PDA

View Full Version : timing belt, how do i know to do it?

clutch
29-09-2009, 07:16 PM
hey guys, i have a 92 eg civic with 167k on the dial, is there any easy way to tell if the timing belt is up to date? ive only had the car about a month so i have no idea when it was last done. also, what do they usualy cost to get done?

cheers

riruiz_88
29-09-2009, 07:36 PM
timing belt is usually done every 100,000km. but i have read in some cases that it can snap much earlier than this. its best to replace it if you dont know when the last time it was changed.
you should also replace: water pump, power steering belt, air con belt, alternator belt, cam seals. i know its gonna cost alot, but its better than sending the car back to the mechanic several times to replace one or two at a time. labour is hell expensive when this is done.

what i got done: timing belt, air con belt, power steering belt, alternator belt, water pump, cam seals, cam cover gasket, spark plug gaskets, CV boots, steering boots. got these done roughly 1.5 years ago, for about $700-$800 just for labour. i provided everything i wanted replaced, except for timing belt.
hope this sheds some rough estimate for you.

SuiJin
29-09-2009, 07:37 PM
you can tell usually on the timing cover there's a date of when it was changed if it was changed usually if it was done by a mechanic, to get it done might cost a fAir bit because mechs hate playing with it while its in the car. i know cause when i did my transplant, i could see how much you need to undo and do up when my engine was out.

jks24
30-09-2009, 01:32 PM
every 5 years or 100000kms, i just did mine in my em1 which was 5 years old and had only done 20000kms in those 5 years. Just do it for peace of mind....better to be safe than sorry

TheGoodDeal
30-09-2009, 02:23 PM
The only way you want saving $$$ is open the open the timing belt Upper cover and inspect it for any cracks, missing tooths, oil or coolant soaked by rotate the crank pulley anti clockwise. I changed my timing belt 2 years ago for $280.

4age8u
01-10-2009, 11:39 AM
my old car had done 268,000 timing belt was changed at 100,000 and it was still going lol

archontireq
05-10-2009, 12:03 AM
unless you know when the last change was, the only way, for certain, is to get it done. I know my father purchased the CRX that is now mine, and never changed the belt. Not long before i was going to change the belt myself (june this year) my mum was driving it, and it snapped. Its cost me over $3000 and its still off the road, because i have had to replace the head.

it would have cost less than $200 to do it 12 months ago, and maybe $400 if i sent it to a mechanic...

jks24
05-10-2009, 09:16 AM
unless you know when the last change was, the only way, for certain, is to get it done. I know my father purchased the CRX that is now mine, and never changed the belt. Not long before i was going to change the belt myself (june this year) my mum was driving it, and it snapped. Its cost me over $3000 and its still off the road, because i have had to replace the head.

it would have cost less than $200 to do it 12 months ago, and maybe $400 if i sent it to a mechanic...

i know its important to change it but can you tell me in detail exactly what happens when the belt breaks?

grifty
05-10-2009, 10:21 AM
When a timing belt breaks, the camshaft stops turning leaving some of the valves in the open position. The crankshaft, because it's heavier, continues to rotate by inertia. In an interference engine, this will cause the pistons to strike the valves that left open. This may result in broken or bent valves, damaged pistons, and possibly, destroyed cylinder head.

taken from http://www.samarins.com/glossary/timing_belt.html

4age8u
05-10-2009, 11:56 AM
When a timing belt breaks, the camshaft stops turning leaving some of the valves in the open position. The crankshaft, because it's heavier, continues to rotate by inertia. In an interference engine, this will cause the pistons to strike the valves that left open. This may result in broken or bent valves, damaged pistons, and possibly, destroyed cylinder head.

taken from http://www.samarins.com/glossary/timing_belt.html

not always on some motors all you have to do is put a new 1 on and correct the timing and your fine again

riruiz_88
05-10-2009, 03:04 PM
as he said, it happened in an interference engine.
non-interference engines have a better chance of having less damage when belt snaps.

SuiJin
05-10-2009, 03:06 PM
i got my b18c done for 250 for labour. cam seal crank seal timing belt tensioner waterpump rear main and head gasket. im supplying parts. also engine's not in the car. :D

Limbo
06-10-2009, 12:25 PM
don't b cheap or it can b an expensive lesson

archontireq
06-10-2009, 12:57 PM
the damage can be much more severe depending on the rpm, for example, piston damage, the pistons can move the head which will put stress all through the block.

also the cams almost always bend, which will wapr the head a bit.

its not only an expensive lesson but also timely. and its a lesson hard learnt, and not a mistake ill ever be making again