PDA

View Full Version : Clutch & Flywheel Reccomendations

Terrano08
22-09-2009, 10:22 PM
Hey guys,
My clutch is going on my Euro. Im goin to be changing it myself, in my workshop. Any reccomendations on what flywheel to use( lightened or not and exedy heavy duty clutch or regular. I have seen some forums sayin to use dc5 ckutches and flywheel etc. (Explain) I dont know about other Euros but mine doesn let me change real quickly, it is actually impossible for the car to flat change( is it a restrictive box or its just mine; always wondered/
Anyways let me know
Thanks
Marc

integral90
23-09-2009, 05:32 PM
Hey guys,
My clutch is going on my Euro. Im goin to be changing it myself, in my workshop. Any reccomendations on what flywheel to use( lightened or not and exedy heavy duty clutch or regular. I have seen some forums sayin to use dc5 ckutches and flywheel etc. (Explain) I dont know about other Euros but mine doesn let me change real quickly, it is actually impossible for the car to flat change( is it a restrictive box or its just mine; always wondered/
Anyways let me know
Thanks
Marc

I've got the JDM DC5R flywheel with the Exedy Sports Heavy Duty clutch. Very nice combo - Chris F has the same. It feels similar to the stock clutch just a lot stickier and a bit heavier. The DC5R flywheel is about 4.6kg so you notice a big difference without the car being incredibly jerky on/off throttle.

About the car sticking in gears and unable to shift quickly... it's probably your release bearing. Mine was doing the same thing; every single gear would stick and some would crunch. Changed the clutch and release bearing, everything is smooth now (except for the obvious vibrations you feel through the gearstick with a lightened flywheel and heavier clutch).

Terrano08
23-09-2009, 07:26 PM
So is that a stock dc5 type r flywheel? Or is a jdm a dfferent model if so what are the diferences. The dc5 flywheel with the hd exedy clutch, is it a straight fit(any modifications needed.) And how much are my looking at. I saw an exedy f1 clutch for k24 for 280us... any good?
Thanks

Marc

integral90
24-09-2009, 01:16 PM
JDM DC5R flywheel weighs less than the AUDM one. It's all a straight fit with the clutch and flywheel - no modification needed.

Get in touch with Yonas from JDMYard; he set me up with my clutch/flywheel combo

aaronng
24-09-2009, 01:21 PM
I'm using the Exedy HF02 lightweight clutch which is 4.1 kg. As for clutch, I am using the Exedy OEM DC5 clutch, but I recommend you go for the Exedy Heavy Duty as the Exedy DC5 OEM clutch is weaker than the OEM Euro clutch because of the smaller diameter.

aaronng
24-09-2009, 01:22 PM
About the car sticking in gears and unable to shift quickly... it's probably your release bearing. Mine was doing the same thing; every single gear would stick and some would crunch. Changed the clutch and release bearing, everything is smooth now (except for the obvious vibrations you feel through the gearstick with a lightened flywheel and heavier clutch).
Was the original clutch pressure plate damaged? Have a look and see if there is any damage on it, assuming that you didn't throw it away.

integral90
24-09-2009, 03:17 PM
Was the original clutch pressure plate damaged? Have a look and see if there is any damage on it, assuming that you didn't throw it away.

I still have the whole original clutch... I'll take a look later.

Terrano08
24-09-2009, 05:23 PM
Hey guys,
anyone know about that exedy f1 combo i was talking about, and how much for the flywheel, i can get the hd exedy clutch for about 400+

Terrano08
26-09-2009, 01:04 AM
?
Anyone lol

aaronng
26-09-2009, 01:19 AM
Hey guys,
anyone know about that exedy f1 combo i was talking about, and how much for the flywheel, i can get the hd exedy clutch for about 400+

I don't like the F1 flywheel. I would rather trust an Exedy flywheel.

kitbkk
26-09-2009, 01:28 AM
I am using ORC clutch and flywheel combo. It is though very noisy but performance wise it is very good. The whole thing weigh about 9 kilo. Flywheel itself is 3.9 kilo. I think this makes it a bit harder to take off. When idling and before taking off it makes buzzing noise. It however bites very very hard though. I heard exedy clutch doesn't make this loud noise?

spsteven
26-09-2009, 06:59 PM
yeah its because of the orc has a 'floating' style clutch, witch makes the ting noise or metal noise when not engaged

Terrano08
28-09-2009, 11:41 PM
I've got the JDM DC5R flywheel with the Exedy Sports Heavy Duty clutch. Very nice combo - Chris F has the same. It feels similar to the stock clutch just a lot stickier and a bit heavier. The DC5R flywheel is about 4.6kg so you notice a big difference without the car being incredibly jerky on/off throttle.

Hey,
just wondering, did you use the jdm DC5R flywheel and a accord euro exedy heavy duty clutch, or did you use theintegra heavy duty clutch. And how much the cheapest you reckon i can get a jdm flywheel for? any suggestions?
Thanks

aaronng
28-09-2009, 11:57 PM
Hey,
just wondering, did you use the jdm DC5R flywheel and a accord euro exedy heavy duty clutch, or did you use theintegra heavy duty clutch. And how much the cheapest you reckon i can get a jdm flywheel for? any suggestions?
Thanks

If you use a DC5R flywheel, you need to get the DC5R exedy clutch. The diameter of the DC5R and Euro's friction area on the flywheel are different so you need matching parts.

integral90
29-09-2009, 12:23 PM
Hey,
Thanks

As Aaron said about the friction point...

Talk to Yonas at JDMYard about the flywheel/clutch

Daleyb93
08-03-2013, 10:51 PM
Sorry to dig up the past, I'm looking at the Exedy Billet flywheel (this one as an example: http://jdmaccessories.com.au/?product=exedy-billet-racing-flywheel ).
Just wondering if I would need to replace the clutch if I was to get the flywheel designed for k24.
Cheers for the help.

Dale(stillanoob)

vaikis
09-03-2013, 12:00 AM
I used jdm DC5R flywheel - too light flywheel isn't very friendly ;)

aaronng
09-03-2013, 08:41 AM
Sorry to dig up the past, I'm looking at the Exedy Billet flywheel (this one as an example: http://jdmaccessories.com.au/?product=exedy-billet-racing-flywheel ).
Just wondering if I would need to replace the clutch if I was to get the flywheel designed for k24.
Cheers for the help.

Dale(stillanoob)
Find out the flywheel friction area diameter. The K24 flywheel is 225mm. The K20 flywheel is 215mm.

fatboyz39
09-03-2013, 09:57 AM
Using K20 flywheel will open up more options to clutch kit replacements. If your stuck and on a budget AUDM K20 flywheel will suffice (lighter then EURO). As for clutch, heavy duty or sports organic if in doubt go for OEM replacment (it will be dependent on application you intend to use the car)

Daleyb93
09-03-2013, 10:11 AM
Yeah I am on a budget LOL! You guys picked it, so what you're saying is that it's not worth doing the flywheel on it's own?
I just figured the Exedy one would be a direct swap because it's listed as suitable for the k24, if it wasn't you could use just about any flywheel or clutch couldn't you? (Provided the basic sizes worked)

I guess my question really is: What is the best budget lightened flywheel I can get without changing my clutch?

Thanks as always,
Dale.