PDA

View Full Version : hooking up a game console

FASN8U
27-09-2009, 05:27 PM
so basicaly i got a screen in my car, i want to hook up a super nintendo or sega up to it . i no il never realy use it but itl look cool and abit different to everyone with ps3's and xbox's. i no i just need to connect the rear AV ports but where the hell do i get my source of power from? and how?

as you can tell im pretty noob with electronics and stuff so keep it in english lol:thumbsup:

riruiz_88
27-09-2009, 05:36 PM
as you know you need 240V to supply power to the game console. you will need an inverter to jump 12V to 240V. you wouldnt need a very big one as you will only be running the game console.
inverters can be quite heavy and big in size.
you can get one from Jaycar.

aaronng
27-09-2009, 05:57 PM
as you know you need 240V to supply power to the game console. you will need an inverter to jump 12V to 240V. you wouldnt need a very big one as you will only be running the game console.
inverters can be quite heavy and big in size.
you can get one from Jaycar.

He doesn't need to. Megadrives and SNES uses a wall wart power adapter to get it from 240V down to a lower voltage before going into the console. So if he finds out what is the correct voltage and current, he can buy different inverter to get from 12V to whatever voltage he needs by using an adapter plug to go straight into the back of the console.

riruiz_88
28-09-2009, 07:24 AM
thats tru, but as he said he isnt electrically minded.
if you read behind the console some where, it should say what input voltage it needs as well as current rating. then all you need to do is find a supply that fits those specs.

BIGTYM
28-09-2009, 09:25 AM
Please put a SNES. So much cooler than a megadrive. 3 words. Super Mario Bros.

FASN8U
29-09-2009, 06:31 PM
thanks for the help guys.
supernintendo FTW , donkey kong country!

will.i.am
01-10-2009, 01:10 PM
Please put a SNES. So much cooler than a megadrive. 3 words. Super Mario Bros.

i beleive battletoads was the best followed closely by ninja turtles on the NES....

NES is good to coz u its small and easy to mount and cartridge insert is from the front :)

i installed a slim PS2 in my mates car and we found a cigarete lighter power supply for it on ebay and cut the end off and spliced it to accessories... worked well, i think the slim ps2 was designed on 12v power supply anyway so its easy...

FASN8U
01-10-2009, 07:19 PM
ohhh so the ciggarete plug will be enough to power a super ninendo?
so what exactly sorta plug do i need? and how do i splice it?
sorry like i sed im a noob with electronics!

riruiz_88
01-10-2009, 07:26 PM
yes you can get 12V from the cigarette lighter. only thing is it will look messy/cluttered with the wire being visible. or you could get 12V from your interior fuse box, there are terminals there.

have you found out the following for the console:
1) what is the supply voltage?
2) what is the current supply for the console?

once you find out these things you can go shopping for the necessary cables for the install.