kits and that. How do you go about on a hump for not to scrape, I tried that curving technique, still scrapes abit. :(

Thanks.

geeang
22-09-2009, 06:49 PM
10cm, if any point of your car is less than 10cm from the ground then you will be defected.

riruiz_88
22-09-2009, 06:59 PM
one reason which is most likely happening to you now is, because of you running cut springs the standard shocks will be under more stress than usual. this in turn causes leaks in the shocks and sagging. are you running standard shocks?

cut springs are very dangerous man. springs are engineered from the factory with specific spring rates, you are altering the spring rates which would probably be causing a very bumpy ride, yes? get the shocks replaced with heavy duty ones and get lowered springs.

my car very rarely scrapes on speed bumps, it depends on the speed im taking on the bumps and how much weight. i have King low springs and KYB shocks.

blakee
22-09-2009, 07:03 PM
one reason which is most likely happening to you now is, because of you running cut springs the standard shocks will be under more stress than usual. this in turn causes leaks in the shocks and sagging. are you running standard shocks?

cut springs are very dangerous man. springs are engineered from the factory with specific spring rates, you are altering the spring rates which would probably be causing a very bumpy ride, yes? get the shocks replaced with heavy duty ones and get lowered springs.

my car very rarely scrapes on speed bumps, it depends on the speed im taking on the bumps and how much weight. i have King low springs and KYB shocks.

i told riruiz about my cut springs at a honda meet,,,worst decision ever....u feel every bump...u hit the road (doesnt absorve the weight) and cops pick it up all the time

Mr EG
22-09-2009, 09:21 PM
10cm, if any point of your car is less than 10cm from the ground then you will be defected.

Is that 10cm from the side skirt or from the part that hanging down from your car, like in the middle of the car?

riruiz_88
22-09-2009, 10:23 PM
from the lowest part of the vehicle.

denrie
22-09-2009, 10:37 PM
sorrry to ruin ur thread but i also want to know.. i got a integra dc2 from stock height im lowering it only 2 inches... would that still be a defect?

geeang
22-09-2009, 11:06 PM
READ, if the lowest point on your vehicle is lower than 10cm then it will be a defect.

And no we can't tell you if it will be a defect or not if you lower your dc2 by 2 inches because all cars are unique so it's best that you measure it yourself.

Diz44zy
22-09-2009, 11:26 PM
READ, if the lowest point on your vehicle is lower than 10cm then it will be a defect.

And no we can't tell you if it will be a defect or not if you lower your dc2 by 2 inches because all cars are unique so it's best that you measure it yourself.

keep in mind when lowering your vehicle that its 10 cm even under heavy load. If you have a couple have fat mates in the back and a loaded boot its easy to drop the car below this limit. It would be wise to have the suspension set u right to account for this.

Mr EG
23-09-2009, 11:42 AM
Okay thanks guys, anyone have EG on here with 14'' rims, can you show what it looks like on 2inch drop and 2.5 inch drop? Thanks

mrwillz
23-09-2009, 12:03 PM

be aware of the front sway bar (on EK/EMs) hangs quite low but i doubt they check right behind the wheel

usually the cat or headers hang the lowest

im.Kusuma
23-09-2009, 12:07 PM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110732

Bros old EG. on 14inch Lowered with pedders 3inch all round. Scrapes cat and canon and worse is the lip. LOL

Mr EG
23-09-2009, 12:15 PM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110732

Bros old EG. on 14inch Lowered with pedders 3inch all round. Scrapes cat and canon and worse is the lip. LOL

Haha nice, does he get defected for being that low? How many CM is it off the ground by?

Mine's like 4.5cm off the ground :( scared to get defected LOL just wanna see some legal lowered EG on 14'' rims wanna see what the gap from the guard would be and what it would be look like. hehe

riruiz_88
23-09-2009, 12:58 PM
dude you are going to get caught, no doubt about that. it would be wise to properly have the car lowered, non of this chopped stuff.
if not, keep it the way it is and deal with it. not being a smart ass man, just putting it the way it is.

Mr EG
23-09-2009, 02:04 PM
dude you are going to get caught, no doubt about that. it would be wise to properly have the car lowered, non of this chopped stuff.
if not, keep it the way it is and deal with it. not being a smart ass man, just putting it the way it is.

That not what I'm asking,

I have 14'' rims, buying new springs but how much should I drop it to to make it look good with 14'' rims, like 2inch drop? 2.5 drop? - And the gap between guard and tyre is not huge, so it don't look like a monster truck.

flipfire
23-09-2009, 02:31 PM
Id invest in adjustable coilovers man, i regret buying springs

WATAJK
23-09-2009, 08:02 PM
Id invest in adjustable coilovers man, i regret buying springs

+1 either noe i haven't got my springs changed but i fink my dc5r has alrdy been done.
Get coilovers all round, u can adjust em urself and will never have problems wif defects as u can adjust it urself l8er down the track ;)

im.Kusuma
24-09-2009, 01:44 AM
Haha nice, does he get defected for being that low? How many CM is it off the ground by?

Mine's like 4.5cm off the ground :( scared to get defected LOL just wanna see some legal lowered EG on 14'' rims wanna see what the gap from the guard would be and what it would be look like. hehe
if i cud remember, it was 4cm ish or 3cm. Im measuring it from lip. Never got defected. Got pulled over for canon. If cops are around, drive it normally, "slow and luxurious" lol. Or at least have a nice face expression :P

The car got all guards rolled, mud guards (plastic inside the fenders) were taken off, except the rear one, used to run 16", scraped fenders.

I personally advise you not to go too low.. 2inch should be enough, as long as u can get ur self over a hump w/o doing turning shit or something.