PDA

View Full Version : Muffler Question

AbzMina
27-09-2009, 12:43 AM
Hi, would it be stupid to put a canon on an integra type s? from what ive seen canons are put on cars like lancers.....whats the difference between a normal oval muffler and a canon?

Does one of them get more power than the other? how does the sound vary between the two types? and in the oval mufflers, do they let the exhaust come straight through like the canon or is it blocked?

thanx:thumbsup:

dougie_504
27-09-2009, 01:05 AM
One of those big 4" cannons? It just has a fat asshole sound lol.

The oval or round mufflers' performance aren't affected by their shape. The only thing that will affect performance is your exhaust manifold (header), catalytic converter (between header and cat-back), and cat-back (exhaust pipe from catalytic converter to the muffler tip).

So yeah the tip itself is more for looks/sound, but ultimately won't affect performance. As far as tips go just get whatever looks best to you :)

DLO01
27-09-2009, 07:43 AM
Hi, would it be stupid to put a canon on an integra type s? from what ive seen canons are put on cars like lancers.....whats the difference between a normal oval muffler and a canon?

Its only stupid if you think its stupid. Generally the larger the casing the more quiet the muffler is. That being said an oval has the larger casing and therefore will be quieter. This also depends on the different manufacturers as their construction is different, as in baffeling, and weather its is true straight through design or if it tappers in. Lots of variables if you really look in to it.

Does one of them get more power than the other? how does the sound vary between the two types? and in the oval mufflers, do they let the exhaust come straight through like the canon or is it blocked?

thanx:thumbsup:

All cannon types are straight though design. Some ovals are straight through, some have chambers. As I said above, some are not true straight through design and do tapper in (narrow). This does keep it more quiet but also restrict at the same time. Its best to go down have a look at the products and choose what you want.

SHU-ES1
27-09-2009, 11:10 AM
^^ Is true. The bigger the muffler, generally means the more quiet it is. Depends on what you want sound or performance. Get some sort of straight through muffler is the best way to go, and pick the size of the muffler depending on the sound you want - oval or round, it doesn't really matter. Will you change the rest of your system, or just the muffler on the end? If its just the end, you're only after sound and make sure you find something you like. If you're going to do re-do the whole system, upgrade on the sizing and go with the straight through mufflers/resonators. ie. Magnaflow mufflers are awesome!

I got 2.25" Magnaflow catback, and it's brilliant! Not as loud as my old Apexi N1.

AbzMina
28-09-2009, 12:21 AM
thanx guys...i plan to get the whole system done...im just unsure about the muffler. i plan to get a varex muffler, just not sure if i want the oval or the canon. I will have to ring them and clarify a few more things, thanks for the suggestions.