PDA

View Full Version : What SUB should i get?

TEG01
25-09-2009, 10:25 AM
hey guys

I've been thinking to get a sub priced around $400~500, but i can't decide what to get. I've been thinking either the

Alpine type r SWR 1242D
or
JL sub within that price range

(Also just to let you know that the sub will be powered by a V12 MRD-1005)

What should I get :confused:, or what do you guys recommend me.

thanks

ICACHA
25-09-2009, 11:16 AM
the one that goes *doof* :)

will.i.am
25-09-2009, 03:57 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Alpine-Type-X-12-1000-WATT-RMS_W0QQitemZ300350337604QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Car _Parts_Accessories?hash=item45ee467244&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

push for a little more cash and get a alpine type X... the best sub around RRp is almost aroung $900 but u can get them much less new... just make sure u have a big monblock to run it....

euro_tr4sh
25-09-2009, 08:19 PM
i work at an alpine dealer, the type r is a MUCH better all round sub, the x is very lacking in out put and with a bit more thought put into installation and box design the type r usually sounds as-better than the X... and there is much much more and better to be had in the type x price range so no offence to will.i.am but just cos something is the top of a companies line doesnt mean its the best (ie. if given the choice, id rather type r splits over type x reference splits, the reference sound like absolute ass!... type x pro's arn't too bad though), but its good to see their marketing ploys at work on the masses

will.i.am
26-09-2009, 04:59 AM
i work at an alpine dealer, the type r is a MUCH better all round sub, the x is very lacking in out put and with a bit more thought put into installation and box design the type r usually sounds as-better than the X... and there is much much more and better to be had in the type x price range so no offence to will.i.am but just cos something is the top of a companies line doesnt mean its the best (ie. if given the choice, id rather type r splits over type x reference splits, the reference sound like absolute ass!... type x pro's arn't too bad though), but its good to see their marketing ploys at work on the masses

if u work for an alpine dealer ull realize than bottom end performance theyll most likely be the same but with the right power for a decent amp the type X shit on it.... i had 2 type Rs in 1 of my cars and swapd with the type x... after tunning it sound was perfect... the bass was much clearer, punchy wen it needed to be and bassy too.... the type r cant handle the big power...

TEG01
26-09-2009, 12:25 PM
thanks guys

may consider the type x, cause im pretty sure that my mono block (alpine v12 MRD-1005) can handle the power, i hope :eek:, then if not getting the type r

ICACHA
26-09-2009, 07:47 PM
you mean dish out the power, then yes. put a single type r to that amp and you might want to think about getting into cooking :)

euro_tr4sh
26-09-2009, 07:49 PM
if u work for an alpine dealer ull realize than bottom end performance theyll most likely be the same but with the right power for a decent amp the type X shit on it.... i had 2 type Rs in 1 of my cars and swapd with the type x... after tunning it sound was perfect... the bass was much clearer, punchy wen it needed to be and bassy too.... the type r cant handle the big power...

yeh man, your right.... i only deal with these products day in day out, every day of the week for the last 3 years, what would i know... your single encounter which is obviously what your basing your advice on is much more helpful.... listen to this guy every one, it costs more and is top of the line so it must be the best!.... im now adding you to my list of "car audio idiots" on this forum, enjoy your stay

Joe Bellissimo
26-09-2009, 08:45 PM
One of my customers had a Type X and was not happy with it at all, the output was lacking apparently.

As I told you earlier, I believe VIBE would give you much better value for money.

arverson
27-09-2009, 08:33 AM
dont limit yourself to alpine

at this pricepoint, and considering the perceptions of type-x's, theres so many others id rather have.. id, dd, dls, treo, boston to name a few

but looks like you've made your mind up anyway

xclusive_eg8
27-09-2009, 08:44 AM
go MTX bro.......they just sound so solid and proper bass when needed..kenwood is cheap but hits out some rough bass, which is good if you wana be bumpin through the valley like a MC

ICACHA
28-09-2009, 11:27 AM
One of my customers had a Type X and was not happy with it at all, the output was lacking apparently.

As I told you earlier, I believe VIBE would give you much better value for money.

Sorry to sound like a broken down record player, but the thing that you all haven't realised "I think" is that the Type X requires a truck load of power to move (do any of you know anything about motor structures?) so saying one of your customers wasn't happy isn't being fair to the Type X. You really need to give more particulars than just "lacking output and a vibe would be better value", that is a crock of sh!t.

Lacking output and value have nothing to do with one another. One thing you also might not know is that it's the application rather than this brand or that brand. Sure more expensive products are better than cheaper ones, but a cheaper product installed and run (amplification) correctly will in most cases out perform the expensive products incorrectly installed. So maybe stop being a salesperson (leave that to your sponsors section) and ask questions over giving out false answers as that would be the nicer thing to do. Plus if you dont know the answers to the questions that are asked then you're in the wrong business... Sorry.

That is all...

Joe Bellissimo
28-09-2009, 11:38 AM
The two statements I made were not in relation, hence the space between them. The first line was feedback from a customer of mine and the second line was my opinion of what they both offer dollar for dollar. I'm sure I'm entitled to an opinion. Rather than start a flame war if you want to know the justification behind the statement, send me a PM or add me to MSN so we don't clutter up this thread.

I hope to hear from you soon.

ICACHA
29-09-2009, 09:21 AM
i dont start flame wars, i walk a straight line :)

will.i.am
01-10-2009, 01:23 PM
few reviews here....

http://www0.epinions.com/reviews/pr-Alpine_Type-X_SWX-1242D_12_Dual_4-ohm_Component_Subwoofer_12_Component_Subwoofers_Ca r

some other opinions for you....

TEG01
01-10-2009, 04:14 PM
thanks
will.i.am

and thanks to all the other guys :thumbsup:

will.i.am
01-10-2009, 09:03 PM
thanks
will.i.am

and thanks to all the other guys :thumbsup:

no worries mate, GL with the setup

Frost_FD
09-10-2009, 01:32 PM
Get the TYPE R, i got one in a ported box.
Its mad, havent looked back.

GIPONU
09-10-2009, 09:00 PM
i got a 8" shallow clarion sub. sounds like a 12" just that the cars in front of me dont hear it. plus it doesnt take up any room.

Joe Bellissimo
09-10-2009, 09:11 PM
i got a 8" shallow clarion sub. sounds like a 12" just that the cars in front of me dont hear it. plus it doesnt take up any room.

I'm not having a go at you or anything but I highly doubt what you just said is possible... an 8" is incapable of going as deep as a similarly powered 12" because of the lack of surface area.

ICACHA
11-10-2009, 01:59 PM
there is on person who 'thinks' that vision can be blurred with an 8", maybe right in front of the eyes HAHAHAHAHA

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showpost.php?p=318139&postcount=71

i'm like an elephant, i dont forget things :)

GIPONU
11-10-2009, 03:44 PM
I'm not having a go at you or anything but I highly doubt what you just said is possible... an 8" is incapable of going as deep as a similarly powered 12" because of the lack of surface area.
deepness isnt as much, its alrite for just listening,not for like comps of anything. it still gives a good hit with a decent powered amp. its not crazy like a 12"

there is on person who 'thinks' that vision can be blurred with an 8", maybe right in front of the eyes HAHAHAHAHA

i'm like an elephant, i dont forget things :)

errrr. the mirror vibrates if that statement was talking about the mirror blurring...

tron07
12-10-2009, 08:38 AM
even with 5" you can blur visions.... hook up lots of em to make then loud enough to cause a headache....

Joe Bellissimo
12-10-2009, 11:12 AM
I wonder if you could blur vision with an array of supertweeters...

ICACHA
12-10-2009, 04:34 PM
you'd hurt your ears more than blur anything LMAO

Joe Bellissimo
12-10-2009, 04:45 PM
Yes but the pain would disappear very quickly as you fainted :P

Tw-38
24-10-2009, 12:37 AM
high power tweeter + high power sub = suicide motor......= ="