PDA

View Full Version : Engine wieghts

MWAKU
27-09-2009, 07:41 PM
Does anyone know where i can find specifications on the weights of individual australian honda engines? (had a look at some wiki, don't have wieghts)

reason for this is just wondering how much a h22a would weight and a k24 aswell, seeing how people are saying how h22a causes suspension issues in an EG, but then again a lot of people are opting to do k20/k24 conversions.

bennjamin
27-09-2009, 08:40 PM
havent heard that one....the only real issue iever ever heard of the h22a , is the low slung sump and its corresponding issues with a EG/EK or DC chassis. That is , it hangs too low.

rayb3na_
27-09-2009, 08:47 PM
Does anyone know where i can find specifications on the weights of individual australian honda engines? (had a look at some wiki, don't have wieghts)

reason for this is just wondering how much a h22a would weight and a k24 aswell, seeing how people are saying how h22a causes suspension issues in an EG, but then again a lot of people are opting to do k20/k24 conversions.

k series have an aluminium block where as i believe the b series are cast iron.. well at least thats what ive been told.

SPEEDCORE
27-09-2009, 09:14 PM
People have been telling you porkie pies then.

simonnowis
27-09-2009, 09:28 PM
according to this--> http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=684550
h22 is 35 pounds heavier than b series, which is around 15kg. someone with a h series could save that weight by using a cf bonnet.
as for throwing off steering balance, i think its just internet bs.

MWAKU
27-09-2009, 09:40 PM
K20A isn't really worth it man. You'd have to fork out like $10k minimum to get the conversion done (assuming you're paying somebody else) so yeah I reckon there's plenty of options in the B Family.
H22A is probably too heavy and would affect your handling in an EG, and if you wanna make you're car quicker handling is probably a better area to focus. If you want to just go in a straight line then sure go for a H22A for driving around corners quickly it's probably not a great idea.

for example, i've seen this said a few times around the forum, or maybe its just him repeating himself around the forum

guessing that some people don't know what they r on about and spreading misleading information. but yeah, does it cause problems on the CV joints or something? thats what someone else said, since its heavy. :S

but yeah thanks for the information guys, guessing there isn't a table or something about engine wieghts or a site that has specific engine weights when stock.

BTW great link simonnowis!

simonnowis
27-09-2009, 09:57 PM
he said "probably" which basically means its information passed onto him or his own assumptions. people who actually have h22a under the hood will be able to give real experience. hopefully ill be able to tell you one day ;).
I think the problem with straight h22a is the position of the engine, low ground clearance and axle angles, you can tell from engine bay pics.
the h2b which supposedly allows for straight oem position axles require spacing the bonnet, whereas straight h22a the bonnet closes without problems, even allows for a strut brace.
overall i think h22a/b20 vtec give the k series a run for their money.

MWAKU
28-09-2009, 12:09 AM
hmms some interesting stuff. thanks for the info. wil be waiting for ur h22 :D

vinnY
28-09-2009, 12:12 AM
afaik it wasn't the weight of the h22 which was the issue, just position of engine in the bay which threw it off

SHOGUNOVDDRK
28-09-2009, 12:15 AM
afaik it wasn't the weight of the h22 which was the issue, just position of engine in the bay which threw it off

:thumbsup:

I heard both but delved more into it recently and it was more the position.

tangyoonee
03-06-2010, 09:48 AM
he said "probably" which basically means its information passed onto him or his own assumptions. people who actually have h22a under the hood will be able to give real experience. hopefully ill be able to tell you one day ;).
I think the problem with straight h22a is the position of the engine, low ground clearance and axle angles, you can tell from engine bay pics.
the h2b which supposedly allows for straight oem position axles require spacing the bonnet, whereas straight h22a the bonnet closes without problems, even allows for a strut brace.
overall i think h22a/b20 vtec give the k series a run for their money.

How much would h2b cost?