PDA

View Full Version : Honda VT400

EuroAccord13
02-10-2009, 09:14 PM
I just got myself the new Honda VT400 today.... Can't wait to pick it up tomorrow :D....

http://liveimages.redbook.com.au/bikesales/bike/spec/HOND0150.jpg

Zilli
03-10-2009, 09:10 AM
nice mate!

i just went and checked one out the other day when buying parts... ive got the vt750c2... i think theyve got the same frames...

let us know what its like!

EuroAccord13
04-10-2009, 12:06 AM
Well, picked up the bike today~~~~~ :D

It's bigger than the 250C, it's exactly the same size as the 750 Shadow....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/EuroAccord13/VT400/Perp1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/EuroAccord13/VT400/Side.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/EuroAccord13/VT400/SideLow.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/EuroAccord13/VT400/Garage1.jpg

Zilli
06-10-2009, 07:13 AM
nice! time for some pipes

how does she go?

wynode
06-10-2009, 12:11 PM
wow that's a big looking bike Nick!

EuroAccord13
06-10-2009, 02:38 PM
It is indeed a huge bike for my small frame boss ~~~

The bike goes alright.. I've only done 60kms on it so far LOL... quite torquey I must say, got a soft rumble when I accelerate, feels stable at 100km/h.

I'm not a bike guru but I was told that since it's shaft driven, I should try and keep the gear in neutral if I am stopped at the lights to prolong the life of the shaft, can someone enlighten me on this?

Zilli
06-10-2009, 04:56 PM
For what it its worth I haven't heard anything regarding this. The shaft doesn't get exposed to pressure unless the bike is in gear and the clutch engaged... Whenever you are stopped at the lights the clutch will be disengaged...

EuroAccord13
20-10-2009, 08:40 PM
250kms later and I'm still trying to work out approximately how many RPMs I'm at relative to the exhaust note LOL...

Been practising a bit on hill starts... So far so good...

Looking at buying a tacho, saw a Cobra brand and a Baron's Custom brand, but they only go up to 8000RPM, I'm quite sure my Shadow revs higher than 8000RPM....

nikdevid
23-11-2009, 09:40 PM
Honda's VT400 is proving to be a winner with both LAMS riders as well as those wanting classic cruiser styling at a price that won't break the bank.The chrome laden VT400 now comes in a two tone Pearl Sunbeam White and Silver colour scheme.The VT400 cruiser is an uncluttered masterpiece, offering a compliant ride with precise control whilst requiring little in the way of maintenance.

Twincam16
23-11-2009, 10:33 PM
Honda's VT400 is proving to be a winner with both LAMS riders as well as those wanting classic cruiser styling at a price that won't break the bank.The chrome laden VT400 now comes in a two tone Pearl Sunbeam White and Silver colour scheme.The VT400 cruiser is an uncluttered masterpiece, offering a compliant ride with precise control whilst requiring little in the way of maintenance.

Featuring a tear-drop style tank and a bullet headlight casing, the VT400 provides a road presence not commonly found on an entry level bike.

The bike sports a liquid-cooled V-twin 398cc engine producing smooth power and plenty of torque in the low-mid range. The smaller displacement engine also provides excellent fuel economy and lower emissions by using the latest fuel injection technology.

The VT400 also comes equipped with Honda's Ignition Security System (HISS), strengthened handle lock mechanism and heavy-duty key cylinder.

The accessory list is equally well thought out and includes a chrome backrest, chrome rear carrier, leather saddle bags, chrome ornaments for front and rear guards, backrest plate, body cover and windscreen.

RRP for the VT400 is $9990 including GST (excluding stamp duty and Dealer delivery).

:p

EuroAccord13
28-11-2009, 11:09 AM

Woah and we've got reviews of the bikes :D...

Please list the source of your reviews hehehehehehe........

My review after 650kms is...... Fuel consumption is not too bad.... doing around 4.5-4.7 litres per 100km.... Still running the engine in so maybe it will improve even further...

trickedoutvt400
18-04-2010, 05:29 PM
hey guys, i own one of these bikes and i must say they are awesome to ride, the sound reminds me of the bugetti veyron and the handleing is quite good ive only had mine for 1 week but its already run in at 2000kms i found fuel consumption to be quite good i did 250kms the other day on a little under a 1/4 of a tank and that was including hill climbs.

EuroAccord13 where are you located cause me and a mate are heading out this sunday for a ride and would love another vt to tag along

soxOZ
02-07-2010, 09:06 PM
i found fuel consumption to be quite good i did 250kms the other day on a little under a 1/4 of a tank and that was including hill climbs.

Hi, I was just wondering if that was a typo as to get 250km from a 1/4 of a tank (3.5gal capacity) would equate to approx 62km/litre (1.6l / 100km) or 176mpg.
Now I know that there good but there not that good as those figures just don't seem feasable...

I love the bikes as I got a Spirit VT750C2 (same physical size as the VT400) and just l can't get off of it... LOL...
But I'm getting around 4.2l / 100km (23km / litre) or 66mpg...

bennjamin
03-07-2010, 10:24 AM
Def typo - but your 4.2l is impressive - I have a cb400 and can't seem to scrape under 6l/100. Not impressed at all

soxOZ
03-07-2010, 02:19 PM
Def typo - but your 4.2l is impressive - I have a cb400 and can't seem to scrape under 6l/100. Not impressed at all

Well I don't think that I would be impressed either using 6l/100...
My wifes Yamaha Virago uses about 3.6l/100km (250cc), so when I got 4.2l it blew me away, I was expecting between 5-6l/100km from my 750...
I kept a log for over a 1000km and the best I got was 4.05l/100km and the worst was 4.7l/100km (just after I modified the exhaust) so I rode it with a little more throttle that tankful, :o LOL...
But averaged 4.2 over that time excluding the period testing the exhaust note... But other than that time it avg 4.2l... I believe if we rode together on a constant throttle the smaller 400 should get better fuel economy, but varying speeds the 750 only needs a small throttle opening to get it going and this may be where it's getting better economy... But 6l/100km doesn't sound right, did you go back to the Stealership and ask them to check it, or contact Honda directly about this...

Zilli
04-07-2010, 09:59 PM
i 250kms at the most out of a full tank on my VT750c2

trickedoutvt400
04-08-2010, 06:32 AM
hey yeah it was a typo im getting about 260km out of a tank

jbird
10-08-2010, 02:04 PM
the sound reminds me of the bugetti veyron

sorry. what? LOL

Those VT's are sweet, I've wanted to buy a VT600/750 and bobber it

marksef
06-09-2010, 08:59 PM
Does anyone know where to find decent saddlebags to fit my VT400 that dont cost over $1000?

WolfishGrin
29-10-2010, 11:07 PM
Does anyone know where to find decent saddlebags to fit my VT400 that dont cost over $1000?

http://www.taylormotorcycles.com.au/hi/honda/accessories/shop/42-Hardware/1571-WILLIE_AND_MAX_SB709_FLEET_SIDE_SLANT/

The guys at Geoff Taylors Motorcycles are unbelievably nice. They'ree really great, and have been fantastic in how they've looked after me (all round in service and pricing). I've just bought the 2010 VT400 in two-tone blue/silver from them, and just waiting on delivery (though apparently it has been dispatched already). Then there is the customisation, including the saddle bags. I chose the ones in the link above, which are larger than I imagined, and not over the top with village people style tassles...in other words, nice and simple without being too plain/ or over-the-top poncy.

These Saddlebags are about $400, but then so are the brackets, so looking about $800 total. That's under $1K, as requested!

PS: This is the colour scheme I'm getting for my new baby Shadow:

musthaveshadow
26-11-2010, 01:26 PM
hey guys,

I'm very keen to buy a vt400 myself. I've searched the web a bit for dealers in Sydney (ideally close to eastern suburbs), but haven't found one that really stood out in terms of comments/reviews. Could any of you recommend a/the dealership where you bought yours? be great, thanks!!

WolfishGrin
08-01-2011, 08:10 PM
Ok, after a couple of drops while riding through the twisties on the Black Spur...fortunately not serious and at low speeds, I think it's time to get crash bars fitted. Googling them, I can't see any specific for the VT400 and wondered if there was much difference with the 750 compatible frames? Does anyone know if these are easy enough to fit myself (as I am definitely not mechanically minded, by the way, so "idiot friendly" is what I'm asking)? Also, what could I expect to pay for a decent set plus installation if I were to get it done professionally?

zack9
15-08-2011, 09:26 PM
Ok, after a couple of drops while riding through the twisties

Hi all,

I am new here and new to riding at 48. Atm I only have an auto license, however this will end in a few months after which I am unrestricted.

Anyway, I am looking for a manual bike and liked the idea of this VT400, as I have read some reviews that it handles well and its not super fast. Both these things suit me.

I note that it is quite heavy compared to other medium cruisers and now reading how WolfishGrin dropped his bike a few times I was after some advice.

Is this bike suitable for a new rider, taking into consideration its size & weight ?

Is the bike easy to drop ?

Sorry if these questions sound stupid, but I think its better to ask these of the real people, the owners & not sales people or online reviews.

Thanks in advance.

soxOZ
15-08-2011, 11:22 PM
Hi all,

I am new here and new to riding at 48. Atm I only have an auto license, however this will end in a few months after which I am unrestricted.

Anyway, I am looking for a manual bike and liked the idea of this VT400, as I have read some reviews that it handles well and its not super fast. Both these things suit me.

I note that it is quite heavy compared to other medium cruisers and now reading how WolfishGrin dropped his bike a few times I was after some advice.

Is this bike suitable for a new rider, taking into consideration its size & weight ?

Is the bike easy to drop ?

Sorry if these questions sound stupid, but I think its better to ask these of the real people, the owners & not sales people or online reviews.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Zack, I own a 2010 VT750C2 and basically the VT400 & VT750 are the same bikes except for the engine capacity. Both engines are the same physical size externally but have different displacements (e.g. 400 to 750).

Personally I think that this has to be one of the most easiest and stable bikes around to ride. It has an extremely low C of G and as soon as you start to move it just sits upright.

As for dropping them, well this can be put down usually to rider error, more than a problem with the bike. But going very slow (5-10mph) doing a tight turn can cause a small amount of instability, but this is the only time I have noticed it, and is usually a common condition in most cruiser styled bikes with extended forks, but it has never caused me any problems. In fact this bike is more stable to ride than my wife’s Yamaha Virago 250.

What you need to do is stop worrying about this; this bike is perfect for a beginner. The only other bikes in this range is the Yamaha V-Star 650, but just buy the bike you like and want, get out on it and get the experience and fun riding it.
Good Luck with it all...

zack9
16-08-2011, 07:09 PM
Hi SoxOz,

Thanks for the reply. As I said I am an older new rider, and yes the VT400 looks very sweet.

I notice here in NSW they are hard to find secon hand. Because of that I was looking at a Hyosung gv250 which is not as weighty as the Honda but I might be able to handle better.

Mind you, the Hyosung would be settling for seconds but it might be a way of learning better and then moving to the Honda. I really like the style of the Honda, it has the lower seat height and isnt a super powerful bike for an old bloke.

Because I am still on my auto license, I cant test ride it. I nwould just buy either the Hyosung or Honda, take it to the sisters place down south where she has a huge area and do all my practice there. I have been to HART and got a 1 hour lesson on a manual and could go around their track OK so I just need to practice myself.

Yes, I think if money wasnt an issue, the Honda would be my pick.

soxOZ
16-08-2011, 08:20 PM
Hi SoxOz,

Thanks for the reply. As I said I am an older new rider, and yes the VT400 looks very sweet.

I notice here in NSW they are hard to find secon hand. Because of that I was looking at a Hyosung gv250 which is not as weighty as the Honda but I might be able to handle better.

Mind you, the Hyosung would be settling for seconds but it might be a way of learning better and then moving to the Honda. I really like the style of the Honda, it has the lower seat height and isnt a super powerful bike for an old bloke.

Because I am still on my auto license, I cant test ride it. I nwould just buy either the Hyosung or Honda, take it to the sisters place down south where she has a huge area and do all my practice there. I have been to HART and got a 1 hour lesson on a manual and could go around their track OK so I just need to practice myself.

Yes, I think if money wasnt an issue, the Honda would be my pick.

:D... LOL... Sorry but had to laugh, Old bloke at 48, really... I'm 60 and riding every minute I can...
But the final choice is your, but just remember, it can sometimes be hard to sell 2nd hand 250cc bike and you could loose more than you think... Just saying...

These Honda Shadows are hard to beat... Just love it...

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h137/sox-OZ/Rides%20Album/DC7_7396_12653c02.jpg

zack9
16-08-2011, 09:18 PM
Hi Sox,

Just wondering if you have been riding for long ?

By the way, that is a very lovely looking bike.

I take your point about the 250's and add to that that the Hyosungs are even harder to resell. That said, something like an xvs 650 would probably be too much power & scare the crap out of me. On various forums around the place, 250's are often recommended as good learner size bikes.

Still, I will keep buying those lotto tickets, maybe I can jag a few thousand to go Honda shopping with . My kids keep telling me I'm way over to be on 2 wheels (lol), but I still dont feel old and I've always wanted to ride a bike, just commuter stuff, just never got around to it.

soxOZ
17-08-2011, 10:26 AM
Hi Sox,
Just wondering if you have been riding for long ?
By the way, that is a very lovely looking bike.
I take your point about the 250's and add to that that the Hyosungs are even harder to resell. That said, something like an xvs 650 would probably be too much power & scare the crap out of me. On various forums around the place, 250's are often recommended as good learner size bikes.
Still, I will keep buying those lotto tickets, maybe I can jag a few thousand to go Honda shopping with . My kids keep telling me I'm way over to be on 2 wheels (lol), but I still dont feel old and I've always wanted to ride a bike, just commuter stuff, just never got around to it.

I stated riding back in the 60's, an old Indian (which I wish I still had), BSA's, Matchless, then progressed to Jap bikes, Honda CB750, Kawasaki z900, z1 etc... Stopped riding in the late 70's, early 80's, and then started again around 2009.
I bought my wife a Yamaha Virago 250 (which is one you should consider as they are priced well and sell easily), and thought I'd try riding it. Well after I had had knee surgery, and an angle replacement, riding crotch rockets where you had to tuck your feet up under your as$ was out of the question and thought that I'd try my wife's little cruiser. Well I got to riding the Yammy more than my wife did as I didn't have a problem with my knees, and finally she just said go out and get my own.
Looked at all of them (Suzuki, Kawasaki Yamaha etc) and the Honda which just fitted me nicely, plus Honda was doing a great deal at the time for new ones so I grabbed one... Have never regretted it...

My wifes Yamaha Virago 250...
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k60/soxOZ/Just%20Photos/DC7_1684_1072c02cr.png