PDA

View Full Version : Sub and Amp q

Missy
16-11-2004, 02:11 PM
from my amp thread i'm guessing everyones missing.

Current setup is a panasonic head unit (JB and some other places are selling it for 400 at the mo it's a motorised one with rotary volume) the 4inch 40w RMS 2way kickers in the front and some 40w RMS sony 6x9's in the back.

So got some fill sound now but still nothing in the bass department, the 6x9's don't put out near as muhc bass as the kenwwods in bf's car. Anyway that's eaten up quite a bit of the money but still have a few hundred left for bass.

Don't need some top quality or way loud bass so i'm tending to look at the cheap side for it.

See in te latest JB Hi-FI log they have 2 cheap amps a Solid Audio 150W x 2 for $77 and an Audioline 200W x 2 for $97. Bf says sounds from them wouldn't be great seein how cheap they are but it should be fine for a sub and should expect to get 120 - 150w RMS brdiged from each one with the AUdoline probably giving slighty more... They got some 12inch 250w kickers for 84 bucks he says will prob handle around 150 RMS so would either of those amps be ok for running that?

Also see they got a Pioneer (XSL121P5) 12inch 800w (400w RMS) sub in box for $177 and a Sony 12 inch 1200w (350w RMS) sub in a Sony box for $187. I'm guessing these are better then that cheap kicker sub.... and would either of those cheap amps be okay for these subs or is the power they'd give too low it would damage the sub? They got a 4Ch version of those amps for about double the cost of the 2Ch one, would either of those have sufficient power to run one of those boxed subs... can you even bridge a 4Ch amp to 1 Ch....

Like I said dont need hi impact or really loud bass just some good decent bass, bf's cheaped cylinder sub was only 80 bucks or something and I quite like the bass from it so the sound from those cheap amps and a cheap sub should keep me happy shouldn't it.....

bungsai
16-11-2004, 05:28 PM
If you are after cheap get the kicker sub and put 150w RMS into it. That what i had in my swift and it was a whole lot more than just a bit of bass. I installed it with a cadence amp (max 300, 150 constant) into my friends 3rd gen prelude and it sounds schmick. I've been told that the sony is only good if you put a lot of power into it...so if you aren't going for insano loudness then dont bother, the kicker will be more then enough for you.

My friend also has 2 of those pioneers. I do beleive he is only putting 200 constant into each one, and that is in a camry....the are great for loudness, not so much for sq, but i think they might need a more powerful amp, hence higher costs.

IMO If you can afford it get the cadence amp i got, its at jb, its the smallest cadence amp, and bridge it to power a kicker sub. Good sq, good bass. Then again im probably biased since that is what i was given, and its worked great so far...

Missy
16-11-2004, 06:22 PM
Hmmm might get that kicker in a box and one of those $99 audoline amps it should be closer to 150w bridged then the $79 one.

Actually now that I was toying at hooking the speakers upto an amp then adding a sub later might just do that and get 4ch audioline for $188 and just bridge 2 of the ch for the sub when i get it later.

bungsai
16-11-2004, 07:54 PM
when i had my car i had a subbie and a set of blaupunk splits running off the HU....i always wished i had a four channel amp, bridge 2 channels for the subbie, and have the other two for the front stage.

I like you're ideas!! Im not too sure about the audioline stuff...i havnt heard of any problems, just been advised that i probably wont get the best longevity or sq out of one. Also look around on firesport, and other car forums. People are always selling stereo gear. JB Hi-Fi is rip off central IMHO

mojo the flashy monkey
17-11-2004, 07:30 PM
lolz u intetested im 2 10" jl w0 series subs in box? pm me if u are